aviator

Screen goes black when watching movies or DVD

Hi,

I'm new to Vista and the Toshiba PC.  I have a Toshiba Satellite model U505-S2940.   I'm having a problem while watching DVDs or HULU.COM.  After the movie runs for about 15 or 20 minutes the screen goes blank and the sound stops.  All I have to do is move the mouse and everything works again.  This sounds to me like a screen saver issue.  It seems that inactivity on the keyboard or mouse after so long will put the PC into screen saver mode.  I updated the screen saver time to activate the screen saver in 180 minutes. For some reason the screen still goes black and the sound dies after about 15 or 20 minutes.  I'm sure I have something set wrong but I can't figure it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob 

Regular Advisor
Rincewind

Re: Screen goes black when watching movies or DVD

[ Edited ]

aviator wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Vista and the Toshiba PC.  I have a Toshiba Satellite model U505-S2940.   I'm having a problem while watching DVDs or HULU.COM.  After the movie runs for about 15 or 20 minutes the screen goes blank and the sound stops.  All I have to do is move the mouse and everything works again.  This sounds to me like a screen saver issue.  It seems that inactivity on the keyboard or mouse after so long will put the PC into screen saver mode.  I updated the screen saver time to activate the screen saver in 180 minutes. For some reason the screen still goes black and the sound dies after about 15 or 20 minutes.  I'm sure I have something set wrong but I can't figure it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

You need to change the power management, not the screen saver. In Vista that is known as a Power Plan, and instructions for creating/modifying them starts on page 121 of your user's guide.

aviator

Wow, 

What quick response thanks.  I didn't get hardly any paperwork or manuals with my machine.  Certainly not something with 121 pages.  Is this user's manual online?

Thanks again.

Bob

Regular Advisor
Rincewind

aviator wrote:

Wow, 

What quick response thanks.  I didn't get hardly any paperwork or manuals with my machine.  Certainly not something with 121 pages.  Is this user's manual online?

Thanks again.

Bob

There should be a PDF copy of the user's guide somewhere on your hard drive, but if you can't find it, it's available online:

Satellite® U500 Series User’s Guide