Bnndy

Broken LCD screen

Hello, My LCD screen has recently broken on my satellite A505-S6960 and i am wondering what is the easiest way to repair it? Is it better to send it in to toshiba? How much would that cost? or take it to a repair store, or try and repair it myself? Thank you for the time

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Broken LCD screen

It would probably cost as much to have the screen replaced by eithe Toshiba or a private repair shop as a new laptop would cost.  You might be able to save some money doing it yourself depending on how handy you are working on laptops.  You'll need to contact Toshiba Repair to get an idea how much they would charge as well as local repair shops for their rate. 

Here are two good sources for Toshiba parts.

National Parts Depot

Spare Parts Warehouse

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Bnndy

I still have a warranty, but i dont know if that would count as anything for it. its just the main warranty that came with the laptop.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

It would depend on what you mean by broken.  If it just stopped working it would probably be covered under warranty.  If it sustained physical damage then no, it wouldn't be covered. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

rlburnett1

[ Edited ]

I can speak about a very recent experience, in fact, I am waiting for Toshiba to return my still unrepaired LCD.  My new satallite M305-s4910 (3 months old) all of a sudden started to show a white line when the system was turned on.  I know for a fact that the system has not experienced any physical damage, as it has been in my possession since it has been purchased.  I believe that it was either a defect or damaged in shipping.  Again, the first 3 months I had the unit it appeared fine and then in a span of a month a white semi circular line from the top center, curving toward the right side and the down to the bottom center slowly appeared.  The problem I have is that Toshiba had no interest I my story at all. Some geek (I say that with respect because I am a geek that works in tech support) in tech support decided it was damage due to abuse.  Even worse they have a customer Relations department that you are elevate to, but they base their decision on tech support....why even have a customer relations department?  Anyways, The earlier reply is correct.  Having Toshiba repair it will cost you probaly slightly less then you paid for the laptop and a local repair shop probaly wont be that much less.  There are quite a few places to buy an LCD and the price can range from 100.00 for a reconditoned LCD to about 350.00 for a new one (http://www.tblaptops.com/ , http://www.screentekinc.com/ and http://www.lcds4less.com/).  This site (http://www.irisvista.com) may also have step by step instructions (with pictures).  It can be a delicate process though so be carefull.

daw1992

My son has a brand new laptop that the screen cracked on.  It was less than 1 month old when this happened.  Toshiba says it's not covered under the warranty and wants $425-$450 to repair it.  I think this just stinks.  He bought it to replace a 3 yr old Toshiba laptop that's screen cracked and now he's stuck with a worthless piece of junk.  We're waiting on Toshiba to return this laptop which we can't afford to have repaired.  He used up his savings to make this purchase so he could do his school work on it and now he's just out of luck and money.  I think it's pretty bad when you have a laptop and the screen is so worthless.  It's meant to be carried around (in a proper computer bag - like it was), it wasn't abused because he was very careful with it (he's a computer geek) and it didn't even last a month.  Toshiba's warranties are about as worthless as they come in my personal opinion.  There customer service and repair department are worthless. I don't think the people there have a clue as to what is going on.  Are they even in this country?  When my son initially called he said the person he talked with barely spoke English and didn't understand what he was even talking about.  This company is a joke!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Unless you have an Accidental/Physical Damage Warranty (and those cost extra) then NONE of the Laptop manufacturers will cover physical damage to a laptop screen.  That would include cracks. 

The problem is that everyone always claims that the damage just suddenly happened even when they know for a fact that they damaged the screen (and I'm not saying that you are one of these).  This has caused ALL of the manufacturers to go to the extreme of NOT covering this type of damage from anyone due to the actions of those people. 

You might be able to get this covered by your home owners policy or if you paid for it with a Credit Card they might have some insurance that will cover the repair. 

rlburnett1

Dear cee-64

I think it is pretty pretenses’ of Toshiba to assume because a lot of people lie about the treatment of the laptops that everyone does.  A woman in the tech depot that I spoke with after they refused to fix mine under warranty stated to me that the internal workings of the LCD were easy to damage.  She actually said that even your cat walking across a closed laptop could crack the LCD screen.  What kind of cat was she referring to?  Did she mean the average house cat or the king of the jungle type of cat?  To me that statement indicate a very poor design to the structural components of the laptop. 

With All that being said, my problem with Toshiba is that they did not once call me once to ask what might have happened.  They called to tell me they would not repair the unit under warranty but could repair it for 435.00.

I work in Tech Support for a medical imaging company and I deal with customers on a daily basis regarding warranty issues and damaged or in-operable computer and imaging units.  When a customer calls me, the first thing I say is “Why don’t you tell me what happen”.  That was never done by anyone at Toshiba.

I will now replace the LCD myself which, as you probably know, is not that difficult.  This is something I would have done in the first place if I thought at all that this LCD was damage by something I did.

By the way, thank you for all your posts.  You are a valuable contributor.  It is too bad Toshiba doesn’t have people like you working for them.

reallybad

hi,

I purchased Toshiba R945 Laptop from Staples 2 months before.(biggest mistake by choosing Toshiba).  I myself was surprised nice look of it in first week. with in next 2 weeks the hinge started making problems. the LCD was slightly loosely tide and then suddenly during the tarvel i had in my bag and i opened it and it broke the side supoort for the LCD.

Now i talked customer care for toshiba and try to explain that it was not my mistake. usually people travel with laptop and you do not purchase laptop for always keep it on you desk.  but unfortunately they at firstplace were not ready to listen, nor provide suggestion/option apart from repair. also, the diagnosis( which is not needed) costs 115$ at toshiba with other charges for fixing quote given to me was 240$.  now laptop cost is like 450 after rebate, who will get such costly repair. I know it will not cost toshiba even 30$ for fixing this problem.  but they want to rip people whenever gets chance.

I try to convince 3 customer care rep. including supervisor asking for some reduction in rate as diagnosis was not really needed but it sound like they do not care. I asked them for parts so that i can fix it and they gave me site nationalparts.com which does not have part for this model.

I will probably sell it for few dollars this time. but will spread my words life long to not buy toshiba due to their policy of ripping people off for even small problem.

we should always buy dell/hp that has better service and who values business.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Just for the record, HP would have done the exact same thing in this situation. Their customer service is even worse than Toshiba's. Lenovo appears to be just as bad from what I'm finding out. 

pboglino

They just did the same to me today.  I was in shock.  the screen developed a white line.  No physical damage.  They won't cover it.  It's a crime.  I will scream and shout that no one should buy a Toshiba due the treatment I received today.