Dylz
Accepted Solution

Qosmio F60 - Screen brightness won't change

Hello, I have the Toshiba Qosmio F60 PQF65C-02N02D. Recently I have noticed that I can no longer adjust the screen brightness. I've tried all the ways possible (power options, FN keys, etc) and it will not change. Any tips? Would I need to re-install/upgrade a certian driver? Thanks for any help!

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Qosmio F60 - Screen brightness won't change

Because I can't post a direct link to your model's download page on the Toshiba Canada support site, I am using a link to Toshiba Europe's version of your model. This unit is essentially identical to yours and all its drivers and utilities will work fine in your laptop.

QOSMIO F60-15N PQF65E Specifications

QOSMIO F60-15N PQF65E Downloads

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using Toshiba supplied hardware drivers to work properly. That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates. To do this click 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and choose 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK. Then only manually check for Windows Updates, check all available updates carefully, and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers.

Often when we lose ability to control brightness when a non-Toshiba supplied display driver has been installed. So, let's try to reinstall that first. Download this file to your desktop, this is a zip file, so you'll have extract the .exe file first, then double click on that to install it.

Display Driver nVidia Windows 7-64Bit v8.17.12.6064

Test your brightness controls again with the 'Fn'+ 'F5' and 'F6' keys. If all the 'Flash' cards do not appear at the top of the screen when you press the 'Fn' key alone, follow these steps:

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the Function key/Flash cards + your F8 key again.

If the above doesn't work download this file to your desktop, again this is a zip file, so you'll have extract the .exe file first, then double click on that to install it, then reboot.  Try the flash card paragraph above if necessary.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows 7 (64)

Another way to try to control the brightness is click 'Start' and type in   mobil   and click on the Windows Mobility Center, then try the brightness control there.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Dylz

Hey, thanks for responding.

I re-installed both drivers, turned off windows auto-updates and restarted my laptop but nope, still cannot change the screen brightness. Any other suggestions you can think of?

Thanks again.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

There was a BIOS update v2.70 for your unit the end of last December. Click on 'Start' and type in   MSinfo32.exe   and click on this file. In the 'System Summary' look on the right hand side for BIOS Version/Date, if you do not have the latest BIOS update v2.70, then download this file and double click to begin the installation and carefully follow the following directions.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.70 for Qosmio F60 PQF65C

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

If you already have the above update installed, then let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring the brightness controls back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows.

Then try your brightness controls again.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Dylz

Thank you. My bios is alreadying up to date but reseting the default load setup seemed to fix it. Thanks a lot.!

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome, happy to help. Thanks for letting us know what worked.

Mike