RRFreeman
Accepted Solution

NVIDIA 8600m Recall not supported, dead laptop.

Just talked with Toshiba and they are apparently "Unaware" of the NVIDIA 8600M GT manufacturer defects.

My Satellite x205-SLi5 quit working this weekend 18 months after purchase.  The issue reveals itself as 3 beeps with no bootup.  The first beep is slightly quieter than the other 2 beeps.  beep----Beep----Beep.

I am filing a complaint with the BBB and recommend any others experiencing this problem do the same.  I would guess that this issue will begin affecting more people very soon as I use my laptop daily for long periods of time.  Others with this card should prepare for an inoperable system.  I have also read that allowing the battery to run out will decrease the life of the Graphics Card.

My question is what options do I have for replacing the card?  Are there alternatives to the 8600M and where can I order one?  The Toshiba support site is lacking information on this.

Here are links regarding Apple's superb customer support regarding this same issue:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/18317/macbook-pros-faulty-nvidia-chip

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/15848/nvidia-faulty-chips-profit-warning

OwenAbrey

Re: NVIDIA 8600m Recall not supported, dead laptop.

well I would be one who needs a replacement.

Very disapointed in Toshiba.

I thought they were better than this.

RRFreeman

Actually, after I filed a complaint, a very nice Toshiba representative granted my request to have the laptop repaired.  I mailed it back last Friday and will post the results after I get it back.  I removed the hard drives just in case a newbie hardware guy decided to reformat mine.  My work has several of the same laptop, so I was able to use my drives in another while awaiting repair.

There is hope yet.

ullull

I have a qosmio f40 with an 8600M GT (G84 core), and I suspect this issue. 

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Video-Display/Qosmio-F40-Laptop-screen-is-black-external-monitor-... 

I have already had the graphics board fail about a year ago.  Now my laptop screen recently went black and I don't get HDMI output either (the external monitor works ok though).  I've already spent $400 on a  motherboard and cable to try to fix. But no luck. The repair shop tested the laptop screen on another laptop and it worked fine.  What else can it be other than the video board?

Apple and Dell are helping their customers out.  I am hoping Toshiba does the same.  The money I've already spent is bad enough.  But the time and lost work!

ullull

More info about the bad 8600M GT from Tom's hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GPU-failure,6248.html

pax
pax

WOW, that sounds great that Toshiba actually, will make your repairs!

I'm faceing the exact same problem, black screen and 3 beeps one in low volume and two with a loud volume.

@RRFreeman where did you send your complaint? Do you have a link or email add? Or maybe you have the email on the representative that contacted you?

Noober

I experienced this problem too on my Satellite X200 24E (PSPBUE), unfortunately it happened 2 years and 3 months after i bought my laptop so i was not covered by the warranty.

I tried to ask toshiba support center for assistance but they just told me to switch the old vga to a new one...of course...a new GeForce 8600M GT from a Toshiba Center it would cost at least 800 €...just unacceptable.

Now i actually don't know what to do, i guess ill give my dead laptop to the HP to get a discount on the price of a new laptop.

Toshiba really let me down.

Noober

Just let me ask you guys a question:

Is there any proof that this VGA (the geforce 8600m gt) caused so many troubles to users BECAUSE OF a proved manufacturing fault?

My question is simple, if actually there is, shouldn't Toshiba make any effort to help them?

Please reply if you had the same problem, I think we have the right to obtain assistance even if our notebooks are no longer covered by warranty.

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Thats why they offer extended warranties on laptops as an option, if people want additional coverage beyond the initial year, they have to pay for it. 

If they start giving everyone extended service without the plan, then those people that paid for the plan would demand a refund.

The recall in question was put out by Nvidia on certain lots of graphics cards, not all of the cards manufactured by them were affected.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
RRFreeman

The BBB Toshiba rep has been very helpful.  I would recommend working through the BBB on this issue.  The first repair they did failed again after 2 months with the same symptoms (they likely installed another card from the defective lot).  They then repaired it again.  This time it seems to be working.  Note that this is an NVIDIA issue.  It sucks that Toshiba has to deal with it.

It is quite obvious that these cards are part of the recall because of the exact same failure symptoms.  Note that this has nothing to do with the extended warranty which would cover any issue, not just a manufacturing defect issue.  I wouldn't even mind installing the card myself (removing Toshiba's burden), it's just NVIDIA will only work with the manufacturers.

nightfallfilms

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue. Just started tonight. Went to turn on the laptop and I just have a black screen and it makes 3 beeps and that's it. I see were NVIDIA settled a class action suit but Toshiba laptops were not included in it just Dell/HP/Apple. This sucks and is not acceptable. Anyone have any luck talking to Toshiba?

Noober

Not me, but I keep thinking that it would be our right to receive a free repair. I called and emailed Toshiba hundreds of time and they always that they cannot do anything. Maybe we should try to contact NVIDIA instead of Toshiba.

What do you think?

nightfallfilms

Did you file a complaint with the BBB? I did and I am waiting for a response. My next call will be to Nvidia if Toshiba will not help. We will see. Keep us posted with any info you find out and I will do the same.

Noober

I bought my computer in Italy so I don't know if I can ask BBB for help. However, I cannot find a valid Nvidia email address to send em my complaints. Does anybody know how to contact them?

nightfallfilms

Here is Nvidia's phone # 408-486-2000. Unfortunately they refer you to this # 877-440-7557 and it is for the class action law suit that Toshiba is not included in. I guess you can try and call the 408 # and try to get another # of someone else to talk to at Nvidia.

On another note I got a call from Toshiba today about my BBB complaint and will be sending my lap top in for them to look at. They however did not say that they will pay for anything yet. The lady I spoke to was very nice. So we will see what happens. Fingers crossed. The only other course of action I know would be another law suit that would include Toshiba laptops.

ullull

Update:  Shortly after posting here last February, I went ahead and replaced the video board AGAIN, and that did in fact give my Qosmio F40 another lease on life...until today, that is, when it completely died and failed to even POST after that.  I thought at first it might be power-related.  I tested the power adapter and it was functional.  Then I took it to the local CompUSA; the tech there suggested the problem might be with the motherboard.  When I told him about my history, he mentioned that a faulty GPU could also cause a laptop to fail in this way.  He also told me about a more recent settlement class action settlement related to the Nvidia GPU.  I'm still looking into the implications of this, if applicable, to Toshiba laptops.  Regardless, I will take this up with the BBB.

Occasional Advisor
jhvance

The nVidia class-action settlement approved in December <http://www.nvidiasettlement.com> only covers specific models from HP, Apple and Dell, not Toshiba.

SineNomine

I have an affected x205-sli1 with the same problem, it's been "fixed" three times now; twice under warranty. After every fix it lasted about 1-2 months. Is there anyway to get compensation for this?

Occasional Advisor
jhvance

Don't know where you might be located, so that might have a major bearing on what sorts of actions which might be possible -- the aforementioned settlement excludes Toshiba and other brands with the same GPU model lines that are reflected in the laptop models from HP, Apple and Dell which are covered, but whether there are legally mitigating circumstances for the exclusion remain very unclear.  If there were legitimate manufacturing process differences among the runs that produced the group which is covered versus the group which is NOT covered, for example, only NVIDIA or their subcontractor in Taiwan would really know for certain.  As NVIDIA has steadfastly maintained there is no defect even in the GPUs which are covered, I'm guessing it would require pretty expensive and time-consuming litigation to overcome such obvious resistance and legally determine that basic question before anything in the way of legal remedies would be considered.  Since the laptops with the affected GPUs are now mostly defunct and have been replaced in some form or fashion (there are plenty of spare parts on eBay, except for a replacement GPU), it would seem you're among a shrinking group who care enough to still feel outraged but I'm afraid the cold-hearted realities of the tech business cycle are governing this situation from here on out...

bowzer123

Hello SineNomine,

Did Toshiba ever resolve the problems you were having?