troubled

Blank screen

I have a Toshiba Satellite P205D-S8802. I have had it less than a year. My problem is the screen will go blank while I am in the middle of a project. I could usually turn the lap top off and restart and the screen would come back. Well today it went blank and will not come back. This time you can barely see the screen but not enough to do anything. You can not see the cursor at all. I am afraid of sending it off to be repaired since it has a lot of personal things on it. HELP!!!! 
Occasional Builder
CaptainTriips

Re: Blank screen

that may be a BIOS issue. Toshiba has a release on this and here it is:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=190932...

just a thought.

Frequent Advisor

troubled wrote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite P205D-S8802. I have had it less than a year. My problem is the screen will go blank while I am in the middle of a project. I could usually turn the lap top off and restart and the screen would come back. Well today it went blank and will not come back. This time you can barely see the screen but not enough to do anything. You can not see the cursor at all. I am afraid of sending it off to be repaired since it has a lot of personal things on it. HELP!!!! 

If you can see a faint image on the screen, then it is probably the FL inverter or the backlight tubes in the panel.  Your warranty should still be in force, so the notebook needs to be sent off to a Toshiba ASP for repair.  As to the personal information on your drive, I have two suggestions:

1.  Buy an external drive and backup software like Acronis True Image.  Then backup your hard drive to the external drive and use  the recovery disks to put the notebook back to out of the box.  Have it repaired, then use the backups to restore.  The nice part about Acronis is that it can be used just like the recovery disks to erase the hard drive and put the notebook back to the last time you made a backup.

2.  Call a Premier Service Center (click the 'Repair' link at the top of the page to find one) and explain your situation and that you want to send the notebook in for warranty repair without any hard drive.  If they agree, remove the drive and have the notebook repaired.  If not, try another Premier Service Center.  If none will do it, you're back to #1.

holly

I had the same problem - just updated the bios - hope it works!!!