phoenixxll

Is it possible to change the graphic card on Toshiba Satellite M645?

Hi, my laptop model is "Toshiba Satellite M645-S4070"

and my current graphic card is "Intel(R) HD Graphics" with 2GB of video ram

I am convinced that my current one is insufficient for gaming purposes

Is it possible to switch out the current graphics card, and upgrade it into a better one? (nViDia / AMD radeon)

digihax

Re: Is it possible to change the graphic card on Toshiba Satellite M645?

I'm trying to find out the samething man,we might have to get another motherboard if it's wielded on...

bengal0202

I need to know the same thing! I just installed Steam on my laptop in order to play some of the games that I play on my desktop when I leave the house.  I've installed an extra 4gb of ram on this thing, but I know that a graphics card would definitely improve things for me.  Hopefully someone will have the answer for us!

Hekdog

[ Edited ]

Interesting thought and I have no idea what this may mean, but it at least makes me interested.  The Satellite m645-s4080 has the same cpu and basic configuration of the s4070 with the addition of the Geforce 330M video card.  I looked around and did find the chip/board that you would need to install to add this to a laptop motherboard.  Looking at the board it does seem to install into a connector but without opening up my laptop to see if there is either an open connector or if the current integraded Intel HD graphics has a board in this slot I don't know for sure.  I would assume the Intel HD graphis is a chip on the motherboard that is there in both models it is just a matter of if the connector is on the motherboard for the s4070 and if the bios will support it.  If anyone wants to take a look let us know what you find out otherwise I might here in a few weeks. 

Google this to find the video board: nVidia GeForce GT 330M N11P-GE1-A3 DDR3 1GB MXM A 3.0 VGA Video Card BD Module

I found it for about $130 from somewhere in China.

Regular Advisor
alexuw

[ Edited ]

Short answer: Nope.

Long Answer:  can't be done because Toshiba uses a non-standard [non-MXM], proprietary parts [as many manufacturers do] for their GPU sockets .This only applies if your Toshiba has an existing AMD/ATI/nvidia GPU.  If yours is an Intel Graphics, then you have an integrated graphics which is built into the motherboard.

Thus, you cannot buy a different GPU and upgrade because it will differ in socket type, shape, and may be too large/small for your laptop.  Just can't be done.

If you are able to find that a Toshiba laptop is able to hold a GPU [such as the above example; higher family model is featured with dedicated GPU], the GPU still has to be the Toshiba version; any other version [such as any MXM]  WILL NOT WORK.  They usually are hard to coem by and cost an enormous amount.

Like I stated above, most manufacturers do it this way; there's no way around it.

========================================================
QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
i7-2630QM , GTX 460m , 18.4" screen @ 1680x945p