jdopp

HDMI Out Stopped Working Satellite T135-S1310

[ Edited ]

My HDMI out has stopped working.  I used to be able to hook my computer up to my TV via HDMI.  However it has stopped working.  The TV says there is no signal and my computer doesn't detect another monitor when it is hooked up.  I think this happened after a recent windows update.  Do I need to reinstall something?    Computer is a Satellite T135-S1310.  Part no. is PST3AU-00G009 and the serial number is XXXXXXXXX.  The serial number might not be right.  The area where the XX are is pretty worn so might be XX.

Thank you in advance for any help.

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Peter

Re: HDMI Out Stopped Working Satellite T135-S1310

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

- Peter
jdopp

Peter,

I tried the system restore but it didn't change anything.  When I hook the HDMI cable up the screen on the computer appears to adjust like it is hooked up to a TV but the screen on the TV still doesn't receive a signal.

Is there anything else I can try?

Peter

Right-click on your desktop and select "Screen resolution." In the window that opens, does it show two displays? Under "Multiple displays," select "Extend these displays" or "Duplicate these displays."

- Peter
jdopp

It shows two displays with blue screens and shows a 3rd display that is grey when the HDMI is hooked up to the TV.  I just noticed also that it is recognizing the TV on the laptop because in the display drop down my Panasonic TV is listed.  I tried both extending displays and duplicate these displays but the TV screen still just stays black.  I have tried different cables and tried different TVs.

Peter

It shows two displays even when you're not connected to the TV? What's that second display?

- Peter
jdopp

In the display dropdown it says "2. Display device on: VGA".  The number one option which is selected is "Mobile PC display".

Peter

Do you have anything connected to the VGA port?

Let's try reinstalling your display driver as well.

Intel Display Driver for Windows 7 (64)(v8.15.10.1883; 10-21-2009; 27.27M)

- Peter
jdopp

There is not anything hooked up to the computer even though I am not sure what a VGA port is even for.

I tried reinstalling the driver you recommended.  However it gets all the way to what I believe is the last step of the setup process and then I get this error message "An unknown error has occurred.  Setup will exit."  I have attached a picture of the error box and where the setup process is when it occurs.  I have tried it a couple of times. 

I checked for viruses, adware, and malware to make sure any of those weren't the problem.  Any suggestions?

Peter

VGA is an analog connection used for older computer monitors and some TVs.

Unfortunately, I'm running low on ideas besides trying a full recovery (which returns the computer to factory defaults but removes all your installed applications and data). You might want to try calling customer support at (800) 457-7777. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

- Peter