bullrock

Adding a Monitor

I have a A505-S6973 with a maximum screen resolution of 1366 x 768.

I recently purchased a 23" Wide Screen Monitor with a higher resolution to help my poor eyesight.  The monitor came with drivers which I installed.  I use the 23" monitor as my default, but cannot set the resolution higher than the laptop maximum of 1366 x 768.

In checking with Toshiba support there is nothing I can do to achieve a higher resolution.  This is my first laptop (and perhaps my last) and according to my user guide the only part of the laptop that can be changed is the memory.  I don't understand why I can't upgrade the video card.

Does anyone know if it is there is a way to upgrade the resolution, or should I go back to desktops???  Any help is appreciated.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Adding a Monitor

[ Edited ]

You can't upgrade the video card because there isn't one.  The video chipset is built right onto the motherboard and is not replacable.  There are only a few HIGH END laptops that have actual video cards that can be replaced, and the price of them normally starts around a thousand dollars. 

I have a 23" wide screen 1080P monitor that I have absolutely NO problem running at at 1920 x 1080 resolution with my TOshiba L305-S5933.  You have a better display chipset on your model so I can't see why it wouldn't as well.  In fact, I have the ATI HD 4670 on my desktop and I am on that 23" ws display at 1920 x 1080 as I type this so I know for a fact that the chipset and hardware does indeed support it. I did NOT have to install any additional drivers for mine to work with the monito at the higher resolutions.

Once you have the laptop running and the external monitor hooked up hit the FN+F5 key (toggle the F5 key to cycle through the various options) and select TV (or other external video device) only.  This should disable the laptop screen and show the desktop on the external at it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080.  If it doesn't go into the Catalyst Control Center to configure the display to the correct resolution. 

If that doesn't work try Built-in display and external monitor (extended desktop) and then Swap—Switch primary display between internal display and external monitor when using extended desktop. 

If none of the above works try downloading and install the direct from AMD display drivers. You will need to switch to standard VGA then uninstall your existing Toshiba supplied AMD/ATI display drivers before installing these though.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-8_mobility_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-8_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

And this belonged in the VIDEO / DISPLAY forum here, not in open topic.  Most people don't even look here for technical questions and many people only look in the forum that is their area of expertise for questions they can answer.  By posting in the wrong forum you make it much less likely that you would recieve an asistance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.