Melinda
Accepted Solution

Watch movies on TV with laptop?

I have a satellite A355-S6925 which I love.  Is it possible to connect this to a TV to watch movies that are on the laptop?  Does the fact that I do not have the s video and HDMI out port mean I can't connect the laptop to a TV or what would I need to purchase to do so?  Thanks for any help- I could not find an answer for this model in the forums but found my other questions. Melinda

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Watch movies on TV with laptop?

If your TV has the port, your best choice would be to use the HDMI Output port on the left side of the computer. The advantages of the HDMI is that it is digital and has sound integrated in the connector. You could use the S-video too, but the video is not as good and you will also need a separate sound cable to the TV too.

Once you have the cable connected to the HDMI ports on both the TV and the computer, do an FN-F5 to direct the output to the TV set. You should see HDMI on the icon when you toggle thru your choices when using the FN-F5 keys. Just hold down the FN key while tapping the F5 key to loop thru the different selections.

Finally, make sure that the TV station selection is set for the HDMI port. Ususally this is one of the stations right below channel 2.

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

Melinda wrote:

I have a satellite A355-S6925 which I love.  Is it possible to connect this to a TV to watch movies that are on the laptop?  Does the fact that I do not have the s video and HDMI out port mean I can't connect the laptop to a TV or what would I need to purchase to do so?  Thanks for any help- I could not find an answer for this model in the forums but found my other questions. Melinda

Yes, it's possible, but it won't be cheap.  You'll need a VGA to component converter and the good ones are $250+.

VGA (RGB/HV) to Component Video (Y-Pr-Pb) Converter

Melinda

I figured it would be fairly expensive, but it might be worth it in the long run.  Thanks for your help! Melinda