sergiob95

Toshiba laptop starts up, but screen stays black.

Last night, I was using my Satellite L675D-S7016 laptop when it all of sudden it began to run slowly and the screen was becoming all laggy. After about 30 seconds, it had suddenly shut off. So I had tried turning it back on, and it ran fine again for about 30 minutes until the issue had repeated itself. Only this time, when I went to try and turn it back on again, the screen had not turned on. My battery was at full charge before hand so I know it had nothing to do with that. I would hear the laptop running, yet my screen would stay black. I had done a little research of the problem and here are the following things I had done that have not worked:

-Taking the battery out, holding the power key for 60 seconds, putting the battery in and turning it on

-Letting the laptop die out until it needed to be recharged and plugging it into the AC adapter (the AC adapter is working, my laptop went back to running but the screen staying black)

-Cleaning out the inside of my laptop to see if dust was the problem

None of the above have worked for me and I'm hoping that somebody may have a solution. If anyone can help me with my problem, I will forever thank you. If all else fails, I will take it in to see if it needs any repairing after I try seeing if the display will come up on an external monitor. Thanks again.

Peter

Re: Toshiba laptop starts up, but screen stays black.

When you turn on the notebook, nothing appears on the screen at all now? If you have an external monitor, have you tried that?

- Peter
wcguthrie

I am experiencing a similar situation. On re-boot the monitor is lit, but I have no display. You can hear the windows logo sign-on. After about 10-15 restarts, the video returns.

I do not loose the video when logging off, switching users, or in sleep mode; only on reboot or power down and restart.

What could be the issue?

docarchy

Wow. Having the same problem as well. Although didn't have the same symtoms running up to the problem we now have.

I have a Toshiba Satelite A215. Had closed down the laptop lid and let it sleep. Opening back the laptop lid, the baterry, power and AC power light comes on, but screen is blank. Held down the power button to turn it off and turn it back on, but screen remains blank. No sounds. Keyboard lights up when it turns on. The same 3 blue lights come on, but hard drive light stays off and doesn't blink.

Tried the same 3 suggestions sergiob95 posted, and nothing has changed.

I notice there is a BIOS update for a blank screen issue, but I can't apply the update since I can't get the computer to come up.

Peter

docarchy, try using an external monitor temporarily to apply it.

wcguthrie, so this problem never happens randomly? It only happens when you reboot or power off the notebook?

- Peter
wcguthrie

Peter:

Works on external monitor but not laptop screen.

tazzman1on1

I have a similar problem with my NB205 the screen stays black but the back light works perfectly. I took the hold thing down and played with the connections and nothing. Sometimes it would come up and work for me but if the screen goes to sleep it will never come back on again. I updated the BIOS to 2.10 and I know the video card works because I hooked it up to a external monitor and the computer is working fine. Even if a miracle happens and comes on during first boot up, when time to put in my password and that split second when the screen goes black to bring you to the desktop it stays black. It s frustrating. 

Does anybody have a solution, I think there is a software error somewhere.

docarchy

Peter, I did try plugging it into an external monitor. But external monitor stays blank as well. :smileysad:

Peter

Can I get the full model number (not serial number) from the three of you? There should be two parts to it. For example "NB205" is only partial.

wcguthrie, tazzman1on1, check in your BIOS to see if there's a setting for choosing between the internal LCD and an external monitor.

- Peter
wcguthrie

Peter"

The loptop screen works when switching between users and when logging off. I loose video on the laptop screen if I reboot or power down.

I have updated to the current bios, win 7 prof all updates and installed the latest Intel video driver.

I never loose video on the external monitor.

I have told the video card to send video to both screens at the same time. I have a signal on the external monitor, but no signal on the laptop screen.

Wcguthrie

wcguthrie

Peter:

L515-S4960

Peter

How long have you been having this problem?

If it just started happening recently, you could try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

Unfortunately, I'm running out of ideas.

You could try doing a recovery (as opposed to a System Restore). Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide (hold '0' while booting and then follow the prompts). The advantage is that if the problem persists, you know positively that it's a hardware issue.

You might just want to contact support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
wcguthrie

Peter:

Thanks; I am beginning to think this it is a bad video card or the screen is dying. Not sure that I want to go back to the original "out of the box" condition. I added MS office as a download and there have been many updates.

thanks for the ideas

wcguthrie

cplrazo

I have a similar problem with my laptop. I have tried everything i have read but nothing seems to work. My laptop is a Satallite L305D-S5934. I turn it on it shows the Toshiba Start up then the cursor shows up on the top then goes completly blank. I tried to connect it to a Projector to see if I could see the start up then but still nothing. Do you have any suggestions?
Peter

cplrazo, try this. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

- Peter
sdfurr

Hi all,

I am having the same issue and I was wanting to see if there was an update.  I have a C655-S5056 w/ windows 7.

Fans and HDD spin, lights flash, DVD spins up, no LCD (not even a flicker).  Worked fine this morning, went to hibernate for an hour or two and now nothing.  External monitor did not work.

Scott

Peter

Scott, try what I suggested in the previous message to another user.

- Peter
marie_fahy

Peter, I've reviewed all of your posts regarding the Toshiba laptop screen staying black and have tried your sollutions, taking out the battery, pressing the power button, then putting the battery back in and that didn't do anything. I've updated the Bios and the video driver. When I attach the laptop to an external monitor, I'm good to go but want to be mobile with my laptop. Any other suggestions. I have a Satellite L305-S5955.

I know Dell has a site where you can go to follow hardware instructions to dismantle and replace parts. Do you know if Toshiba has a URL with that info as well? I was thinking about reseating the LCD and the video card and using canned air to clean under the keyboard and stuff but don't know where I might find online info on dismantling the laptop. Any help would be appreciated!!  Maybe I need to replace the LCD?

Peter

marie_fahy, no, Toshiba doesn't have a page like that. Before you spend money having the LCD replaced, I'd try a factory recovery. Yes, you'll lose all your data, but it will either fix it or rule out software completely.

- Peter
marie_fahy

Peter, the laptop will no longer display when connected to an external monitor. Any suggestions?