KShort
Accepted Solution

Videos aren't playing-only green screen. Youtube will only play in 240p.

Hi. I got my toshiba satellite laptop with windows 8 on it only one month ago. I had been playing videos and such on it just fine but now all of a sudden when I try a youtube video all i see is green and I have to switch the settings to 240 p to make it work-in a low quality. I can hear the sound with the green screen-just not the picture. I also tried playing videos from other sites and also videos I downloaded from my camera and it's doing the same thing. HELP PLEASE. I have such bad luck with computers. Thank you for your time.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Videos aren't playing-only green screen. Youtube will only play in 240p.

Which computer? There is a label on the bottom.

In the meantime, try this.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced tab > set the check box for Use software rendering...

Then restart the computer this way.

Settings > Power > Restart

IE10.jpg

-Jerry
Leshialee

[ Edited ]

Your a Genuis!!! Thanks for making the instructions simple, and easy to follow with propper illustration. Thanks to you my Youtube videos now work prefectly, and it only took a minute to do, WOW! , thanks a million!!!! Leshialee, NO! more green screen for me...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you. The original poster apparently never came back to see the solution.

-Jerry
mrssajustice

This worked perfectly for me!!!!!   However...every time the computer goes into sleep mode, it wakes up with the same problem.  I go through the steps you mentioned in order to fix it, and the chech box in the advanced tab is still checked. I uncheck it, and recheck it, restart the computer, and voila, problem fixed; but why is it continuing to have the same problem time and time again?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

-Jerry
KHE
KHE

This worked for me, it was fast and easy, unlike other sites I visited that were complicated and did nothing to fix problem. Thank You!: catvery-happy:

z31jaime

Just got a NEW Toshiba C55,

when first booted up plays all videos just fine, after about 15min i start getting green screen and Black screens on all video.  even following the direction above nothing gets fixed until I restart with gives me 15 min again and then its back to green screen. 

I contacted Toshiba thinking it would be under warranty and was told they only cover "hardware" problems in the warranty period.  WTF I CANT PLAY VIDEO... clearly something is wrong. 

I payed for support and was told AMD hasn't released compatable drivers for windows 8.1 and until that happens they can't do anything to fix my problem. 

How can Toshiba/Best Buy sell a laptop with an OS with incompatable drivers and then refuse to warranty it? 

Peter

What C55 do you have, z31jaime?

- Peter
kevin_bui131

[ Edited ]

just like z31jaime

the same thing happened to me i purchased a toshiba C55D-B5206 recently and the steps provided above doesnt work until i restart my comp which then will give me a maximum amount of 1 day before the problem occur again and i have to repeat the step ;-;

TRAMEY

the Solution doesn't work for me.
 Did exactly what the solution showed, no luck and still have green screen if i play a vidieo off of any website

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

-Jerry
kevin_bui131

C55D-B5206 brand NEW from bestbuy

I turn on the computer and everything was fine. Awhile later all the videos are green and i couldnt fix it. The above doesnt work UNTIL i restart the laptop which will then give me like 1-2 hours before i have to restart the comp.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C55D-B5206

...will then give me like 1-2 hours before i have to restart the comp.

Try resetting IE11. Then make sure that software rendering is in use.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

Closing and restarting Internet Explorer should be sufficient.

-Jerry
Barb-T

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem with my new laptop.  I will start it up in the morning, and by early afternoon, I cannot view ANY video...not on Facebook, not even a video I took with my camera and stored on my computer.  Something is seriously wrong?  My husband says all my drivers are up to date.  I've gone into the Internet Options into Advanced and checked the accelerated graphics box.  I am not sure why I am having this problem?  Any ideas?  Advice/help is greatly appreciated!  

tensas22

Thanks, helped me too.  Really easy fix, but I was totally fustrated and lost.  Thanks again!!!

Leshialee wrote:

Your a Genuis!!! Thanks for making the instructions simple, and easy to follow with propper illustration. Thanks to you my Youtube videos now work prefectly, and it only took a minute to do, WOW! , thanks a million!!!! Leshialee, NO! more green screen for me...

maeganbode

I am also having this problem. I just bought the satellite C75D-B7200 less than a month ago. Tried the suggestion and it worked for a littl while then stopped. I can't watch any videos that I out on or any on facebook, youtube, or netflix.

Barb-T

[ Edited ]

Okay....brand new laptop ( < 2 mths old).  Runs Windows 8.1.   Turn on and for about 20-30 minutes, have all video.  After that time, NO video, only audio.  This is: Facebook video, internet video (cbs.com for example) and video on my computer (taken with a camera for example).  I CAN see You Tube videos though.  ??   After days on the phone with Toshiba and ruling out hardware issue, have finally figured out this is a software problem.  Now, before I go further.....

hardware warranty is 1 yr.

phone tech support is 90 days warranty

software support is non-existant (because the software is not made by Toshiba, they just loaded onto the machine)

SO, IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, ADDRESS THEM IMMEDIATELY WITHIN YOUR 90 WINDOW!!!

so, for $99, they can "fix" my software problem.  We have decided to try and fix it ourselves. 

This is what we believe the problem to be:  there seems to be an issue with Windows Media Player (in Windows 8.1).  We uninstalled that and that has helped with the computer videos.   It has not helped with the online video (such as Facebook, CBS.com, etc...), so we are thinking that is an Adoble Flash Player problem.  Going to work on that next.

Worst case scenario, I wipe 8.1 off this machine and put Windows 7 on it.

So, what I've learned is that it is defective software being loaded onto the laptops causing the green screen.  Not entirely 100% Toshibas fault...but, they annoy me wanting to charge me MORE $$ to fix it because it's not "them" and not covered under any warranty.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C75D-B7260

Downloads here.

ruling out hardware issue, have finally figured out this is a software problem..

The only way to rule out hardware issues is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents. If you haven't done so, time to do it. That removes everything you have added.

Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery tab > Recovery tab > Remove everything and reinstall Windows

Or you can Refresh the installation, which replaces everything but your data files.

Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery tab > Recovery tab > Refresh your PC without affecting your files

If the problem persists, then it is not caused by software.

-Jerry
Barb-T

[ Edited ]

Toshiba phone support has accessed my computer remotely many times.  THEY have determined I do not have a hardware problem...they were the one who diagnosed it to be a software problem.  I was working with a supervisor from that department.  I don't need to recover and start "fresh out of the box"...this has been a problem since the box was opened!  Yes, I have had this problem from the beginning. We uninstalled Windows Media Player and now I use VLC to open video.  This fixed all my non-internet video.

We updated Adobe Flash Player (because I found out I didn't have the updated version), and that has seemed to fix the internet video.

The strangest thing with all of this was this: I would start up my laptop and look at Facebook.  The FIRST time I opened Facebook and did this, all the video was there and fine.  IF I closed it and went back to it (either right away or later), I would have that green screen....which, makes NO sense...but, does indicate a software problem.

I'm glad I didn't give Toshiba $99 to "fix" my problem.  We may have just fixed it ourselves.  The odd thing about paying to fix it, the 14 day $99 "fix" was a "guarantee solution".  YET, I had the option to "upgrade" to a 1 year "fix" for $69 more.  IF you are going to guarantee the fix in the original $99 fix, WHY would anyone want to pay to upgrade to a year for more money?   I will tell you this...I loved my first Toshiba laptop...the reason I bought this one.  I will NOT buy another.  Guaranteed.