nsxviper

Toshiba M305 laptop LCD screen flickers

I am trying to help fix my cousin’s Toshiba M305 laptop. It was having the flickering screen problem, so I went on ebay to buy a new replacement cable (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Toshiba-Satellite-M300-M305-LCD-Cable-DD0TE1LC000-/270577911369?cmd=ViewItem...). The company I bought it from sent the wrong cable at first because it didn’t have the connection to the webcam. I ended up getting the right cable and was able to keep the wrong cable. I have replaced it but the screen still flickers. Then I used the wrong cable and it still flickers. The external monitor connection works fine. I don’t think it’s the inverter though. It's not dim or overly bright, but I'll leave the laptop screen on cmos overnight to see if there's any changes with the lighting. Could the LCD screen have a faulty board or connection? I don't think any of the connections are loose considering that I have used the sticky tape that comes with the cable that holds it in place. I don't want to end up replacing the LCD screen since it is kind of expensive. The cable has already cost me $45. I am not sending it to Toshiba because the 1 year warranty has already expired. Any ideas on what could still be causing the flickering? Has anyone been successful in fixing this?
M305D-S4831

Re: Toshiba M305 laptop LCD screen flickers

I have a Toshiba M305D which had a similar problem and my issue was a related to the video cable.  After replacing it with a new one, I had the old "screen flickering with horizontal lines" problem re-occur afterwards. 

After removing the 4 rubber pads on the edges of the display frame with a pin, and unscrewing the screws underneath, you can take out the plastic screen display cover by carefully prying with a small screw driver on the edges.

At the bottom of the opened display you will see a small circuit board, which is the inverter. This supplies high voltage to the screen from the motherboard through the video cable.  It looks like the connection from the video cable to the left side of the power inverter, can become faulty when moving the display back and forth, causing the screen to flicker.

A loose or poor contact point between the plastic connector and the power inverter was my problem. The position of the plastic connector relative to the pins of the power inverter seems to be critical, because as you move the display, this causes a push or pull and rotation of the cable going to the plastic connector. Isolating this movement of the cable by using a glue gun, tape and or stuffing the cable cavity with something solved the problem for me and others. See thread in link below, posts #57 and #58.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/image-flickers-disappears-when-move-display-satellite-m305-m305d-lapto...

Others have reported that without removing the screen display cover, applying pressure 2 inches to the left of the Toshiba logo underneath the display, which is where the contact point from the video cable plug to the inverter is located, has reduced/eliminated the screen flickering.

ferdberfel

For what its worth, I had the same problem but finally fixed it.  This is after I replaced the screen with a new one, which I found out was unnecessary in my situation. 

The screen flicker was really bad.  I noticed however, that if I pressed the lower left corner of the screen together, front and back, putting some pressure on it like a small clamp, the flicering stopped.  The exact point was about two inches in on the bottom left corner of the screen.  If you put a small clamp or just use your hand to push the front towards the back at this point and the flicering stops, you probably have the same problem I had. 

When I took the screen apart, which is extremely easy, I noticed that this location was exactly where the plug connector was for the screen and the PC.  Also, there is a piece of tape over it.  I think over time, this tape loses its adhesiveness and gives way.  Anyway, here's the fix.  Take a 2 or 3 inch piece of clear plastic tape (or any tape for that matter), place it over the connector, and push the connector against the back pushing the tape down on each side to get as much contact as you can.  By sticking the connector to the frame, I think it provides some kind of grounding somewhere.

Anyway, I may be totally wrong, but my laptop is fixed for the price of a piece of tape.

There is a video on YouTube as to how to take the screen apart.  Remove the four screws, one on each corner of the screen (under a little sticky cover).  Then gently prey the screen apart using a small screw driver.  Start at the top and go down each side.  Then the bottom, there is a hinge at the bottom that snaps forward and off.

Best of luck.

edge5511

My M305-S4910 was doing the same thing. After some research, I replaced the video cable. The flickering was not as bad, but still there. I just replaced the inverter, and the pink line beneath the toolbar is now gone and so is the flickering. :-)