lopan

Driver Issue and Vga to S-video/Composite problems with L300 (PSLB8C AA3041)

Hello

I have a Satellite L300 PSLB8C AA3041 running windows 7 SP 1, Bios Version 2.20, and video drivers 7.15.10.1502. 

My problem is as follows:  I have only VGA out on my laptop.  I have an adapter that converts VGA to Composite/S-video connected to my TV.  I have the TV on and set to the correct input source.  I have the cable connected to the laptop and the TV.  I turn off the computer with it connected and leave the TV on.  I then turn the laptop back on.  (I only have one of the S-video or composite cables connected and not both).

When I connect the composite cable the laptop does not recognize that there is anything their.  When I connect the S-Video Cable the laptop does recognize that an external device is connected and I can go through all of the settings: Resolution (for both displays), Clone, Extended, Primary, Secondary, etc. 

However no video is displayed on my TV.  I checked bios and saw that bios was to be posted to a CRT whenever one is connected.  With S-video connected my laptops display is black during the bios post as if the image is being sent to the TV, but the TV shows no image.

lopan

Re: Driver Issue and Vga to S-video/Composite problems with L300 (PSLB8C AA3041)

I have tried to update the video drivers through windows update, the Intel website, and Toshiba.

Windows update doesn't recognize that they need to be updated.

The Intel website lists newer drivers for 'Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD' and I have downloaded them.  When I install them all seems to go fine, but the drivers still read as 7.15.10.1502.  I read a post where drivers 8.15.10.1883 were recommended and downloaded them from the archives, but had the same problem.

The built in Toshiba update utility (I forget the name) says that I do not need any updates.  The Toshiba website http://support.toshiba.ca/support/download/listdrivers/drivers.asp says that my two and a half year old drivers are the only ones the have available.

I completely deleted the drivers and tried a fresh install with the ones provided at the above site.  When trying to install them I kept getting the error message that they were not for the operating system I was using (win7 32).  I double, triple checked and downloaded the corresponding drivers but kept getting the same message.  I manually directed the video card to check for drivers in the folder where I extracted the download to and it worked fine.

lopan

Re: Driver Issue and Vga to S-video/Composite problems with L300 (PSLB8C AA3041)

I connected an old Acer LCD monitor via VGA and it worked fine (just to make sure the VGA connector was fine).

When I did have the VGA adaptor connected with the S-Video I tried running clone with both at 800x600 and 1024x768, I tired extended with both at 800x600 and 1024x768, I tried with the CRT (S-Video) as the only monitor at 800x600 and 1024x768.

I am using a Samsung 50 inch DLP (HLT5076 if it matters).  Could the size/scaling cause some sort of issue for achieving video output?

I can not think of anymore information right now, but if there is something I left out please let me know.

Sorry for all the text.

Thank you.

Super Advisor
miker643

I think we can fix your drivers up. However, whether this will help your VGA to S-Video adapter to work properly, I cannot say.  If you give us the actual make and model of this adapter, it may help.

First, go into Device Manager by clicking on 'Start' and then typing in   devmgmt.msc   and then click on this file. Next, click on the arrow beside 'Display adapters', then right click on the 'Mobile Intel GMA 4500M Graphics' adapter, then left click on 'Uninstall', and click 'OK' to confirm uninstall.

Given the limitations of your system, I am assuming that you are using Windows 7 32bit. Download these drivers to your desktop and install them in this order. These are zip files from the Toshiba Europe site, some of which are a little more up to date than the Canadian drivers, so you must extract the .exe files to be able to double click on them to install. These are the Satellite L300 PSLB8E drivers, which will work fine in your system

Chip Set Utility Intel Windows 7-32Bit 9.1.1.1019

Storage Manager Intel Windows 7-32Bit 8.9.2.1002

Robson Package Intel Windows 7-32Bit 1.10.0.1012

Registry Storage Patch Toshiba Windows 7-32Bit 1.0

Display Driver Intel Windows 7-32Bit 8.15.10.1883

Sound Driver Realtek Semiconductor Corporation Windows 7-32Bit 6.0.1.5904

Registry Patch Toshiba Windows 7-32Bit 1.2

I know this seems like a lot, given your problem. But, I don't know the method by, or the order in which you installed your Win7-32 drivers. You should generally not download drivers directly from the chip mfg, as Toshiba 'tweaks' its drivers to make them work properly. Nor should you allow Windows Update to change the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers.

Let us know what happens, and send the make and model of your VGA - S-Video adapter, if this makes no difference.

Good luck.

Mike

lopan

Wow.  Mike I can not say thanks enough for the quick and thurough response.  That does not seem like a lot of work at all considering the time I put in to it on the weekend.

I will download all of these files and install them in order.  I wont be able to get it all done until later in the day, but I will be sure to post my progress.

It is windows 7 32 bit. 

The adapter I am using is a Monoprice VGA - Composite/S Video Adapter.  Same as the one seen here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043012&p_id=2509&seq=1&for...

Do you think I need a powered converter box instead?

Will post soon with results of new files.

Thanks Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

The adapter I am using is a Monoprice VGA - Composite/S Video Adapter.  Same as the one seen here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043012&p_id=2509&seq=1&for...

The six reviews on Amazon only gave it 1.5 out of 5 average rating. I wouldn't say it's a very good pick.

Do the updates to fix up your drivers. Then take your laptop to a store and make them show you whatever they have actually works. There are also USB to HDMI converters, but a good one is more expensive.

Mike

Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

Those kind of cable adapters do not work. They only work on specific video cards that support VGA-s-video.

I have that issue before with a desktop computer. Sure way to get it converted to S-video is to get one of those VGA-S-video converters. Adapters simply do not work as the signals are not the same. It needs to be converted to another type of signal which in this case is for S-video. Get one of these instead. What is important is that it has a break-out box which means signal is processed.

lopan

Hello

Sorry for the late response.  Things have been very busy/hectic.

I tried the drivers and installed them all in the order.  The chipset drivers would not work, but everythign else was fine.

I will get ahold of a different adapter and hope that it works.  

Thank you both of you for your help.