Ali20

Toshiba L670 screen flickers and turns white...

[ Edited ]

My Toshiba L670 (PSK3AC-0ED00X) laptop screen has been acting up lately, I'll be in the middle of something, watching videos or reading anything and the entire screen will suddenly go white, I have to press the sleep button and than turn the laptop back on for the screen to go back to normal, and it will work for awhile, sometimes for minutes and sometimes even for hours before it happens again, but it happens everyday and is really annoying.

I was thinking it might be because my laptop is overheating (I do use it a lot, and most days it's on for 12 hours or so), but today I just turned the laptop on and 15 minutes in the screen went white, it couldn't be overheating because the laptop had just been off for the night.

The entire screen goes white and notice a lot of flickering on the screen.

Here's a pic.

Peter

Re: Toshiba L670 screen flickers and turns white...

Because that's a Canadian model, I'd suggest seeking support from Toshiba Canada.

- Peter
headrush3

Hi Peter.  I have a Toshiba L675 that does the same thing.  It is an American model.  Please advise.

Peter

Can I get the full model number? "L675" is only partial.

How often does it do it? Is there anything you can do to make it more likely to happen? Does it do it in Safe Mode?

- Peter
headrush3

[ Edited ]

Screen flickers, then transitions to white out as above.  The only workaround is to close the laptop then open and log back in again.  It happens within five to ten minutes of power on.

Model info:  L675D-S7 107

P/N:  PSK3JU-08S02R

S/N: XXXXXXXXX

Purchased May 2011

Thanks,

Tom

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Peter

Does it happen in Safe Mode as well?

- Peter
SheynaLew

Hi,
Mine's been doing the same thing for the past 7 months or so. (I've had it for about 15months)

I've found that sometimes pressing CtrlAltDel works, otherwise I have to close the screen or turn it off and back on. It happens constantly but especially when I'm watching Youtube videos or DVDs. There are times when I turn it on and it's just a flickering white screen and I have to turn it off completely.
When it does it with a DVD or video playing the sound still comes out.

Also, I've tried plugging it into another screen and that works fine. Even if the laptop screen itself is white and flickering the other screen is perfect.

Advice please?
Thanks,

Jenny

mixnmike

I have the same issue..The screen flickers white then I push the power button, wait a few seconds, then push it again to make it go away. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. Does Toshiba have a resolution to this issue?

Peter

This is most likely caused by a hardware failure and would require servicing. You could perform a full recovery to rule out software as a cause to be sure, but I strongly suspect hardware.

- Peter
SheynaLew

What exactly can be done to fix it if it is a hardware problem and how much will it cost, roughly?

Also, is it a common problem with these particular laptops as I've looked around a lot and found plenty of people with this laptop have this problem but no one with another laptop seem to be troubled by it.

Peter

I don't have specific pricing information. You can check your repair options here.

- Peter
tishappy

My L755-S5246 has been doing this since I got the laptop back from Toshiba a few weeks ago because I had a black screen.  I have had this stinkin computer for only 4 months!!   I need a whole new model or a refund!!  This computer is ridiculous!!  Someone please HELP!!  Sometimes the horizontal lines are not just black and white but colored.  If I am in the middle of something I have to completely shut the computer off, I have no other option!!  Where do I go with this.  I am tired of paying $25 for a box to ship a computer that is still under warranty and still basically new!

Skyhook

My Satellite P770 laptop started doing this a week ago and I'm pissed, too.  My laptop is only five months old.

When working in Photoshop, or sometimes even upon opening Photoshop, my computer intermittently freezes up, showing the hourglass, and then after 10 - 15 seconds, goes to a white screen.  The other programs are usable, but to go back to Photoshop, I must restart.

Toshiba support says to check with Photoshop first, but looking at all the messages here on the Forum as well as across the Internet, it doesn't seem like a Photoshop problem.

Peter

tishappy, your only option is to explain your concerns to customer support.

Skyhook, sometimes problems with similar symptoms have different causes. How are you able to use other programs if the display is stuck as a white screen? Does it go away on its own?

- Peter
michille

Wow! I guess I'm not the only one with this issue! Toshiba has really let me down :smileysad:. My L675 does the exact same thing. I'm no longer under warrenty so that's out of the question! Luckly I've worked on several computers in the past so It looks like I'll be working on mine soon :smileysad:.

Toshiba you really need to see why this stuff is happening to so many of your customers. If you don't soon you will loose them real fast. I'm a business owner my self and if alot of customers are having the same issue then you may want to go back to the drawing board and see why? If nothing doesn't change real quick you will loose a lot of customers because they will not return or will make sure to let other's how poor your product is.

I've always enjoyed your products and can sadly say I will no longer buy from you guys again :smileysad:.

Gothicwaters

[ Edited ]

Hey. I've had this problem for a couple of months too. :c It all started maybe 1 3/4 years after I got my L675D-57017 Toshiba Satellite. Yeah, two years is I guess a long time, but screens should last longer... Right?

At first I was getting magenta and Cyan lines through the screen. My warranty was almost up, and I sent it into them right before I lost it. They 'fixed' it by changing the cable and also removed my hard drive, giving me a new one. (I guess it was corrupt.) and sent it back. It worked alright for a bit. A bit being less than a month.

The lines returned and, being displeased, I called them back saying they didn't fix it, and they said they would fix it again, even though it wasn't on warranty.

The first box they sent me was a beautiful sturdy box, with nice padding. The second time around they sent me a thin box that was taped up and smashed from delivery. The resend label was missing, so it was utterly useless.

I called them back and discussed the problem, to which they outsourced the repair to Tri-Star? I think it was.
Which went well. They actually ordered a new screen and replaced it...

And I got it back.

Then a couple of months later, my screen starts flickering. No more colored vertical lines... Now the entire screen was going. Great.

So when I boot up my laptop, the Toshiba splash screen shows for just a split second before the entire screen starts violently flashing white. This continues until I get to the log in screen, since I have the brightness set down to the lowest setting. (Doesn't flicker as much on that setting) It flickers terribly when there is a black background and white text, threatening to burn out totally.

I'm really disappointed in Toshiba's quality now. I still have a '98 Toshiba that the screen JUST started acting up. I was hoping I could keep this computer for about the length I've had the '98 computer. There's no way I'm going to pay 300+ for Toshiba to re-fix something they should have fixed the FIRST round.

Deaniie

[ Edited ]

My computer does the exact same. I have a L745 model. My warranty already ran out so now I'm S.O.L. What makes it worse is that I haven't even had this thing for a good year. Toshiba should really fix this problem. 

The amount of money it'd cost to fix this, I might as well go out and get a new one. Sorry Toshiba but you lost a customer.

MicheleP

I have the same problem on my toshiba satellite pro L670-1D7.

I'm very unhappy regarding toshoba. No support to solve the problem.

Noor440

You have perfectly descrided what is wrong with my laptop. When ever i start it up, the toshiba logo pops up for a split second. Then my screen turns white, and starts flickering. Then after couple of minutes, the laptop starts up, but i have to keep the brightness on the lowest settings, either it will turn white again. Anyone know what is wrong and how i can fix it, because i dont think i have warrenty.

TwoTNBugs

Same problem here.  L675-S7018.  Had a new screen put on while it was covered by warranty (that was a different issue...brightness was the first problem).  Now, the screen just flashes white or black periodically.  Sometimes I have to close it to get the flashing/flickering to stop.  Hate to have the screen replaced again, but none of the downloads I have tried have fixed it.  Movies show fine when connected to my TV (even if the monitor is flashing).  Any advice?  

Like others have said, I cannot recommend Toshiba as a brand after this experience.  That first repair was at around 9 months, and we just passed the 36 month mark.  Really shouldn't have that many problems.  10 year old Compaq still works like a charm; slow but my kiddos don't seem to mind to much!  I'll take slow over flickering and flashing!