Sabitsuki

tv turns on and off. can't stop it.

the tv tries to turn on then it shuts off. It does this continually until I unplug it. The power light flashes.  The model is 32AV502R, LCD Television. Please help.

siestabb

Re: tv turns on and off. can't stop it.

Mine has just started doing this as well. I went here:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/TV-Troubleshooting-and-How-To-s/55HT1U-turns-on-by-itself-wont-stay-off...

So far none of those suggestions have fixed it. Please let me know if you find a solution!

Currently, I cannot even get it to stop on Ant/Cable - it goes straight to HDMI1 every time, and I have that all unplugged.

lhobson87

The same thing just started happening to me. One thing I read on some other forum said to leave the TV unplugged for several hours. I'm planning to keep it unplugged overnight.
daport57

I have the same problem..... how can I do for loock solutions.... The TV have 1 yrears, and the problem begun 3 months and three days after buy

daport57@yahoo.com

xcel22

I have had the 32AV502U for 2 years now.  I have ad it with all the current cables plugged in for 7 months.  Two days ago, it came on by itself in the early morning and woke me up.  I turned it off.  A few hours later, I went to watch TV and it came on but no picture.  I turned it off and on and then it started working.  After a while, the screen went blank again and I heard just a weird noise.  I turned it off and on and it was working again. 

This morning, it came on again by itself.  I go up and turned it off and it came on again a few minutes later so I unplugged it.  I left for work, but my wife tried watching TV and it was acting weird.

I don't get why this is all the sudden happening.  Seems like a lot of people are having trouble with HDMI cables, but mine has been plugged in for 7 months no problem.

HELP!

nebmommyof2

hmmmm.......funny just got off the phone with toshiba they said they hadn't had reports of this problem. I am so upset with Toshiba both of my Tosihba LCD's have went out this month each with a different issue, why is it that these products go out at the same time but bought months apart? Thanks for nothing Toshiba

bobby_belle

Re: TV turns on and off. Can't stop it.

Same problem here started just yesterday, bought the TV last year December and now suddenly turns on and off by itself. Disconnected the power cord and all inputs, then reconnected.  It stopped turning off alone but still turning on by itself after 5 seconds I shut it off.

Will try updating the TV firmware tomorrow if it works I will inform, for the meanwhile Ill keep searching before taking the hardware to the techs.

jtaylor01

my LCD started doing the same thing back in August after it was only a year old. I took it to a tv repair shop and they couldn't figure out the problem. I just finally bought a new TV. I called toshiba a little over a month ago to report the issue and find out if theres any part they know of to fix it, they said it needed a new main board which is about $200
Regular Contributor
Railhound

See my post here: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/SL417U-Problems/td-p/250783

I don't know if your model is capable of connecting to the internet but if it is and you are then I'm betting that your problem is with your router supplied by your internet provider. I had the very same issue as you pop up after I upgraded to a CISCO DPC3825 router provided by my ISP.

Toshiba TVs appear to have a bug in the firmware that once they connect to the internet through certain routers it   causes them to do wierd things like:  turn off and on for no reason, stop responding to the remote control, or the picture to freeze.

Toshiba tech support in Canada is very well aware of this issue. I'm surprised that the folks in the US aren't.

coreblend

I am having the same problem here. Whe I turn it on it stays on for a while and then turns off and then turns itself on again. This happens for a while and then the green power led light just flashes. I have tried resetting the tv and I pulled the plug for 8 hours and nothing has worked. It does not seem to be an issue with the power cable. I saw some people in a number of forums suggesting a firmware upgrade but the firmware for this model is nowhere to be found. I understand that Toshiba would have sent flash drives with the firmware to its customers when this issue first arose.

Really not sure what to do now...I am utterly frustrated. If I have to buy another TV it would most likely not be a Toshiba!

Regular Contributor
Railhound

It looks like Toshiba has issued a fix for this probelm. I can't test the release because I no longer have a CISCO router but I'd be interested in hearing if another has tested this release with a CISCO DPC3825 or DCP3925 router.

Sabitsuki

I realized that I never posted what happened to resolve the problem. Apparently, one of the main circiut boards inside broke, and it can't be repaired. So we had to get a new television. It was not a Toshiba, that's for sure.

46xv640uzCostCo

TV turns on and off. Can't stop it. Sound is constant.

I'm having a similar problem with a Toshiba 46XV640UZ.  The image turns on and off, randomly, intermittently, whether via live stream, DVR recording, or DVD output.  Usually for 15 minute segments or longer.  When the image is on, it is crystal clear--perfect.  When it shuts itself off, it is black, totally dark, even when I shine a flashlight on it.  The image goes on and off immediately-no lines, pixelation, or slow darkening or fading of the image.  Whether the image is on or off, I have sound that is constant, so the power is definitely working and not going out.  The TV is getting a constant audio signal, which tells me my cables are fine.  There is no way the cables are being hit, or touched, based on where the TV is mounted and connected. 

The image problem occurs via my Xbox and Cable Box.  My Xbox is connected through video cables and my cable box is connected through a HDMI cable, so the problem is not isolated to one cable type or cable input.  The TV is not a smart TV. 

Anyone have suggestions or a similar problem?  I'm seeing a lot of complaints here, but no responses from Toshiba representatives.  Has anyone received any help from a Toshiba rep here? Or are we just providing them with free trouble shooting feedback concerns for their next generation devices?  

Peter

Re: TV turns on and off. Can't stop it. Sound is constant.

This is a peer-support forum. If you'd like to speak with a Toshiba representative, please call customer support at (800) 631-3811.

- Peter
Bdub242

Just purchased a 58" led smart tv toshiba. I live in the bahamas and it cost me 2k! It worked great for about three weeks. Was watching it last night and now today it won't turn on. When I turn it on the picture flashes for less than a second then it's black. I've tried everything. There is no warranty in the bahamas and no one to repair it. No one is helping me from toshiba. I'm just screwed. Ill never buy toshiba anything ever again!
Regular Contributor
Railhound

Re: TV turns on and off. Can't stop it. Sound is constant.

[ Edited ]

" Has anyone received any help from a Toshiba rep here?" No 

"Or are we just providing them with free trouble shooting feedback concerns for their next generation devices? "  I would say yes if they actually used the information to correct the problems so the answer is no.

goldsun

My Toshiba 40PX200ZE about 4 months back randomly goes off and does not respond to power on using the remote and the controls on the TV. However after the some time( some times it takes many hours), before it starts functioning normally. I have logged a service call and will post the update here once TOSHIBA responds to this service request. To my knowledge, this seem to be power supply issue. I have other devices like Sat TV Set top box, Philips Audio, etc connected to the same power source on the wall and these devices do not have any trouble at all. And of course there are many other equipments that work just fine from the same mains power supply.

moisonem

I had the same problem with a 32AV502R tv (turning on & off by itself). Never found a solution from TOSHIBA, not even a recommendation on time. I fixed the problem by buying not 1 but 2 huge tv's. Of course, non of them TOSHIBA. Their loss. I wonder if they realize how many customers not just do the same but also "spread the wisdom".

alsubihi

I had the same problem all day today, finally moved the TV to different room to try different electricity outlet, TV works fine on the other room, when bring back to family room, same problem happened, TV on/off all the time, finally found the solution, it was the remote control from the cabe TV box, for some reason was turning the TV on/off by itself, I removed the battery and put back on the remote, problem solved. Strange but this what happened.

oldtech

There is a surface mount cap that is leaking and causing the power supply to go into "brown out" mode and shut down. The cap is C808 and is on the back of the board by U2. Remove the cap. Desolder it, or break it off. Get rid of it and replace it with a .22uf soldered to pins 2 & 3 of U2 (or equivalent wiring). Pin 2 is the brownout signal, and pin 3 is common. That should do it!