Occasional Contributor
siman00
Accepted Solution

Screen Resolution Problem

Hello; I'm new to the forum but have a question regarding screen resolution.  Last fall I got an email about an upgrade to the bios for my laptop.   I clicked on the link to the update site and clicked on an upgdate to the bios that handles the screen.

Unfortunately, when it was installing, I chose the wrong answer to set the screen resolution.  Now, when the computer is restarted, it starts in a 1024X768 resolution.  What is needed is 1280X800.  I can change the resolution, and the display is fine.  However, when the computer is started the next time, or when it comes out of hibernation, the resolution has changed back to 1024X768.

How can I permanently change the resolution to the higher setting?

Thank you...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Screen Resolution Problem

Which computer & Windows? Please be specific.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Sorry for omitting this information:

Satellite E105-S1602

Windows Vista SP 2

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite E105-S1602 

Try changing it in the BIOS this way.

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > HWSetup > Display tab

If it's not on that tab, click Default on the General tab to reset the BIOS.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Jerry, thanks for continuing to help me.

I found the Toshiba Utility, and opened the tab: "Display".  There are two options, both under "Power On Display"

-"Auto-Selected"  (which has been chosen)

-"LCD+Analog RGB"

At the bottom of the box are 3 buttons: "OK", "Cancel", "Apply"

I don't see anything about bios here.

I looked at the "General" tab, and it says under "Setup"

1.80, 9/09/2009

There is also a "Default" button and a "About" button

Below that are the same 3 buttons as in the Display tab.

I'm lost...  Whatever help you can continue to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I looked at the "General" tab ...  a "Default" button and a "About" button 

Click the Default button and reboot. Let's see if that changes to the default resolution.

I don't see anything about bios here.

When you use the HWSetup utility, you are making adjustments in the BIOS.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Jerry, I did it, and it made no change at all; I still had to go to Control Panel and change it manually.

Other ideas?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The native resolution of your model is certainly 1280x800.

Try resetting the machine this way.

With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for ten seconds.

Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Jerry, I'm sure you're getting tired of dealing with this issue, and I am too, but your last solution did not help either.

I'll give a little more meat to my issue.  Last fall, in an email from Toshiba, I clicked on a link to take me to a download for a bios update.  I think there were two, but for sure, one dealt with the display.  Foolishly, at a point it asked me if something about screen resolution, and I am positive I clicked on "Recommended", since I didn't take time to see what the correct resolution was.  When the machine rebooted, it went to the lower resolution.

Now, when I start the computer, it actually starts in the correct resolution, but as it is finishing the boot sequence, the screen goes black for half a second, and when it comes back on, it's in the lower resolution.

Anytime the machine is restarted, comes on from sleep or hibernation, the screen sequence is as above--correct resolution, then black, then lower resolution.  I can always manually change it to correct, but I hate to have to do this every time the machine comes back to life.

Does any of this make sense or help?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let's reinstall the display driver.

Intel Display Driver for Windows Vista (64 bit)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Thanks, Jerry. I have to leave now, but will do this tomorrow morning. I've never changed drivers, so if there's anything I need to know or be aware of in doing it, I'll appreciate your advice. In any case, I'll let you know how it goes.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Usually, there is no problem. If something doesn't go right, do it after booting into Safe Mode.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Jerry, this fixed my issue!  Thank you very much for telling me how to fix an annoying problem.  Next time I get one of the bios updates, I'll pay more attention in making decisions.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome. Happy to learn it worked.

-Jerry
Diane011

Hi Jerry, after reading this post, i wondered if you would happen to know how i can re-install my video driver, my graphics aren't loading too good, they are sketchy.....i wanted to see if this might work, i have a windows vista 32 bit Satellite  L305D-S5890....i searched around for that driver on this site but i couldn't find it...

thanks so much

Occasional Contributor
siman00

Hey Jerry.  I spoke too quickly.  I let the computer go to sleep earlier this afternoon.  When it awoke, it did so in the lower resolution again.  Later, I restarted the computer, and it did exactly the same as described yesterday; started in high resolution, went blank, and then ran in the lower resolution again.

Any other ideas???

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I wonder if the hardware is malfunctioning.

Try flashing the BIOS again.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

I think I'm ready to give up on it.  I flashed the bios, and it did exactly as before.  I can always change it manually, but none of the other actions have fixed the issue.

If you think of anything else, please let me know.  But I'm not going to press you for additional help; you've been very responsive and helpful.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I really don't have much more to say. Sorry that things didn't work out.

Toshiba will want you to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media before they would agree that the hardware or BIOS needs fixing.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
siman00

Jerry, I hate to be a bother, but it's apparent that you are very knowledgable about Toshiba products.  While I have the restore disc, I'm not sure what is involved in using it.  I'll try to elaborate with some questions:

• The warranty expires in July.  Should I simply take it back to Best Buy and tell them what's going on and ask them to fix it under warranty?
  • If yes to above, will they likely lose my data?  (guess I should do a backup just prior to taking it in).
  • Is there a way to copy the entire contents of the C: drive and simply transfer that data (including programs and settings) from the backup storage back onto the C: drive when they are finished with it (that assumes that they basically start over)?

I feel stupid for having so many questions, but I just don't know how all of this works, and don't want to lose everything on the computer for such a small annoyance.

Whatever you can tell me will be appreciated.

Thank you again.