rigo

Artifacts on my laptop screen

I must be really REALLY unfortunate with my Toshiba Laptop.

I own a M500 which was bought for me from US on dec 1 and sent to me in Europe.

Last year on march I had a big issue with my video card. I was getting a display error. The laptop was taken back to US, repaired and sent back to me.

Now on january 2011 (at less than a year since Toshiba US repaired my video card..in fact..replaced it) I have a video card problem, AGAIN, artifacts all over my screen, especially on "adjust to best performance" mode or "let windows choose..". On "best performance" i have artifacts only when I watch a movie, or open photoshop, and such.

It happened after I let my laptop for a while and the screen turned off to save power,..not sleep mode..forgot what is the name, and when i moved the mouse the screen turned on, but this time with artifacts. I have this problem since then.

The is no new driver to instal. I have no warrancy anymore, and at less than a year since Toshiba changed the video card, I have video card problems.

Is there a way to kind of repair it? What shuld I do now?

I will not buy Toshiba laptops anymore..that's for sure.

I attached  a few pictures

rigo

Re: Artifacts on my laptop screen

was bought on dec 1 2009..forgot to specify the year and those attached pictures look weird.

here they are:

http://nicospot.com/IMG_20110126_234825.jpg

http://nicospot.com/IMG_20110126_234814.jpg

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

What wasthe laptop sitting on when you left it alone?

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
rigo

It was sitting on my desk where it usually sits. I always take care of where i put it not to overheat and the side with the fan to be always free. So i have no idea hwat happened and why.

The video card is Nvidia Geforce 210M

It somethign to be done to repair it? Or i must pay to replace the card.

Anyway, I am dissipointed in Toshiba :smileysad:

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

There are a number of factors that could have caused the problem, the most likely is heat though, that is why I asked about where it was placed.

Try hooking the laptop up to an external monitor and see if the picture improves.

Laptop GPU's are dual head and even though the main head is failing, you may still be able to use the laptop with an external LCD.

Since your warranty has likely expired you would have to locate a replacement card if you wished to repair it.  If you decide to go that route come back here, and we can probably help you with getting the replacement installed with tutorials that explain the process.

What is the full model number for your laptop? M500-?

I know a parts supplier that does ship internationally, but I need the full model number to make sure the part I found is the correct one.  the price is currently $380.00 US, if it is the correct one.

For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
rigo

The first thing I did was hooking the laptop to a monitor to see if it;s the video card or laptop's monitor and it acted the same. Artifacts all over, so it is clear that there is a video card problem.

Now, where do I find a Nvidia GeForce 210M video card? Also, can i put another video card, I mean not one made by Nvidia with Toshiba to be forded to install the drivers from Toshiba site. I would prefer a video card by Nvidia only so i can install updates from Nvidia site, cos they updated them much quicker. The driver for my video card wasn't updated since 2009.

So is it possible to buy another card?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

What is your full model number for the laptop?  If you can tell me that, I can help you locate a replacement.  I did find what I suspect will be yours, but without knowing which laptop you have, I have no way of being sure.

M500-?  What is after the dash -, I need that to know the full model number.

rigo

The model number is M500-ST6422

Thanks

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Call this number and get a sales rep on the phone.  Their site lists an Nvidia 210M card for another M500 but not currently one for yours, but it might just be that the site has not yet been updated.  The asking price for that card was $380.00

sparepartswarehouse.com

1-877-253-8898