Haribo

Built-in webcam doesn't work

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My built-in webcam on my Toshiba Satellite C650D doesn't work after reboot. I bought it about 1.5 years ago and it worked well when I first used it. I realise somehow the webcam doesn't work recently and I have followed the instruction to check the device manager. There's no imaging devices there or even I searach it, no webcam has been found. I have no clue what has happened. I ended up rebooting my laptop yet the problem is still there. Can you please tell me what should I do now? Thanks in advance. 

p.s I'm pretty sure I handle my laptop with extra care...... :smileysad:

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Built-in webcam doesn't work

First thing to do is reinstall the Toshiba Web Camera Application driver.  You can get it yourself by clicking on Downloads at the top of this page and furnish the info requested or post back here with your COMPLETE model info as in my examples below and I will get it for you.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Haribo

[ Edited ]

Hi C.B.

I have reintalled the Web Camera Application driver with the correct version (Win7 32bit) yet it didn't run after installation. The Face Recognition driver didn't run as well.

Btw, I try to turn on the web cam through Skype but fail.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Sounds like a hardware problem then. You can verify that by doing a complete HDD recovery to out-of-box state.  If the webcam still doesn't work, it is definitely a hardware problem needing repair. See "Recovering the internal storage drive" starting on page 59 in your User's Guide. BTW, you disregarded my request for your FULL model info!

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Haribo

Sorry for the model info request. I thought your first reply to my topic is asking me to either find the model by myself OR provide model info for you so you can help me find the driver.

My model is Toshiba Satellite C650D - PSC16C - 02700M Window 7 32 Bit.  Bought it in Canada.

By doing a complete HDD recovery to out-of-box state, do you mean a reboot? According to page 59, 61-63, it seems like a reboot to me. Am I correct? If so, I have already did it at the beginning (with out-of-box state) and the problem remains. So, a repairment is necessary?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

No! It is not just a reboot. It is much more than that; you need to read the instructions carefully againYou will lose ALL of your personal data and programs and utilities that you added since the day you started it. Therefore, you would want to make sure you backup EXTERNALLY all those things so you could return them to your computer after recovery to out-of-box.

Since your machine is a Canadian model, I assume you are getting drivers from the Canadian Toshiba Support site located HERE.  This one is for U.S. models.

C.B.

C.B.

Haribo

The manual states "Press & hold 0 (zero) and powering the computer", then the warning screen comes out.

pressed & held 0 (zero) and powering the computer..... it comes out with continuous bleep bleep bleeeeeep sound and no warning screen comes out. It then comes up with the user & password screen which comes out if I turn on the laptop normally. Any help, please? 

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

If that method doesn't work, try using the recovery disks you made when you first bought your computer.  If you did not make them as instructed, I assume you can order them from Toshiba-Canada.  At least, that's the procedure here.

It's beginning to look like you have more problems than just a missing webcam.

C.B.

C.B.

Haribo

[ Edited ]

Using the recovery disks means a reboot this time? My reboot procedure is exactly the same as Page 71 - 72.
:''(

Needa fill a form for laptop repairment now. Thanks for your assistance C.B.

jet1959mo

If your able to see the webcam in the device manager you enable it with the FN and associated camera keys.