mortbals

NB205 and Skype Webcam Freeze

I have a problem using the built in Chicony USB webcam in the NB205 with Skype.

About 30 seconds to a minute after a video call is established the video will freeze momentarily on my side of the connection and remain frozen on the other party's side. The video freeze coincides with a short blink off and then back on of the blue LED indicator above the LCD screen on my NB205.

I have done several bandwidth tests using speedtest.net at various times of day and with various servers and reliably have between 4 - 5 Mbps download and 400 - 600 Kbps upload on my broadband DSL connection. According to Skype's FAQ that should be plenty of bandwidth for a video connection. I have tried enabling QoS on my Linksys router (WRT54GL v. 1.1 running Tomato v. 1.25) using L7 filtering and that seemed to have no effect ,although I can see from the QoS graphs in the router that the Skype traffic is being given the highest priority.

Here are my specs:

NB205 1.66GHz CPU, 1.0 GB RAM

Chicony USB 2.0 camera driver ver. 6.4.64.326

Skype version 4.1.0.141

Is there anyone else having a similar issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Matthew

hawaiidolfan

Re: NB205 and Skype Webcam Freeze

I'm sorry to say that Toshiba's stance if tough luck!!!  They took your money and now you have to live with the piece of sh@t computer!

DON'T BUY A TOSHIBA LAPTOP IF YOU INTEND TO UTILIZE THE WEBCAM!!!  IT WILL GIVE YOU THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH AND CRASH AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER EVERY 5 MINUTES OR SO!!!!!!!!!!!!

They DO NOT have the capability of fixing the problem according to at least 3 technicians and a person from CUSTOMER support!!!  "Customer" support???!!!  Really?!!!

They WILL NOT refund your money even though they have a Skype VIDEO sticker attached right next to the webcam!!!  I told the customer support representative that the sticker was basically a lie . . . false advertising!

I will NEVER buy a Toshiba product again!!!!!!!  I don't care if it's a DVD player, TV or any other Toshiba product!!!

They advertise the capability of using Skype Video and the computer just can't do it!!!  Basically, their response is thank you for your money, but what we advertised doesn't work!  Furthermore, you can't get it fixed NOR can you get a refund for a defective product!!!  . . . nor, will we refund the extended warranty that you purchased!!!

hawaiidolfan

You must be a person affliated with Toshiba!!!  Why else would you defend a multi-billion dollar company  over something so blatantly wrong and deceitful! 

Your comments are part of the same run-around (and there's a lot more if you call them) that Toshiba's technical and customer support divisions gives over the phone!  On a sidenote, you'll have to explain the same thing over and over and over again to each person that they transfer you to . . . from the very beginning each time!!!

How can you say that Skype sold us the computers?  As far as I can tell, Toshiba was the entity that took our money!  I think most people understands that Skype is FREE!!! How can we purchase something that is FREE?!!!  Or does FREE mean something else in Toshiba's world?!

Since you are a "Super Contributer," I would also think that you also know that Skype's techincal support is poor at best since no one pays for Skype . . . it's FREE!!!  What the heck is "support liability?"   There's no one person that you can physically "talk" to at Skype!  And you as a "Super Contributer" should know this already . . . unless I'm more knowedgable than a "Super Contributer!"

Please don't try to further deceive readers of this post by deflecting blame on Skype!  Toshiba certainly has and had the right to say "NO" to Skype when solicited to sell Toshiba the Skype stickers . . . but they haven't for at least ove a year!!!

The point is that Toshiba clearly, positively knows that Skype video WILL NOT work on the computers!!!  YET, they clearly imply that the computer will work with Skype video by keeping the stickers on!!!  What is a pisser is that they refuse to take the stickers off, knowing that this is an enormous issue for an individual customer!  I don't see stickers for other programs on the computers!  If I had known that the Toshiba computer would not work with Skype video, I certainly would have not bought a Toshiba!!!

Basically, it's this:  1) Toshiba knowingly puts (and gets paid for) a Skype sticker on it's computers even though it won't work;  2) the average (and even above-average) consumer sees the stickers and assumes that Skype video WILL work on the computer and purchases one; 3) the consumer finds out it doesn't work and calls Toshiba (since Toshiba sold the computer); 4) technical support (at least 3 technicians in my case) will tell customers to do all these "fixes" that they know won't work (which frustrates the customer more because a little Googl-ing will tell you that these suggestions won't work . . . but you do it anyways because the techinicans drive you nuts!!!; 5) customer support blames the problem on everything else (Skype, Microsoft, the web camera maker, etc.) and says that they WILL NOT give credit, exchange, refund, or fix the problem (they have no current "fix" for it even though it's been over a year) even though they are the only company that sold you the physical computer!!!

Why, for heaven's sake, should the consumer have to contact all these companies (which Toshiba "suggests" you should do) when Toshiba should have been the one to guarantee the quality of their end product?!  If it doesn't and didn't work, then take it off their computers and stop advertising that it does work!  Even if it wasn't Toshiba's fault that Skype video doesn't work, Toshiba should have long ago pulled the stickers off their computers and ended their agreement with Skype!!!

Toshiba is only concerned with money!!!  They don't mind a few complaints or even a loss of a few thousands of customers because they're making millions off other people who will not notice or complain!

I've already assumed that my money is lost!!!  I don't expect anything (including my money back) from Toshiba already!  I'm just posting this in hopes that other people will not be deceived by Toshiba's claims!  Heck, if some people will never utilize Skype video, I guess (I'm not very computer-savy) the computers are okay.  It performs similar to other computers I've used or owned from other companies with other programs.

*** Oh yeah, "THANKS" for pointing out that the Skype included on the Toshiba computers are only TRIAL (trial of what?  it's free!!!) versions (more so, you would think that version would  work since it's included on the Toshiba!)!  Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the TRIAL version, nor does it work on the most CURRENT version (that anyone can download for FREE!!!) . . . nor does it work on ANY version of Skype (according to internet posts)!

DON'T, DON'T, DON'T, DON'T BUY A TOSHIBA IF YOU THINK YOU WILL OR MIGHT USE SKYPE VIDEO . . . BECAUSE YOU CAN'T!!!  NOR WILL YOU BE ABLE TO GET AN EXCHANGE, CREDIT OR REFUND BACK!!!  NOR WILL YOU FIND A FIX TO THE PROBLEM (BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANY)!!!

If you think that I'm just a disgruntled customer, then I'll admit it . . . I AM!!!  I hope this prevents at least one other person from becoming a future disgruntled customer!   Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere if Skype video is important to you!

***  I don't know about cee_64, but I can 100% guarantee you that I have no affliation whatsoever with Toshiba or any of its cometitors . . . nor have I ever had one . . . nor will I forseeably have one in the future!!!  My technological knowledge is average at best.

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

I can tell you I use the webcam with Skype all the time, granted I'm running Windows 7, but I was using the XP Application and Driver until today when I installed the Windows 7 version. I use it with a USB headset that has a MIC...

Sorry your having issues with it. Also Skype has a paid service as well as a free service, they pay Toshiba to preload their software just like Google (also a free app) AOL, etc...

We in IT refer to it as Crapware ; )

If you would give us more details on your issue we might be able to help...

Jeff

rockyromero

Jeff,

Thanks for encouraging words on using the webcam with the Toshiba nb205.

How did you get the webcam connected with Skype?

I checked the manual and it wasn't clear enough for me to get it working.

I'm also running Windows 7 and I have a headset that has a MIC and audio plugged into the ports.

Step by step info would help on this.

Thanks,

Rocky

Regular Advisor
jnjroach

When I first fired off Skype there was a getting started wizard, one of the options was setup the webcam, I ran that and have been using it ever since...sorry there was no real step by step just followed the wizard and everything works. I have clients in Africa and we use Skype for calls...

Now are you asking how Windows 7 sees the Webcam, it loaded drivers right off the bat, I didn't need to install a driver, I did load the XP software at first but Toshiba has released a Windows 7 version now...

Jeff

rockyromero

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad that it was simple to connect.

I'll backtrack my steps on skype and make it work that way.

I have Win 7 and like the feel of it.

As an alternate, I have a separate webcam that I can connect with software to make it work.

It's a fun project..

Now..to find someone that would even care to connect with me..

Enjoy,

Rocky

dcole87

i have a toshiba mini netbook as well with the same problem... i used skype with my netbook sitting on my lap and the camer pauses, but i think if you lay it on a flat surface it won't freeze up.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

dcole87 wrote:

i have a toshiba mini netbook as well with the same problem... i used skype with my netbook sitting on my lap and the camer pauses, but i think if you lay it on a flat surface it won't freeze up.

That sounds like anoverheating issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.