PIT748

Toshiba Tecra M5-S5332 RGB Monitor Output port not working

I have a Toshiba Tecra M5-S5332.  I have an 18" external monitor that I use when working in my home office.  I connect my Tecra to the external monitor either through my docking station or by direct connection to the RGB (monitor) Out Port.  For 2 years, I have been able to press the hotkeys  [Fn] + [F5] to change the display priority to Internal only, Internal/External display, External only and so forth.  This way I could disconnect the Laptop and use it elsewhere and then return it to the home office and take advantage of the bigger monitor.

My problem is I can no longer press the hotkeys  [Fn] + [F5] to change the display priority.   When I try, the internal screen displays the options on the laptop screen but it will not actually change the display.  I was being forced to use the internal display (only) which is frustrating due to the small size and my eyes starting to go bad (old age setting in I guess).  My initial thought is that it might be a hardware failure of the RGB port. However, I just Shut down the laptop, plugged in the external monitor using the RGB Out Port, and now the External monitor is working but the Internal is not.  So basically I have lost the ability to switch back and forth between internal and external monitors or to use both (internal/external) monitors at the same time.

Help!!!! 

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on and how I might be able to return the original functionality back to the way it was?

Much appreciation in advance if anyone can give me some suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Tecra M5-S5332 RGB Monitor Output port not working

Tecra M5-S5332

Try reinstalling all these utilities in this order.

Toshiba ACPI Common Modules for Windows   

Toshiba Hotkey Utility for Display Devices for Windows XP

Toshiba Display Device Change Utility for Windows XP

If that doesn't help, reinstall the display driver.

Intel 945GM/GML Display Driver for Windows XP

-Jerry
PIT748

Jerry, Thanks for your suggestions.  I see you had similar advice for anaPR and your suggestions worked for him.

I installed the 3 utilities in the order you had mentioned but it did not solve my problem.  I then tried to reinstall the display driver as you had suggested.  During the install, I received the following message:  "One or more files that are required for installation are either missing or corrupt.  Setup will exit."

I am running Windows XP Professional v 2002 SP 3. 

By the way, I can see my (blank)desktop picture when connected to an external monitor now but it seems to be an extended desktop which is not what I am trying to do.  Now, when I press FN + F5 the various icons are displayed and it defaults to [1] [2] but when I try to make it [1] [1] it has no affect.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any more information.

Thanks again for trying to help me.  I appreciate it.

Ed

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..reinstall the display driver as you had suggested.  During the install, I received the following message:  "One or more files that are required for installation are either missing or corrupt.  Setup will exit."

Let's try it another way, Ed.

Unzip the video_driver_intel_25085B.exe file, but don't run setup.exe.

Note the folder into which the 139 files go. It looks like the *.inf files are in the Win2000 folder.

Then use the Hardware Update Wizard to install from Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) as roughly explained at the folloiwng link. You'll want to naviagate to the folder containing the *.inf files. The Wizard should locate the correct file.

Have disk driver installation steps for Microsoft Windows XP

Good luck!

-Jerry
PIT748

[ Edited ]

Jerry,

Thanks again for your help. Are you sure this is the right driver for the Tecra M5?  I tried the install and I am not sure of the results.  I did everything you instructed me to in the directions.  The only *.inf file under the /Win2000 directory was ialmnt5.inf.  After rebooting, my resolution was poor as the Color Quality was set to Lowest (8 bit) and there is only one device driver under Device Manager where as before there was two.  I will attach some pictures links below. I changed the Color Quality to the Highest (32 bit) and it seemed to help.

Now when I press [FN] + [F5], I no longer see any icons.  However, the laptop is toggling (without icon view) to allow me to see the video on my external and my internal at the same time which was my goal at the beginning.

My questions that still remain are:

- Should I be seeing a second display driver as I had before I attempted the install?

- Should I be seeing the icons choices when I press [FN] + [F5]?

- Is there another driver I should be installing?  (I am not sure how to "add" another driver).

- Do you see anything out of whack in my attached pictures? 

Photos:

(Deleted by Poster)

Thanks,

Ed

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Are you sure this is the right driver for the Tecra M5?

No, I'm not. Try this one.

Intel Display Driver for Windows XP

-Jerry
PIT748

Jerry,

You are the MAN!!! The third time was a charm.  Everything on my laptop is working the way it was before my issue.  Wheww!!!!  I thought I had a hardware problem.  Thank you very much!!  If you ever travel through Pittsburgh, give me a shout and I owe you a few beers!

Can you help explain how my driver got whacked in the first place?  Why do these things happen sometimes?  Just curious on what not to do in the future to prevent this from ever happening again.

Please tell your managers/supervisors that having support like this with your quick responses will lead me back to buying Toshiba again the next time I go shopping for a laptop.

Thanks again!!

Ed

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to learn that worked out, Ed, and thanks for the invitation.

Can you help explain how my driver got whacked in the first place?  Why do these things happen sometimes?

I visualize an especially energetic cosmic particle bumping a bit in memory and getting written back to the hard drive. Drivers do somehow get corrupted from time to time.

Please tell your managers/supervisors that having support like this with your quick responses will lead me back to buying Toshiba again the next time I go shopping for a laptop.

There are no tech-support people from Toshiba in the forum. We're all users just like you.

(And in my business, I'm the top boss <g>.)

-Jerry