Occasional Contributor
jack29

L675-s7018 screen goes white blank

This has gradually been occurring, initially was able to resolve with going to sleep or reboot, but today I got 3 boots in a row where it whited out before the log in screen. 

My assumption is that it is the video card, but bios can do strange things I suppose.  I know not what to do. 

I do get occasional screen flickers almost as a precursor to this occurring.  Sometimes there are gray bands on the white screen.  Pretty hard to shut down when you aren't sure which screen is active and such.

The only other issue with computer is the button to shut off the mousepad does not work.  All other programs and functions seem correct to me at this time.

Do appreciate the help, would not mind a link to a disassembly to access the video card.  Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: L675-s7018 screen goes white blank

Satellite L675-S7018 Specifications

Satellite L675-S7018 Downloads

Your system seems pretty new, is it not still on warranty? If it is on warranty, I would advise against disassembling it yourself, as you could void the warranty.

Customer Support in the United States

• Computers: (800) 457-7777 (toll-free) or (949) 859-4273

Locate a Service Center

However, in answer to your question re the video white out problem, I had the same thing happen last week. But, I would also lose the video signal on an external monitor, so it was not a LCD problem. In addition, if I entered the BIOS and waited long enough it would lose the video signal there also. So, it was not a Windows problem. As well, I often had to do a system reset to get the video signal to come back. If I did not reset, sometimes the BIOS would not seem to recognize the video card at all, and it would just sit at a blank screen with no hard drive activity at all. As result of all this, I also assumed it was a video card problem.

If at all possible, I would advise you to do these tests as well, to try to confirm where the problem might be. For me, a good cleaning, and reseating the video card seemed to do the trick. So far, touch wood, it has been good for the last 4 days since doing that, so I hope that's resolved my problem.

But, my system has an Intel chipset, and a seperate ATI video card. Yours has an Intel chipset with an integrated Intel HD Grpahics video card. So, I do not think you will be able to reseat your video card, as I believe the whole chipset assembly, will be built-in to the motherboard.

With regard to your touchpad button problem, download these two files to your desktop and double click on them to install them in this order.

Toshiba Value Added Package

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility

Finally, if your unit is not still on warranty, check your private messages here on the forum. Please let us know if any of this helps. Good luck.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

As a further note, if this only appears to be happening in Windows, reloading your display driver sure isn't going to hurt anything. Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers, not those from Windows Update, or direct from the chip maker.

Download this file to your desktop and double click to start the installation.

Intel Display Driver

Please let us know if this makes any difference. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Interestingly, after downloading the first two for the button, I think the flickering is less, and have not had a whiteout.  When I do get the whiteout, I can hear the hard drive working, the system itself seems to be fine.  I will use the driver you mentioned after I give this more time to assure which really fixed the problem.

I remember I did remove that Toshiba tool crap.  That was quite some time ago, but this was a slow gradual thing until recently, and it has not happened once since those utilities were re-installed. 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Many people want to remove what they refer to as Toshiba's 'bloat ware'. Personally I wouldn't. You can disable those you are not using by using removing their check mark on the 'Startup' tab in  msconfig.exe. Those that are services can be disabled by entering services.msc, right click on the Toshiba service, left click on properties, click on the 'Stop' button, and change the 'Start up type' to disable.

Using these methods can save you the RAM and help your system work a bit faster. But, they also make very easy to enable them again should you find you need them later.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Well though the tools did improve many little nuances, it did not fix the screen issue, when I booted this morning I had to boot 3 times to get a colored screen.

Have just downloaded and installed the video driver and will give that a shot.  Appreciate all the help, and especially, especially the button fix.  Man is it nice not to have the **bleep** pad working or disabled!!!

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Well the new driver didn't make a difference either, but yesterday it was unusual and it now makes me think it is a software issue.

The computer went to sleep, gave me the log on screen which I could see when I woke it up.  Upon logging in, I got the white out.  I used alt+F4 return a couple times and it began the shutdown, but the white went away and I saw the final screen.

Sorry for the *bleep* word, will be more careful.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Jack

Because of the initial change (improvement?) when you installed the TVAP and Flash card utilities, I would think it is a software/update problem as well. So, there are a couple of other things to try.

First, Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only using their own hardware drivers, not those supplied by Windows Update, or direct from the chip makers. Given this, I recommend only doing manual Windows Updates. To do this click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', then on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right, select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click 'OK'. Then only manually check for updates and never allow Windows Update to change your hardware drivers.

Next, given your sleep wake up and white out problems, let's try to reload your core drivers. Download and reinstall these drivers in this order:

Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver

Intel Display Driver

Realtek Audio Driver

If this doesn't help the only thing you have left to try is a Toshiba Recovery, to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup. This is considered the gold standard test on whether you actually have some hardware problem, or if you only have some update/software problem. Make sure to back up all your files, music, favorites, etc, first. If you have not already done so, you should make a set of Toshiba Recovery disks, the instructions for this begin on page 69 of your Satellite L670 Series User’s Guide, you'll need at least 3 DVDs. The directions for running Toshiba Recovery Wizard from your HDD's recovery partition begin on page 62 of your user guide.

If you run the recovery utility, when it is setting up Windows, at some point it will ask you if you want to run Windows Update automatically, choose 'No, I will decide later'. After Windows is set up, use the method above to disable automatic updates, and then only run manual updates, carefully checking to prevent Windows Update from changing your hardware drivers.

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck

Mike

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Wow, okay ... onward

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Crud, those drivers didn't do it and will have to do the whole system recover thing.  Do I risk loosing any programs or data?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..will have to do the whole system recover thing.  Do I risk loosing any programs or data?

Yes, Toshiba's recovery scheme, restores the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents. So it wipes the drive clean. You need to copy all the important data files and reinstall added applications later.

See the section Recovering to out-of-box state (recommended recovery method), which begins on p. 62 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L670 Series User’s Guide

If that doesn't fix things. then it's not a software problem.

Windows Vista/7 are not so easily repaired as was Windows XP.

How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
jack29

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Ummm. I am not sure I have the software for all my programs.  This is like a major issue, and I am not sure of all the files I need to save/backup.  What are the chances this will resolve this ?isolated? problem....am I the only one??????

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It does sound like a hardware problem to me. But in order to tell, it's best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

In the meantime, make an image of the hard drive. In case the problem is indeed due to hardware, you should be able to restore it to this or a similar model.

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7

How to Do a System Image Recovery in Windows 7

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
jack29

I think it is hardware too, today it did it on cold boot.  Time to take it in.  Wife tells me she got the extended warranty, so........

I do appreciate all the help here, I think we have gone as far as possible. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Time to take it in. 

Be sure to thoroughly back up everything, Jack. Those guys will wipe it clean!

I would create an image of the hard drive.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Time to take it in.  Wife tells me she got the extended warranty, so........

You can check that here.

View Warranty Coverage

But, like Jerry says, back it up first. There is a very good chance they will return it to its factory default out-of-the-box setup. so you need to back it all up first.

Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
YorkAlan

I have the same problem with the same model over the last month or so.  I have been able to reset by either the <ctl><alt><delete> and the cancel the blue windows screen or by pressing the power button to sleep and then openning from the Windows log on screen. Laptop is still under Warranty; just seems this is strange to start suddenly. I will start on the drivers earlier in the thread.

Occasional Contributor
jack29

Been there, done that, (ctrl+alt+delete) and eventually it will not work so get after it, I need to back all this stuff up.  (I suggest you know how many windows you need to close with alt+F4 so you can shut down cleanly.)  Thanks for the assistance here folks.

Occasional Contributor
jack29

So after I do the image, and get the computer fixed I do a system restore and I should have everything?????