Newuser2011

Brand New Toshiba Portege R835-P55X Laptop Screen Issues

Hi everyone. First of all thank you for helping me out. I am having some difficulty with my new laptop and I am not sure if i need to send it in for repair or is this how the laptop is. My screen has 2 issues, first is that when I am watching a movie online for example and switch tabs to check my email my display is blurry for about 20 seconds and the becomes clear like it should be. This has happened multiple times and I am not moving the screen at all, it is blurry one second and clear the next. Issue number two is the screen appears grainy, i can see faint horizontal and vertical lines on the screen and it is nusiance considering I have older laptops which do not seem to exhibit this quality. Upon some research I think this might be called the "screen door effect" however I am not sure if that is correct and if I can fix it. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated, and my laptop is brand new so I m sure it is covered under warrenty, please offer suggestions on how to fix these issues. Thanks again!

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Brand New Toshiba Portege R835-P55X Laptop Screen Issues

First, there have been a number of Intel chipset and video fixes in various BIOS updates for your system, so let's make sure you have the latest update. Click on 'Start' and type in   sys   , click on 'System Information', in the 'System Summary' look on the right hand side for 'BIOS Version/Date'. If you do not have BIOS update v2.80, then download this file, and after a fresh reboot, double click on this file to begin installation, and carefully follow these directions:

ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.80 for Portege/Tecra/Satellite R830/R840/R850

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

Next, let's make sure you have the correct display driver installed, download this to your desktop and double click to install.

Intel Display Driver(v8.15.10.2353; 04-11-2011)

Let us know if this helps at all. Good luck.

Mike

Newuser2011

Hi Mike I downloaded both the BIOS and Intel graphics driver, and now both are installed properly. However when I switch from video to normal screen I am still experiencing the same issue. A better way to describe it is as if the screen wakes up from being to blurry to clear. Specifically when looking at the screen the text is difficult to read due to lack of clarity and colors (gray and blue) look almost the same. Then after about 10-20 seconds the screen lights up a little and the text gets clearer. Also I did not mention in my last post that this issue seems to occur only when the AC power is not pluged in and the laptop is running on battery power. Again thank you so much for your help. 

Super Advisor
miker643

I'm not sure if this will help your specific video/display problem, but given it only happens when you are running on the battery, it's worth a try.

Try resetting the power plans to the default. Enter this at an elevated command prompt.

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

mungerilal

Mike,

I can confirm that I am sffering from the same issues. By BIOS has been updated to the latest version (3.10), the correct and latest Intel display driver has been applied, and finally, the power settings are at default. No change - my screen still washes away when (1) I disconnect the power cord and (2) when, under battery, I bring back the screen which had previously shut off to save power by touching the touchpad. The screen will first grwo dim, then the colors will wash out (and anything gray cannot be seen any more) and then after about 30-45 seconds or so, the screen will slowly regain the color and the sharpness.

Occasional Contributor
luckman212

It is so sad & depressing to see other people with these exact same issues.  I have a P835-P56X and have the exact same color fade/wash-out problem.  It most often happens when waking up from sleep but I have had it happen many times while just using the laptop normally.  And I am also running the latest BIOS 3.10 and Intel HD graphics drivers are all up to date.  I've tried resetting my BIOS settings and Windows power plans etc but none of that helps.  Why would it anyway as this seems to be a genuine hardware issue.

Occasional Contributor
luckman212

[ Edited ]

Update: I think I may have found a fix for this problem:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Video-Display/R705-screen-randomly-dimming/m-p/225518#M12633

Will556

Hello, I was having the exact same problem with my Toshiba portege r835-p56x running windows pro 64 bit. 

Randomly, the screen would fade to white, wash out, get blurry, whatever anyone wants to call it 

I thought it was an installation issue, so I reinstalled windows and wasnt having the problem.  Before installing the toshiba provided intel display driver, I took a system image. 

After I installed the Toshiba display driver, the problem came back. 

I restored it to the point just before installing that driver, and havent had the problem since. 

To be clear, the driver that is working for me is version 8.15.10.2353 released in April 2011.  The newer drivers were causing my washout.

RoyK

Having the same issue with a R835-P94 upgraded from Win7 Home Premium to Professional. Service Station indicates that I am all up to date.  The problem only happens on battery for a few seconds (sometimes longer) after the screen wakes up.  It looks like the screen is bleached out.  Not good.  If you want to extend your time on battery as much as possible (and use less power), changing to max performance is not really an ideal solution.  Somewhat disappointed  that my "new' laptop has a problem which appears to have been around for some time?

Nozila

Re: Brand New Toshiba Portege RARE-P55X Laptop Screen Issues

I have the same problem it happens whenever the computer is on but not used also when I connect the cord. It has just become a year since I'm using my laptop of this model and the screen stopped working and my warrenty year just passed one day ago.

Really frustrating. I think developers have to take a close look at the screen of this model!

Newuser2011 wrote:

Hi everyone. First of all thank you for helping me out. I am having some difficulty with my new laptop and I am not sure if i need to send it in for repair or is this how the laptop is. My screen has 2 issues, first is that when I am watching a movie online for example and switch tabs to check my email my display is blurry for about 20 seconds and the becomes clear like it should be. This has happened multiple times and I am not moving the screen at all, it is blurry one second and clear the next. Issue number two is the screen appears grainy, i can see faint horizontal and vertical lines on the screen and it is nusiance considering I have older laptops which do not seem to exhibit this quality. Upon some research I think this might be called the "screen door effect" however I am not sure if that is correct and if I can fix it. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated, and my laptop is brand new so I m sure it is covered under warrenty, please offer suggestions on how to fix these issues. Thanks again!

Newuser2011 wrote: