Awesometific

Update Drivers Radeon 3100

I have a Satellite P305D-S8816 running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

I have been playing Star Trek Online for over a year. The game kept telling me my Graphics driver is out of date and will run with lower settings. Two days ago the game stopped running and told me that it could not render D3D. Now my screen savers are telling me that it requires a newer video card or one compatiable with Direct3D.

Toshiba keeps telling me that my drivers are up to date (there have been no updates since 2008 when I bought my computer) AMD says it cannot provide updates because Toshiba should provide the updates.

So my question is, how on earth can I get a driver update so I can get back to playing.

I bought this laptop in 2008 and it has been an excellent product. I will really hate to lose it just because I cannot get updates for the video card

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Update Drivers Radeon 3100

Satellite P305D-S8816

You have run into the main problem with Toshiba laptops for most gamers. Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using the Toshiba supplied drivers, otherwise strange problems can and do develop. But, on the other hand, Toshiba is norotiously slow in updating their drivers. In fact, they usually only update their drivers if there is a proven problem with their last driver that can be consistently replicated.

So, we might be able to update your driver, but you have to undersatnd that you may develop other problems, like the brightness controls may stop working, freezing, perhaps even overheating, etc.

So, understanding the problems you might develop, and if you still want to try to update your drivers, do this. First, go into Device Manager by clicking on 'Start', then type in   devmgmt.msc   and click on this file. Click on the arrow beside 'Display adapter', right click on the 'ATI/AMD Radeon 3100' device, click on 'Uninstall' and put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', and then click 'OK' to confirm uninstall, close Device Manager.

Next, go into 'Control Panel - Programs and Features' and uninstall any ATI Catalyst Control software, reboot if necessary.

Then download this driver and double click to install. This is from the AMD Graphics Drivers general download site by inputting: Integrated Motherboard Graphics, Radeon 3xxx Series, Radeon 3100 Series, Windows Vista - 32 Bit:

AMD Radeon Video Card Drivers & Catalyst Suite

You may want to also download your Toshiba supplied display driver, just in case you find you have developed problems you can't live with. In that case, repeat the display driver and ATI Catalyst Control uninstall procedures above, then reinstall your Toshiba driver.

AMD/ATI Display Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

Please let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Mike