mlhood

Toshiba Satellite P505-S8980 getting Blu-Ray to HDTV?

I have a Toshiba Satellite P505-S8980 running Windows 7 with a Blu-ray drive and using Corel WinDVD Pro. Now, playing the Blu-ray on the computer is just fine but when I hook the computer to the TV it gives me the prompt,
"Your display environment does not support protected content playback". Now, all the forums and posts about this indicate an HDCP problem, but both TVs I have tried it on are 1080p and have HDMI ports that are definitely HDCP compliant and HDMI cables are also compliant. I have made sure that the TV screen has been set to the only display because I know HDCP won't allow running on dual displays. I've now gone to using the RGB ports on the TV and Computer but I'm still getting the same message. I've updated the display driver with the only update I can find on this website. I'm out of things to try.

Can anyone help me get the Blu-ray to play on my TV?

Super Advisor
brad

Re: Toshiba Satellite P505-S8980 getting Blu-Ray to HDTV?

Try a different cable if you have one available.

They're pretty cheap if you buy online, I use Monoprice.com, but there are plenty of other places as well.

Also, make sure the video is only trying to play on one screen, doesn't seem to work if it's mirrored.  In fact, try setting the computer so it's only showing on the TV, and the internal monitor is dark.  Press and hold Fn, then press F5 until just the TV has video.

If it still won't go, it might need repair. :-(

mlhood

Thanks, yeah I've tried a few new cables and made sure just the TV was display. I do have a question though...

Do I need to install the nVidia Display Driver for Windows 7 (64)? Could this be part of the problem? If so, is there anything I need to do before I install that driver? I don't want to lose or mess up anything that's working right now.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Generally, this is not recommended for laptops, as the laptop manufacturers (mfgs) tend to tweak the cards and drivers provided to them by chipset mfgs. Though, you can see a somewhat related post about using nVidia's own drivers that worked here:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Video-Display/Video-drivers-for-Nvidia-GTX-460M/td-p/168316

HOWEVER, you don't have an nVidia grpahics card, you have an Intel graphics card. Therefore, you cannot use nVidia display drivers.

See my post on your other thread.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/Question-Satellite-P505-S8980-nVidia-Display-Driv...

Try the VLC player software first, sounds like you've tried everything else. And, it's the easiest and least hassle thing to try.

Mike

pots

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem.  I called Toshiba tech support and they were unable to resolve the problem. So I talked to a case manager. Her position? "Toshiba is a hardware company, not a software company. We are not responsible if the software doesn't work".  Without software your laptop doesn't do anything. They should stand behind the software that comes installed on the laptop.  Who the heck cares if you can play a blu-ray dvd on the tiny 16 inch laptop screen? the whole point of blu-ray is the high definition you get when you play it on a big screen!

I installed the trial version of CyberLink's PowerDVD 10 and using that I am able to play all the blu-ray DVDs that I have tried using the hdmi out port.  Now I guess I'm going to have to spend more money to buy this software.

[ Admin edit to remove Forums Terms of Service violations ]

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

pots,

I believe what the call center agent meant was that Toshiba doesn't provide support for usage of 3rd party bundled software features. Corel would support that directly.

That support-delivery point aside, your point of expecting your laptop to be able to play Blu-ray movies to an external HDCP-compliant display out of the box is well taken and I expect that's Toshiba's intent.

Please send me a Private Message with your laptop's serial number and I'll investigate and get back to you, and then follow up here as well for the benefit of mlhood and anyone else interested in the topic.

Jim

mlhood

Actually, I spoke to Corel and they told me that they would only address issues with their newest version, and it would probably solve my problem. So, I downloaded their new WinDVD Pro software and it still didn't work. They said it had to be my graphics card. I contacted Toshiba again, but their was no update available, so I have found nothing that would work. I'm with pots, it's ridiculous to buy a product, have all the verified equipment to use and it still not work and Toshiba not address the issue.
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

mlhood,

One apparently key piece of information from pots is that playing Blu-ray movies to an external HDCP display does work when using CyberLink PowerDVD 10.  I'm still investigating whether or not the bundled software is expected to support that feature.

Jim