unfairy

Qosmio X305-Q701 screen goes black

I purchased my Qosmio X305-Q701 a year ago and it ran just fine. It's 64-bit Vista. A couple months ago it began doing this bizarre number where the screen would go black (still lit) and the sound would loop the same half a second. Eventually it began to do it more often. Now, I'm lucky to run any of my graphic-intense games reliably. Sometimes it's cuts out within minutes, sometimes I can run the games for hours.

I even had to disable Aero Glass, because it would cut out during normal operation. After I disabled Glass, it runs fine in normal operation, but it still is very hokey with my games. Spore is OK usually. It definitely likes to cut out during Mass Effect. I never have a problem with StarCraft or KotOR. I suspect it's a heating issue, the colder the surrounding environment is, the more reliable it is. This is very baffling. I feel like my laptop should be running perfectly fine for longer than a year. The last Toshiba Satellite I had ran fine for about 3-4 years until it began having its overheat problems. What is causing this? What are my options? I can't really afford to pay for repairs that don't work.

Secondly, I have noticed I have a second slot for an internal HDD. However, out of curiosity I removed the master drive and tried to put it in the second slot. I instantly noticed it won't fit. If I bought a second internal HDD, how do I get it in? Also what kind is most recommended?

Regular Advisor
Squall_Rinoa89

Re: Qosmio X305-Q701 screen goes black

unfairy wrote:

I purchased my Qosmio X305-Q701 a year ago and it ran just fine. It's 64-bit Vista. A couple months ago it began doing this bizarre number where the screen would go black (still lit) and the sound would loop the same half a second. Eventually it began to do it more often. Now, I'm lucky to run any of my graphic-intense games reliably. Sometimes it's cuts out within minutes, sometimes I can run the games for hours.

I even had to disable Aero Glass, because it would cut out during normal operation. After I disabled Glass, it runs fine in normal operation, but it still is very hokey with my games. Spore is OK usually. It definitely likes to cut out during Mass Effect. I never have a problem with StarCraft or KotOR. I suspect it's a heating issue, the colder the surrounding environment is, the more reliable it is. This is very baffling. I feel like my laptop should be running perfectly fine for longer than a year. The last Toshiba Satellite I had ran fine for about 3-4 years until it began having its overheat problems. What is causing this? What are my options? I can't really afford to pay for repairs that don't work.

Secondly, I have noticed I have a second slot for an internal HDD. However, out of curiosity I removed the master drive and tried to put it in the second slot. I instantly noticed it won't fit. If I bought a second internal HDD, how do I get it in? Also what kind is most recommended?

1) Check Drivers Alot of the newer nVidia drivers are compleate Garbage. I had good luck with 186.91

2) Check the GPU fan, if its dirty turn it on and use a can of air LIGHTLY to blow out the dust and hair that could be in the fan. the GPU loves to pull in animal hair and dust so make sure its clean before use

As for the HD, i'm not to entirely sure tbh, i had one that used to freeroam in the second slot however, i accidently dropped it while cleaning and needless to say its kaput. (Never clean @ 4am)

ex Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 Owner
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV10 Owner
PSN: Squall_Rinoa89
I DON'T SUGAR COAT STUPIDITY
charlesagriesti

Same problem. Qosmio X305-Q701 a little over a year old. Screen suddenly goes completly blank. Power off and then start sometimes looks normal, sometimes still blank and have to do safe mode start and system restore. First it did it every few months, then every few weeks, then every few hours. Now it does this for anything graphics intensive in less than five minutes. Can someone tell me how to make sure the drivers for the graphics card are up to date with a stable version?

charlesagriesti

I went to look at possible updates for graphics drivers. After a scan of my machine the Nvidia site recommended one, but then said not to use it unless my gpu was on the list. If gpu means graphics card, my 9700M was not on the list. There was also a warning to use only upgrades approved by the manufacturer.

please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

How can I find proper driver updates?

How can I find someone with the ability to get this machine working?

Thanks in advance.

msbearly

I have the same exact problem. I bought mine from Bestbuy. I also bought the service plan from Geeksquad. They kept running the diagnostic test which showed that there was nothing wrong, but still it would shut off. It's very disappointing that the cost and performance of this laptop doesn't pair well at all, not to mention the stupid rip off at Bestbuy.

My gripe? I think that I am disappointed with Toshiba with the product that they produced. I feel like they should or should have issued a recall for this problem. It's a big company that can right the wrong if they really want to keep happy customers.

My other gripe is that Bestbuy and Geeksquad are terrible. If they claim to be such great helpers in the "techi" world, then they should do a little bit of homework when the customer repeatedly brings in a laptop that they purchased from them and it malfuntions. Instead, they tried to make me look like I was just in the market for a brand new computer and didn't want it anymore. Truthfully, I lost a lot of business with this junk, as I work from home. The laptop was for two purposes (work and play). I can't do either successfully for long before it shuts off on me. If they had of just done their homework and googled the problems that I indicated on my complaint form, then they would still have their loyal customer purchasing from them. Instead, I feel cheated ($2000 laptop w/insurance for nothing). I lost my book that I was writing twice (shut off before I could save newly added stuff), my company was at a standstill for a bit until I could revert back to my old laptop (Dell purchased in 2005 - still works great!), I had to refer my clients to a competitor in a rough economy, ....need I go on??

Updating the drivers will not help. I downloaded something recently that was supposed to help, but it didn't. Now what? 

I realize that this thread is from 2010, but I'm still having problems. ugghhh!!!

Dear Toshiba,

Please help me with my laptop. I really, really need it to work and cannot afford to buy another one right now. Please.

Regards,

Ms Bearly

Preius

I have this same problem. I was going to go to the 'fix my qosmio' site and buy their thing, but I didn't because I didn't meet the critera since my black screening happens to me in a non-gaming environment. I am going to try updating my drivers and if that doesn't work I'll have to explore other options.

My qosmio x505 will go to a black screen while remaing on if I let it sit for about 5 minutes without doing anything. It has nothing to do with the display settings. The only way to temporarily fix it is to do a hard reboot. Anyone know what is causing this?