Chibichuba
Accepted Solution

Increasing Dedicated Video RAM? (Intel HD Graphics - Satellite A665-S6086)

My Satellite A665-S6086 Laptop uses Intel HD Graphics, and I wish to increase the dedicated video RAM.

Through dxdiag, it says I have 1696MB of Approximate Total Memory, but I only use 64Mb according to: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/analysis.aspx?name=The-Elder-Scrolls-V:-Skyrim&id=11231&se...

I went into the BIOS Setup -> Advanced, but was unable to find anything to alter the amount of Video RAM.

If anybody has a solution to this, please share it.

Thanks,

Chibichuba. 

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Increasing Dedicated Video RAM? (Intel HD Graphics - Satellite A665-S6086)

[ Edited ]

Satellite A665-S6086 Specifications

Satellite A665-S6086 Downloads

Short answer is no, you can't.

The long answer is your specs show your video card uses 64MB-1696MB of dynamically assigned RAM. This means your video card automatically uses some of your system RAM for your video/graphics card. So, as the video demands increase, your system automatically assigns more system RAM to your graphics card. This will be a minimum of 64MB to a maximum of 1696MB.

Your card has no dedicated video RAM, no VRAM, of its own. This severely impacts the performance of the card. As well, you have an Intel graphics chip, integrated into an Intel chipset, integrated into your motherboard. So, there's no way to upgrade your graphics capabilities..

To see what your card is using at any one time, go to your desktop, right click on a blank part of the screen, left click on 'Screen resolution', and click on 'Advanced settings'. At the bottom of the 'Adapter' tab, in 'Adapter information', you will see your video card's memory breakdown.

Mike

Chibichuba

That cleared up all of my confusion on this subject. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Chibichuba

Super Advisor
miker643

You're welcome. Sorry if it wasn't the news you were hoping for.

Mike

coolcalmgabe

IT is possible if you are able to access the advanced chipset menus in the bios setup screen. But you are not able to with the stock Toshiba motherboard EHOW Link

Super Advisor
miker643

...But you are not able to with the stock Toshiba motherboard....

Then you still cannot do it unless you replace the whole motherboard.

Mike

Chibichuba

Although it is integrated with the motherboard, is it possible to use an external graphics card, such as Nvidia?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Use an 'external graphics card', sure why not? But, if playing games is all that important to you, why not just buy an upgradeable desktop that can really do the job? You going to cart this mess around with you? See this pic.

How to Upgrade Your Notebook Graphics Card Using DIY ViDOCK

This is my last post here.

Mike