Bside42

Screen splits into 3 parts.

Lately, I have been having this problem where the laptop enters sleep mode by innactivity, but then, when I turn the computer on again the screen has split into 3 sections where the right part is where the left part should and vice versa. I normally fix it by changing the resolution or pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del (it shuts down the screen for a while) and sometimes I even have to reset my computer. But lately, even reseting the computer won't fix this issue.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C645-SP4135L.

I hope someone can help me .

Peter

Re: Screen splits into 3 parts.

Try reinstalling the latest display driver.

Intel Display Driver(v8.15.10.2353; 04-08-2011; 82.2M)

If that doesn't work, try this. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

If the problem persists, you may have a hardware failure.

- Peter
ketan1510

my laptop's (satellite C600) display has been split into 3 consecutive portions

My laptop's (satellite C600) display has been split into 3 consecutive portions,the right portion shifts to left and vice-versa and the middle portion remain undisturbed.

I am sending u the pic of my lappy related to the problem as an attachment.

Hope will consider my problem and revert me back as soon as posible.

ketan1510

Please reply Sir..

Peter

ketan1510, can you give me the model and part numbers off the bottom label?

- Peter
ketan1510

model no. : satellite C600-P4012

Part no: PSC4UG-000001

ketan1510

Mr. Peter please solve my problem

Peter

I don't have any information on that model because it isn't from the US. This is the forum for Toshiba USA. However, I suspect it's due to hardware failure.

- Peter
Bside42

Peter, I tried everything from above but none seemed to fix the problem. So I guess it is a hardware failure. In that case, what should I do?

Peter

You could contact customer support at (800) 457-7777. If it's out of warranty, they should be able to direct you.

- Peter
monishjs

Hey i have the same problem...I have a C600 Sattelite...

Did you figure out what's wrong ???

Is there any solution ??

babyhannah1997

I also have a Toshiba that has split the screen into three parts. It is a c655d S/NXB124349Q.  I have tried the latest driver update and rest the BIOS to default settings - no avail.  It is apparent from all of the posts that Toshiba is aware of the problem, yet the only responses I see are that it is a hardware problem (send it to us), or it is not a US region machine. Come on Toshiba - Get real. This problem is happening on several models and is REAL. I would suggest that if you want to keep me as a Toshiba customer, you would come up with a solution and offer a fix that is good instead of beating around the bush all the time. I will be buying another computer that will not have Toshiba on its name plate next time if this is not resolved.

Peter

When it's a real problem and not simply a setting or minor driver issue, you need to contact customer support. This is a peer-support forum, and I'm not a customer support agent. I'd recommend you call customer support.

- Peter
djstudt

I have a Toshiba Laptop C655-S5514. My screen splits into 3 different screens. I turn computer on and off several times and finally it starts normally. The hard drive was replaced May 14, 2013. Also the left side of the connection attached to the screen seems loose. Can you help.

Peter

Unfortunately, it sounds like it requires servicing.

- Peter
djstudt

It appears that a lot of people have the same problem. Is it with the hard drives?

Ckucsma

I also have a Satellite laptop C655D-S5202 and it is also having the same problem with the screen split into three separate panels vertically. The center seems to be the same and actual correct location while the rh and lh panels are reversed.
This is verified as a laptop hardware or mechanical issue by tapping the F2 key just as the computer first turns on (boots up) from the completely shut down mode. This enters a setup,for the computer itself before Windows starts. If the screen is split into the three panels here when F2 is pressed it lets you know that the screen is not working correctly and it is not a software/driver problem with Windows.
You may also connect the laptop to an external display using the SVGA cable or possibly another application where a USB device will work for a display. If the external display shows the screen correctly and the laptop LCD is split into the three panels it is a hardware/mechanical issue with the laptop.

Wha I have found from the 'hundreds' of posts here and my own experience is that this is a proble with the design of the Satellite style laptop. The hinges on any laptop are one of the most obvious wear items as they are used every time the screen is opened and closed when the laptop is turned on or off typically, so for most people other hinges are used about every day.

The screws that assemble the top and bottom plastic casing for the laptop have two locations at the back where they also secure the screen hinges to the laptop casing. The design problem causing this split screen is that the the screws do not seem to have any lock-tite, lock washer, or other mechanical mechanism to keep them secure when they vibrate. Vibration is typically the cause for hardware becoming loose on assembled products. The force of the screen opening and closing on these two screws will deform the threads on the screw, as well as the hole in the screen hinge late which the two screws secure.

This screw and hinge late problem makes the screen hinge loose, and then the wires that run through the screen hinge from the laptop mother board to the LCD screen start to wear beyond their design limits, because the hinge moves to locations it was not designed for once the screws and hinges become loose.

This also explains the reason why when the computer is shut off (the screen is closed) and then turned on again (screen and hanged are moved again) sometimes it will fix the three screen split problem. Then it wil come back again soon. Over a few weeks (or possibly a few days if the laptop is used frequently throughput the day) the proble will become much worse and likely happen all of the time.

There are other issues people have noted, that this happens after a hard drive is replaced, or other random repairs. Most (if not all) of these repairs, require the laptop casing to be disassembled. This can cause the hinges and those two screws to become loose because they are a softer metal and ne they are taken apart and put ack together the screws will never be as tights as thy were from the factory the fist time. As well, the ribbon cable and connectios for the screen are typically removed to ie better access for the technicians to access the hard drives and run checks on other components during the service.

dear Toshiba - this appears to be a widespread problem and quie possibly attributed to the design of the product. Knowing the hinge is one of the most critical components to the operation and usefulness of a laptop computer, seeing it fail and cause this issue for many users seems wrong. I initially thought the it was probably due to our 11 year old using the laptop more as he gets older, and opening and closing the screen more and more. Now I understand better after reading the forums here that that using the laptop as intended wasn't really the problem, but the design and number of similar problems seems to be.
BlakeForeman

strange as it sounds

this has happened to me before.... my screen has lines down the middle and it shuts off my system eventually, i troublehoot this for a while to no avail so i talk to the manufacturer and i end up cloneing my entire drive, and sending my system back..... not sure if they sen't me a tottally different mechine but i belive they said they replaced the mobo on the sysem. so i get the laptop back and everything's reloaded like orignal and working fine.

then i clone the current drive and load my old one witheverything on it, the most rediculious thing hapens.... it does the same thing!!!! WTH?? right??? it was the bluetooth stack, driver and devices. it was effecting the video card so much that the video card whitch was on the same heatsync was overheating my processor so the system would just shut off.

start completely over with your bluetooth and use an older version (a reload might not work as the new bluetooth ROM might still be there)... see if that  works. it baffeled me and a slew of other techs in my feild

let me know if this works

biswajit

My friend and I both am facing the same problem and both of us have c640 model. I have received this particular problem in toshiba laptops. I am told that its a manufacturing defect. I request you to mend it at your service center free of cost.

heman1311

Me too facing the same issuee plzzzzzzz help!!! my laptop just one and half year old...