joseluismietta

Use TV as monitor

Hello everyone.

I wanna connect my laptop Satellite L635-SP3001L to my TV using any of the video outputs of my laptop (HDMI or VGA). My TV has s-video input and RCA input (yellow, white and red) (no
video component input).
How should I proceed to connect my laptop to my tv?

Is it correct to connect the laptop through, for example, a cable vga to s-video, and then enable the TV screen by pressing win + P?

Is there a function to enable TV-out on the laptop? Is this Fn+F5? (I guess when I connect the tv to the laptop will enable a second display)

I await your responses.

Thanks a lot!!

Regards,
José Luis

Super Advisor
brad

Re: Use TV as monitor

You'd need a convertor box.

Something like: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&for...

The cables that don't have any electronics in them most likely won't work, they were meant for video chips that supported TV out, which are rare now.

The resolution for the TV output will be disappointingly low if you want to be able to read text.

Once connected, you'd treat the TV just like an external monitor.  Fn-F5 should be able to direct the video output where you want it.

joseluismietta

[ Edited ]

Hello again.

In my desktop pc (which has an output s-video) I could easily use my tv as a monitor by connecting the pc to the tv (with an s-video input) via a cable s-video/s-video.

Why not the same thing can be done by connecting the laptop to the tv through the laptop's vga output and s-video input on the TV using the appropriate cable (vga - s-video)?

I await your responses.

Regards,
José Luis

Super Advisor
brad

Because s-video is not the same as VGA

At some point in the past, some models of Toshiba computers did also have an s-video output, but I do not know of any recent ones that have that extra output.

joseluismietta

Hello again.

In my TV (CRT) there is also a YUV video input (green, blue and red). I think it's a component video input

This cable:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-120277345-cable-hdmi-a-videocomponente-3-rca-oro-mallado-pla...

will be useful to use the TV as a monitor or also need a converter?

regards,
José Luis

Super Advisor
brad

Needs a convertor.

Component is also not the same as VGA.  Different signals.

But go ahead and try whatever you want.

joseluismietta

Thanks a lot brad.

I bought the convertor and it works perfectly.

Thanks again.

regards,
José Luis

Super Advisor
brad

Great, glad you got it working!