ArchitectRex

A505-S6960 Webcam initialization failed...

My Satellite A505-S6960 is only 6 weeks old, and I'm getting a message when I startup:

"Web Camera initialization failed. Please check your camera device and restart application or computer."

The same thing happens when i click the "Web camera Application" in the START menu, so I can't restart a program that won't let me open it.

The 'popout' webcam menu on the upper left side of the screen hasn't appeared in a while either. I haven't even used the webcam yet.

Can anyone help me? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rex

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: A505-S6960 Webcam initialization failed...

Satellite A505-S6960 

Try reinstalling the driver as described in Toshiba Document 98082243.

If that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the camera utility..

Toshiba Web Camera Application for Windows XP / Vista (32bit/64bit)

-Jerry
well

i have the same problem traied to change the driver didnt work

RCenteno

I had the same problem, but I was getting to impatient so I deleted the entire Web Camera Application the computer came with. Is there something I can do to re-install the entire program?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

RCenteno wrote:..

Which computer do you have?

-Jerry
RCenteno

I have the same computer as mentioned above. (Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960) The laptop came with Windows Vista and then I upgraded it to Windows using the free disc I received for purchasing the laptop. My built in web camera was working properly after I installed Windows 7 and a few days ago it stopped working and saying that it was incompatible. I just deleted everything that had to do with the web camera application and I downloaded the application from here. It still does not work. Would I have to take it somewhere or what can I do?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I just deleted everything that had to do with the web camera application and I downloaded the application from here.

Where did you get the application for Windows 7?

-Jerry
RCenteno

I got it for free on a disc. I bought my laptop at Best Buy and I checked on the microsoft website to see if I could get a Windows 7 upgrade and I got it. The web camera was working fine after I installed Windows 7 for about 2-3 weeks. So I don't know why it is not working. I have the web camera application back, but it says it is incompatible.

RCenteno

Part of what I just wrote about: I read something about getting the Microsoft Anytime Update would affect the use of the web camera. Could that be part of it or should I just take it to where I bought it or search for someone??? I tried to run the Web Camera Application with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and it still would not work. I also tried to use the previous version and it still did not work. I also thought that the issue was because of having less than 200 GB of HDD and I made it to 202 GB and nothing worked.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You said that you downloaded the web-camera application from there.

Can you give me the name of the file that you downloaded?

-Jerry
RCenteno

I know what the problem is. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they told me that the Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960 T6500 is not supported by Toshiba. So I have to wait for Toshiba to have a download or update so I can get it for my web camera.
Regular Contributor
smitty1938

[ Edited ]

I have the same computer. I have had no problems with the camera. Toshiba does support this model. There is a bios update to it that might possibly help. It is located here.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=234634...

RCenteno

Can you tell me exactly which one it is? I already downloaded the recent BIOS and the webcamera says that it is still incompatible. The Geek squad at Best Buy told me that I would probably have to wait for Toshiba to support this model and wait for an update. So I am not really sure what to do.

Regular Contributor
smitty1938

[ Edited ]

The latest bios is 1.7. I am using the Vista 64 camera. Works for me.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=234634...#

Under drop down boxes select cameras.

RCenteno

It still did not work. I don't know what is wrong with it. What else can I do?

Occasional Contributor
FredS

For what it's worth, I have the same computer, A505 S6960 T6500 64 bit upgraded to Windows 7 Home Deluxe from Vista Home Deluxe. I have called Toshiba support numerous times for problems and they have tried to help me. This laptop is supported. I even returned it at their suggestion to the repair depot and it came back corrected. My webcam does work ok. I don't trust the Geek Squad.

RCenteno

Well nothing seemed to work. I downloaded the web camera application from this website and I downloaded the BIOS that you recommended. I even tried to Troubleshoot the web camera application and it still says that the web camera is incompatible. Do you know how I can restart the application? Do you recommend I send the laptop to Toshiba or call them?

Occasional Contributor
FredS

It wouldn't hurt to call them. It's under warranty.

RCenteno

Alright. Thanks so much for all your help.

coalesce

[ Edited ]