jimzhr

Vertical Line on Monitor

I have a Satellite P105-S6114 purchased from Costco 10/2006.  It has a 17" monitor.  Recently a vertical line has appeared on the screen when the computer is on.  The line is just left of center and runs from top to bottom.  It is about 1/32" wide and seems to remain a light purple color.  An ideas?  I'd like to think my monitor is not going out or that the line is not going to get any larger.  Thanks for any input!  JIm

JamieHinds

Re: Vertical Line on Monitor

Jim, I have the same laptop and just two days ago the same vertical line appeared on my screen.  I logged onto this site and found your message.  I don't have any answers, just the same questions you have.  Can anyone out there help us?

Jamie

Regular Advisor
LawrenceB

Vertical lines on the display usually mean the LCD panel is defective and will need to be replaced. The cost of a replacement panel could cost almost as much as you paid for the laptop

jimzhr

I appreciate the response though not good news!  Any ideas whether the line will enlarge over time, remain the same or whether the entire screen will just go blank at some point.  I can live with the line when I think about replacing the computer.  Thanks again!

petitchoco

[ Edited ]

sorry for the bad news guys, but it will only get worse. About one fifth of my screen has now gone completely light yellow, and several vertical lines of different colours runs through the rest of the screen. The lines stay the same size, but more and more will keep appearing. Of what I have seen on the the net about this, most people say to replace the LCD, although having experienced how useless toshiba's repairs service is (I had to used the one here in Japan and my computer is still furiously over-heating after "repairs") I would recommend buying a separate LCD rather than replacing the one from your laptop. It's not practical because this is a laptop, but unless you want to pay a fortune for an LCD replacement on the laptop itself, it seems to be the only way.

p1056114

I believe "Toshiba" manufactured a bad series cause mine did the same but half the screen.  The tech support said she can only help if I was willing to pay $75 for each technical question.  BAD PRODUCT  =  BAD BUSINESS!

LRM
Occasional Contributor
LRM

If you have a vertical line on the screen it's the LCD screen failure. It cannot be fixed and the screen has to be replaced. Most likely you'll get more lines in the future.

LCD screens used to be expensive but not anymore. For example, a brand new LCD for P105-S6114 laptop can be purchased for about $120 on eBay. I think that's a good price for the LCD.

If you have some technical skills you can replace the failed LCD screen yourself and save bunch of money.

Cobra1

This is a very common problem with Toshiba laptops. The sad thing is that typically the number of lines will increase over time just past the expiration of the warranty. The problem is the LCD display that will need to be replaced. I contacted one of the Toshiba service centers and they wanted over $500 to do the repair, which is almost as much as getting a new laptop. I found that on Ebay they have these LCD displays for about $113 with free shipping and decided to just risk that amount replacing the display. Luckily, the replacement arrived in just a couple of days, was an easy job and now the computer is back to like new performance. It was a shame that the Toshiba service center wanted to scam me with their price. On Iris you will also find simple instructions on how to do it. Good luck.

norisand

You mentioned that you can replace the screen by buying a 17" lcd screen on ebay and you mentioned finding instructions on "how to"  on "Iris".  Pleas tell me the link to find the instructions on "How To"

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Many models are there.

Disassemble, repair and upgrade Toshiba laptop yourself.

-Jerry