Grimreaper

Connecting an external monitor to a toshiba laptop?

[ Edited ]

I have a friend who gave me a laptop because it was basically destroyed. I have worked on it recently and got it back to normal shape except for two things that can't be fixed. The monitor can't be fixed so I threw that to the side, and the keyboard is dead so I threw that to the side too. So now all I really have is a small computer with no monitor nor screen. My question is how can I hook up an external screen with no default keyboard? I keep hearing about fn keys, but I haven't got a keyboard with the fn keys on it. I have a usb keyboard hooked up but it doesn't have fn keys on it. I honestly don't know more about the laptop except that it is a toshiba.When I had a dummy load hooked up to it it tried to work at least it seemed like it. I was using the old broken monitor for a dummy load it seemed liked it was going to work with the dummy load hooked up, but the cable hook to the monitor kind of broken when I was unhooking it to go and finish up the laptop so now I have not got a dummy load. So I'm flying blind here and have no way of figuring this out without some help. The external monitor does the check about 4 times then goes to the screen that says no source signal. I only have a vga cable to hook the monitor up with so anything to do with any other cables wont work.If you want me to I can try to hook one pin to another to try and simulate the dummy load without the screen being attach but considering how tiny they are I think it would be really really hard to do. Thank you for any help in advance. 

Edit: The laptop is a toshiba satellite C655D-S5200 took me a bit to find it don't know if that will help any, but it can't hurt. I must admit that this guy is tough considering what it has been through and it still runs. 

Grimreaper

Re: Connecting an external monitor to a toshiba laptop?

Ok I got my friends laptop keyboard hooked back up and I got a few keys to work now it is on an external monitor. Can someone point me in the direction of an answer to this question or give me an answer. I want to be able to make it permanently starts up on the external monitor, how would I do that? (I need it to do that because this keyboard is really flakey to say the least)