slopesoar4fun

Display is black, with only cursor showing

I've searched the forum but haven't seen a suggestion solution that works for me.  Regardless of what I have tried, I still get the same result - the laptop appears to start normally, right thru to displaying the Windows logo, but then goes black with only the cursor showing.  Here is what I have tried:

• starting in safe mode
  • starting in safe mode with command prompt
  • starting with VGA mode enabled
  • starting with "Last Known Good Configuration"

Then I removing the battery and started normally, with again the same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

slopesoar4fun

Re: Display is black, with only cursor showing

I should have stated I am running Windows XP.

slopesoar4fun

I have made a little progress, though haven't been able to solve the root cause problem with Windows.  It seems that Windows has been corrupted!!!

-

Here is what I did:

• Checked to see if there are fundamental problems with my HD - downloaded a Hitachi HD utility ( http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/technolo/dft/dftnew.htm ),  burned it to a CD, changed the setup of the PC to boot from the CD drive, then ran the HD utility - no problems with the HD!
  • Downloaded a Linux type OS called UBUNTU ( http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download ), burned it to a CD.  I will run from a CD and has the option to run without making any changes to the PC.  It booted up fine.
  • Copied the data from the PC to an external hard drive.  At least I now know I haven't lost photos and music etc.

Hopefully the steps above, and in particular UBUNTU, will help others to recover their data.

-

It may be that I need to run the Product Recovery DVD that came with the PC, in which case all data on the PC will be lost. 

-

Hopefully someone here can advise as to a means to fix the corrupt file(s) in Windows.  Any suggestions?

-

Thanks,

David

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which computer do you have, David.

Advanced troubleshooting for general startup problems in Windows XP

-Jerry
slopesoar4fun

Jerry,

Thanks for the link, though it seems like I have tried everything I can except to perform and in-place upgrade.  I can't do that because I don' have the XP installation CDs, I only have the Product Recovery DVDs that came with the unit.

The PC model is Satellite A100.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Since you've recovered the data files, David, it's probably time to restore the hard disk to its original factory-new contents using the Toshiba recovery media.

If you need to come back here, tell us which Satellite A100 you have.

-Jerry
GenerickUser

I am having the same problem with a

Satellite M305-S4907 Win Vista Home premium,

I had a virus/malware problem, I ran malwarebytes, it found 27 items. (I did not print out the logfile) it was still running poorly, so I did a restore from before when I noticed the issues. Now It boots up, I can see the bios splash screen and it will ask if I want to boot into Safe Mode, etc.

None of the safe mode options or the regular windows load option works. It just has a black screen with a movable cursor.

If I hit shift 5 times for stickey keys, the dialog box comes up but I cannot use any sticky keys. Any help  would be appreciated.

Thanks

GenerickUser

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite M305-S4907 

When you boot holding down the F8 key, can you reach the Advanced Boot Options menu?

If so, what happens when you select Repair Your Computer?

-Jerry
bigchase

I am having the same trouble with A205-s5812 I can't access the windows recovery by pressing f8. Also I cant boot via cd/dvd even if i try to change boot order I am at a loss as to where to check next any ideas would be helpful all I have is black screen with cursor flashing in upper left corner

bigchase

running vista

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A205-S5812 

"Turn the computer on, and immediately press and hold the F8 key."

After several seconds, that should get you to the Advanced Boot Options screen. If not, the hard drive may be inaccessible.

-Jerry
bigchase

Jerry

Thanks thats what I was thinking. I was gonna swap out the HD and then reload windows but I was trying to get the recovery disks to load by changing the boot order but it won't load them either get the same black screen with cursor in upper left corner. Toshiba tech support says it's a software issue but I see that's their answer for quite a few of the problems I've read in the forums. I'm going to class working on my MCSE but I just can't seem to figure this one out. i'mmaking a career change thanks to the military and my new disability.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry