reek-dogg

Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 webcam not working

i have had this laptop for about goin on 2 yrs now and havent never used the built in cam before..so decided to use it today and it said no device found....how do i fix this

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 webcam not working

[ Edited ]

Satellite A305-S6905

Can't hurt to reinstall this software. It usually includes the driver.

Camera Utility for Windows XP / Vista (32/64bit)

If that doesn't fix things: What are you doing when the message appears? Please attach a picture of the message.

-Jerry
reek-dogg

I did that and i get the same error box as before that says webcam driver open fail. please restart camera or computer......i dont do anything and i dont know how to attach a picture

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

i dont do anything..

So the message just appears at random? It jumps up every once in a while?

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and look for Imaging devices. Expand that and tell us what you see under it.

-Jerry
angel_girl

Hi there, i just read these posts and i am wondering jerry if you could help me too as i am having the same problem.  Pretty much at start up it comes up with the error 'Webcam OPen Driver Fail' and if i was to try and turn the webcam on ill get the same error.   I am wondering what your thoughts are and if you could help some way Jerry.

Thanks

x

lagoonfreek

I am experiencing the same problem and believe it may be related to an issue I've had with a "USB Device Not Recognized" issue I have been experiencing as well.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Camera Assistant Software and now I get the error message "Webcam driver open fail.  Restart camera or computer".  I have also looked into device manager and do not see any catagory labled Imaging Devices.  See the attached image.

Amber_Har

I have the same problem as well Jerry but when I downloaded the camera utility thing for windows XP it sort of helped. However when I try to use my webcam it says webcam driver open fail. Please restart camera or computer. I restarted my computer (laptop) but it didn't help. It still said please restart camera or computer. How can I restart my camera?

ladibug97

I am having the same problem.  I have reinstalled and still it has the same error message.  When I go into imaging devices when expanded it says Xerox work center pro scanner- which is not anything that I own.  Any ideas?

sadiia

Me too !

ker000

I'm having the hardest time with mine as well. . .  I can't figure out how to uninstall it so I can try to re-install it!!! It's driving me nuts because I really want to skype (again!).

Thanks for any help!!

holyquake

I have the exact same problem with my Satellite A300.  I tried to use it for Skype and it found no camera.  I updated every driver I could find, but when I try to open the camera it gives me the same error message.  Does it have anything to do with Windows 7?  I have used the camera in the past with Windows 7.

lscillitoe

Re: Toshiba Satellite A300-PSAG1E webcam not working

My webcam has also stopped working after 2 years with no problems? I have re-installed the drivers, checked the device manager and nothing is shown for this device any more? Please can you help. Regards
bashawk

Hi I also have the problem of webcam not working on my satalite A350 , It stopped working after 9 months. I have discovered that it is something to do with the connection  between the cam and body of the lap top. When I half close the lid the cam works,but when I open it fully the cam becomes disconnected and doese not appear on the device manager. My conclusion is that it's a design  fault whith the connection between the ld of the laptop and the main body.Toshiba must be aware of this fault and in my opinion should do something about it as it seems to be a general problem considering the number of enquiries on these forums.  Hope this helps. Barry    

Peter

[ Edited ]

bashawk, based on what you say about closing the laptop, it does seem that in your case it's a hardware problem. However, software issues haven't been ruled out in all cases.

With webcam failures like this, there are many possible fixes depending on the exact cause of the problem:

• reinstalling the driver
  • doing a System Restore
  • reinstalling Skype

Of course, doing a full System Recovery is the only way to rule out software completely.

[Edited to fix typo.]

- Peter
bashawk

I have tried all of those fixes and as I said before it is a fault with the connection between the lid and body of the computer,if you get the device manager screen on you will see the chicony camera will appere and disappere as you slowly close the lid,mine apperes at about halfway closed.

Peter

I agree with you, bashawk, that your issue seems to be due to a physical problem. I was just referring to the others in the thread in general with the list of other possible fixes depending on the cause. Often times what appears to be multiple people with the same issue can be people with the same symptoms but different causes.

I believe you should contact support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
bashawk

Hi Peter,thanks for help but the tel.no you gave me is not recognised.I will take my laptop to a local repiar shop and pay to have it fixed.Toshiba will not be on my shopping in future!!Barry

Kazekan

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to pipe in and say that we're having the same issue as Bashawk, although it's with an A305-S6872.  Once you close the lid halfway the camera appears in the Device Mangler and will not show up unless you do that.  Seems like quite the funky setup on Toshiba's part - I'm pretty disappointed.  I guess I'll have bad news for my friend.

pops55

I have a A305-S6872.  I was trying to skype and the camera did not work and I was looking for a fix and came upon this site, after reading this post I tried and once I close the lid halfway the camera started working. so I guess this is a bad setup on these laptops.

Jnewyork

I have a 3 year old Satellite A305-S6916 and have the same problem with my webcam not working. It worked before but I haven't used it in awhile and wanted to start Skyping. I have tried various software fixes but to no avail. I tried the suggestion above with closing the lid halfway. My webcam does not show up on the Device Manager screen but when I close the lid halfway the webcam shows up but only intermittently. From doing research this appears to be an issue seen across various Toshiba Satellite models and must be a flaw in their design. I think that Toshiba should be willing to fix this in our Satellites and if they don't then they have just lost a future customer in me.