Peter

Re: Toshiba laptop starts up, but screen stays black.

Now that performance is further degrading, it sounds like a hardware failure of some sort. I'd recommend you seek servicing for the laptop.

- Peter
mbrownx4

Hello all, I have an L455-s5009 Toshiba with a similar problem that has been going on for a while.  First off, the screen goes dark-you can sometimes see something very dimly and sometimes not.  I replaced the video cable, but the same results.  Tried the trick with taking out battery, removing power cord and pushing the power button for the proper time and that worked for a bit-but the black screen returned.  Sometimes I can get the screen to stay on for a few hours, such as when I did a factory restore.  But the next day-back to the same.  I have attached an external monitor and that works, but still not the main screen.  Frustrating because my daughter likes this old one better than the one I got to replace it.  I'm not interested in putting a lot of money into it however.

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite L455-S5009 Specifications

Satellite L455-S5009 Downloads

Sounds like the inverter is going/gone. See the page below, gives a fair explanation of various display problems.

Do I need a Laptop Screen?

Satellite L455-S5009 Parts List

K000087330 Inverter

How to replace and fix laptop inverter - any brand / any model

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

nic1129

I'm having a similar problem with my laptop. The only difference is that my cursor is still on the screen. I can move it around the black screen, but nothing more. This happens when the computer goes into sleep mode. When I restart the computer by hitting the power button, it shows the Toshiba graphics and then the "start windows normally" or "start in safe-mode" screen comes on. After I hit "start windows normally," the screen goes blank. It stays black for about 10 minutes. Then, the windows screen comes up. Does this have something to do with needing an update? Could I have a virus that could be making this happen? (I have AVG, so it's protected.)
Super Advisor
miker643

If you start in 'Safe Mode', does the graphic user interface start, and are you able to work in Safe Mode?

Also, we need your full model name/number, there's a Toshiba label on the bottom of your unit. In addition, what version on Windows are you running, Windows 7 64bit, or?

Mike

Kevn_541

this has just happened to me recently and ive tried all of the things on the forum so far except for the external monitor seeing as i dont have one to attach it to. 

I have a toshiba satellite l655d-s5109

Is there anything else I can do without an external monitor?

elfearless

yes but still not working

_Anjelika05_

Hello everyone,

My Satellite U305-S7449 turns on but the screen stays black. I can hear it running. I have tried removing the battery and all other connections pressing down the power button for the above mentioned time and then replacing the battery. Screen is still black. When I connect it to the AC adapter the battery icon at the very bottom of the screens shows up as orange, I let it charge for several hours and that orange color never went away. Makes all the sounds that if would when it would work normally. I really don't want to get it back to out-of-the-box mode since I have many pictures and videos of my family and friends.

Please help!!

Thank you all!!!
mubarak

I am also having the same problem with my Toshiba c655 .. But when I turn it on without plug in charger, it runs for upto 10 seconds without display and then turns off again.. And when I start it with charging then it runs continuously but without display ! Can't judge what's the issue in it .. Can any 1 help .. 

Hughmungus

[ Edited ]

Hi, I had the same issue on my netbook nb305. It's quite a common problem if you google it. The connector on the back of the lcd becomes detached probably through man handling and temperature changes.

At the bottom of the bezel are two brown pads, prize them out and you will see two screws, undo them and then prize off the bezel gently ... it will come off trust me.

You will then be faced with 4 silver screws, remove them and the back of the lcd will be exposed.

If you want to take the 4 black screws out at the side to completely remove the lcd it makes it easier to push the connector back in. At the bottom you will see a braded cable that goes round the back of the lcd and is taped on with black tape. gently pull this tape off to expose the lcd connector, you may find it is loose or detached already. Gently push this connector back in sliding it upwards into the socket.

Power it up before you put it back together, all should be ok. This has worked for loads of people who thought they need a new screen.

As this was the fix for my nb305 my guess is that all other toshies suffer from the same poor quality connection and will want to charge you for a new screen.

Try this first at your own risk but I was willing to save a few GBP's by doing it.

dunyazade

Hughmungus wrote:

Hi, I had the same issue on my netbook nb305. It's quite a common problem if you google it. The connector on the back of the lcd becomes detached probably through man handling and temperature changes.

I want to check out this possibility on a Tecra A9, but its screen doesn't have the same little screw covers. Does anyone  know how to get into that model to check the LCD connector? Thanks. 

diamondjim

Google your Toshiba laptop number along with replacing CMOS clock. I was able to find step by step instructions with pictures about how to take it apart, replace the CMOS clock, and reassemble. Took maybe 30 min working slow and carefully to take apart. Went back together in about 15 min. Wasn't hard.

diamondjim

Make sure you ground yourself or wear a grounding band (available at most electronic stores, Frys, Radio Shack, etc)

kave

Re: Toshiba laptop starts up, but screen stays " almost "black.

hi i have almost same problem but my screen isn't quite off and it went very very dark i'd try everything you suggest to the other user but nothing happend. somthing is died in my lcd? how much fixing it gonna cost me? please answer fast. i appericiate that.thanks
Deanna

Toshiba laptop starts up, but screen stays black.

[ Edited ]

A505-S6980 Mine is doing the similar. Power works, screen black. In fact, if I hold a lamp in front of the screen I can barely see my desktop. I have been able to get online and all on it, but cannot see it with out the lamp. I tried changing the inverter, but no luck. Any Ideas? Is there a backlight switch? The screen was only 3 months old. My 2 year old climbed up and started pressing buttons, and it went black. I cannot figure out if he hit something to make it go off or if it's a faulty bulb. Please Help!

fpddragon

had same issue , but after a quick though i unplugged the computer and took out the battery, and waited a few min . after reinstalling the battery and starting up it worked fine think it has somrthing to do with the sleep mode.

men
men

Hi.

If you experience problems with the backlighting on intel hd graphics I suggest you take a look at bkltON at:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0q5YdCY_L5QSFB4OUZpUmYxYTQ/edit?usp=sharing

bkltON enables manual control of the backlighting on the sandy bridge (2nd generation intel core of 2011) integrated graphics.

That is intel hd 3000/2000.

The sourcecode can be modified to enhance the compatibility if later hardware versions doesn't respond properly.

Have a nice day.

Erusidhion

[ Edited ]

Update: Got the new keyboard put in, still has the same symptoms. F2 or F12 will work and once it's in BIOS or boot device select keyboard doesn't work, usb keyboard/usb mouse doesn't work even when it loads to Windows 8. I'm going to take the motherboard back out and go over it with a magnifying glass and see if I can see anything burnt. I'll update this thread later.

I am going to leave this here for further google research to show this, but I had the same problem as a few people. I would turn on the laptop, the screen would not turn on, but power light was on, dvd/cd drive spun, battery charging light was on but there was no HD activity.

I am awaiting a PM from Peter with a question as to whether the Fn functionality that Toshiba has is built into their keyboards/BIOS but when I unplugged my keyboard ribbon, the computer then booted up just fine. However, if somehow your keyboard FN key disabled trackpad and some other stuff, a usb keyboard/usb mouse won't work either. It's possible Fn is saved in BIOS perhaps and computer remembers it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlO5crblG64&list=PL859D41CB36E1F01D

Not everyone feels adventurous enough to take their computer apart but the keyboard is a really easy thing to disconnect. The above video is a general video but there's a website that has a lot of Toshiba guides as well:

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

If anyone is having this problem, can you check and see if it boots up after unhooking the keyboard? This may not work for everyone my model is L305D-S5934, an oldie XD Try all the other steps Peter mentioned first though before resorting to this. It's a quick easy check and takes not even 5 minutes to disconnect the keyboard ribbon.

I have a replacement keyboard on the way from Amazon, about $20.00, I got a thread in the Keyboard/Touchpad section as well, so I'll update both threads and let you know if the new Keyboard fixed my problems. I will probably have to re-install Windows 8 however, I'm not sure if a damaged keyboard, short-circuited spamming keys at Windows OS did any damage; probably.

LuckyClovette

I have a Satelitte A305-S6872

I am having the same problem.  Black screen & no hard drive light.  The power light comes on and it sounds like it's running but I see nothing.  I've re-booted with no avail.

Halvdan

Hello! I seem to be having a similar problem.  My Toshiba S855D-S5253 is showing a black screen when I try to boot it up.  Occasionally, one or more one-pixel thick colored lines will appear on the screen but has happened on only a few boot ups.  The backlight is functioning fine.  The computer sounds normal, and the caps lock and num lock keys respond properly.  Pressing ctrl-alt-delete seems to cause the computer to restart.  This is the third time I have had this problem with my computer.  Previously, the problem went away after a few hours and the computer functioned normally, but it happend again about 5 or 6 days later.  I have tried removing the battery and holding down on the power button for a minute but that doesn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!