darkerosxx

Qosmio X775-3DV78 Video Drivers Too Outdated (7 Versions Behind!)

The Qosmio X775-3DV78 factory display drivers for the Nvidia GTX 560M are far outdated from what's generally available from Nvidia. I know this happens sometimes, but to be 7 versions behind on a notebook that's newly released is bad form. Not to mention that ALL of the x77X Qosmio's use the 560M card, so your flagship gaming notebook is SEVEN versions behind GA drivers from Nvidia.

Factory Drivers: 268.51

GA Driver Latest Version: 275.33

One of the main things that bugs me is I can't view some of the most widely available 3D content... YouTube 3D! YouTube 3D is telling me my drivers are too old!!! They're requiring at least 275.27. 

Get with it Toshiba. Let's get those drivers updated. If you release "bleeding edge" hardware, you should be ready to support it properly. Prove to me that you are and keep me as a customer.

Occasional Contributor
Gizmosprocket

Re: Qosmio X775-3DV78 Video Drivers Too Outdated (7 Versions Behind!)

I agree!!  Way out of date... This is a frustrsting situation as even the 3dmark benchmark app noticed that this could be causing performance issues.

darkerosxx

There's been no response on this. I called in to support and put in a formal request that they release updated drivers. They had nothing to say other than "just keep checking the website for updated drivers".

We need updated drivers, Toshiba. Do it!

Occasional Contributor
Gizmosprocket

This is indeed troubling... I am thinking of sending this notebook back...

Super Advisor
brad

As a corporation, Toshiba doesn't seem to "get" gaming.  It's been this way for years.  They come out with a machine that could be great, but never update drivers.

The best you can do is poke around for drivers with hacked INF files so they will install.  I don't know if there's a better place now, but in the past I was using drivers referenced from laptopvideo2go.com

Of course, testing is needed, one of the drivers from there didn't properly turn on the fan in my old P100, and the video chip fried itself, oops. :-)

dansearles

And in my case I can't install the drivers provided by nVidia... I just get

"NVIDIA Installer cannot continue / This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

nvidia's release notes point out problems and fixes. One was 275.33 broke 3D nvision on some

laptops. I hit that one, but nvidia provided a back channel work around. Another problem

was in the sync signal for 3D nvision. When the sync signal is off, you get ghosting, sometimes

to the point where the 3d effect is completely destroyed. The newer driver mentions a fix

for that, which I have seen work on other systems, but its just not yet available for my system.

But even nvidias latest fixes are only Beta (6/20). Toshiba will probably have to wait for WHQL

before even thinking about getting these fixes out (ouch!).

Occasional Contributor
SteveO1966

Thanks for posting this.  I was just about to buy this machine, and on that note, I guess I'll go with a different brand.

ChicoChe

I have also run into the outdated drivers problem has anyone found a way around the issue or are we just stuck in hopes toshiba will update the driver via there website

darkerosxx

Nvidia's latest release works on various manufacturers' notebooks, one of which is Toshiba's. I haven't tried it because my 3DV78 is in Toshiba's repair facility atm, due to a failed power supply.

shin777

lastest nvidia driver which is 280.26 that came out few days ago won't work on my toshiba x775-3dv78. This is just sad coz nvidia added windowed 3d stereoscopic mode for windows 7 since their last driver(280.19). Plz toshiba.. update the video driver. you can forget about 27x.xx drivers coz they are known to coz some trouble so plz do update it to 280.26 or up. this laptop has 3d capable monitor and not being able to use 3d stereoscopic in window mode is just a pain. this 280.26 gpu driver update should be an mandatory gpu update.

leofran

Update drivers right away.

shin777

Are there even a mod or tech support guy on this forum? If you go to msi homesite forum, there always are 2 or more moderators ready to help you out and they do their jobs pretty well. Whenever I ask for help they jump out less than a half day and come up with solution. Come on toshiba.. update the drivers already. Or at least ask nvidia to add support for driver support for toshiba laptop. I remember nvidia homesite driver didn't work with msi gt780r which has same gpu as this one but they added support for it soon after.. so why not with toshiba one?
Occasional Contributor
Gizmosprocket

Toshiba support doesn't monitor these forums...  please open up support issues and keep them open until you get the new driver... they clearly need to be nagged...

dansearles

How do you open a support issue?  I've been all over the support site, and don't see anything like that.

Latest thing I've noticed about using the 3D is that its not showing the mouse cursor in 3D mode.

Other 3D Vision platforms (including other Toshiba laptops) don't have this problem.

Occasional Contributor
Gizmosprocket

You cant open an issue via the web- you need to call the 800 number.

Occasional Contributor
kkwan77

Any luck on getting a response when we'll see some updated Nvidia drivers? :smileysurprised:

darkerosxx

LOL, this is getting sad. Check the downloads section. On 08/26, Toshiba released 268.85. Seriously?

How about releasing version 280!? Who cares about 268 version drivers. They're unusable for lots of currently available content.

Occasional Contributor
kkwan77

What is the offiical response from Toshiba for the people that called customer service to query about this subject? Are you getting any genuine helpful responses with a ball park figure on when we can expect to see updated drivers? Or is this relatively low on the priority totem pole? :smileysad:

Occasional Contributor
SmylnJack

[ Edited ]

Hi people, Guess what?  I have had a Qosimio X505-896 for about a year now and there has NEVER been even one driver upgrade for this (cough) "gaming" laptop so it's not only your newer laptops it's just about every one of us who has some sort of what they call gaming laptops.  Gaming, as in trying to play the latest games without the nvidia updates that always include the latest drivers, 3D drivers, software, etc for each new game as they come out is a real bear without the latest drivers for our powerful video cards and Toshiba just doesn't seem to get it or care.

Now we, as in many of us with the x505 types of Qosimio laptop found out that you could install an nvidia beta driver and for some unkown reason wouldn't get that screen that stated you couldn't install that driver and to get ahold of your manufacturer for upgrades to the drivers so on we went and installed it and had no issues whatsoever after that in installing the latest WHQL drivers.  Mine as we (I) speak has the 280.26 verde driver on it and i have been playing Deus Ex HR on mostly the highest settings with nary a problem.  In addition everything else on the laptop works just fine too such as the closing the lid and it goes to sleep thing and all of the stuff that is supposed to be the reason for us not being able to upgrade our drivers from the nvidia website.  As I mentioned I have plaed bunches of games such as Crysis 2 (on the highest settings no less), Fallout New Vegas and all the DLC, Red Faction Armageddon, F3AR (FEAR 3), Dead Space 2, and on and on without one issue so far and a plethora of other games and so far most of the on the highest or almost highest settings with the latest WHQL drivers installed of course.

Anyway, for anyone who is daring I would suggest doing what we did.  Go to the nvidia website and install the beta driver just one up from your drivers.  Don't go all out and try for the latest WHQL as it won't work or even the second one back which is 280.19 beta.  Just start out barely above what is on your system and make sure it is a beta driver and it worked for all of us anyway or at least 98.9% of us.  Then if that installs fine, go back and install the latest WHQL because now it will see their beta driver and go "hey, we're welcomehere!"  I have an nvidia GTX460M in my laptop and have played about every decent game out from last Christmas on and haven't had any issues save the occasional freeze but that might have been due to a heat issue so now I have not only a good 2 fan laptop cooler underneath my laptop but I also have upgraded those fans to really really good ones and then I have one small fan blowing dircetly underneath the whole shebang and haven't had any freezes since.

I hope that my suggestion will work for you guys as it did for us back in the x505 era.  Good luck!  Oh and we all have begged and begged for newer drivers with emails, phone calls, postring on here and all that to no avail.  I think these are really great laptops, it's just that customer care seems to be non-exsistent or a complete farse or both.

Occasional Contributor
kkwan77

Has anyone tried out this method from SmlynJack to a successful conclusion?