punktileus

Re: White Dots all over your screen.

The same thing happened to mine (3.5 years old). Everyone on this forum has pretty much summed it up.

Either I make more money or stop watching tv :smileyhappy:

MNK
MNK

I have the same problem with dots spreading on the screen. We had warranty so they changed 3 times back to back. Last change was in January 2012 and the dots started in a month. Toshiba knows about the issues but does not want to do anything. Now I cannot afford to get the parts. Please Toshiba help!!!

Peter wrote:

Your best bet is to call technical support and make sure they know you're having the issue.

Peter

If you're still within your warranty, contact support to initiate a repair. If not, you'll want to find a service center that will look at your TV. I don't know how much that would cost.

View Warranty Coverage and Repair Options

- Peter
Bottlerocket

Peter,

I think the thing that is really irritating people is that this failure is a know issue industry-wide. Companies like Samsung and Mitsubishi are experiencing the same problem and they have extended the factory warranty to cover this issue because of this.

The bulb is a wear item, bulbs burn out and we all know that. A DMD should not be a wear item, there is nothing about it that should cause it to be, especially not after just a couple of years. 

What I don't think Toshiba understands is that there are a large number of consumers out there with your DLP product and word of mout travels quick. I know I can't, in good concience, suggest a Toshiba product to anyone after this. Even my parents were in the market for a new laptop and were set on a Toshiba, but I guided them to a more reputable product line with more effective customer support. I can guarantee that every person with this issue feels the same way. If nobody was doing anything to fix the problem, it would be a different story. But when Toshiba is the only company standing there with their arms crossed steadfast and not willing to help the people that keep them in business, it is a bad sign. I'll be taking my buisness elsewhere from here on out if I can't get this problem resolved, and so will my many friends that come to me with tech questions. Time for Toshiba to get their act together.

mrodina

[ Edited ]

Agreed....I dumped my 3-year-old Toshiba rather than mess around with a fix. Love, love, LOVE my new MITSUBISHI!

Bottlerocket

Same here. Im about to PCS to a new base in a few months. I'll hang on to this until its completely useless and revert back to my 32" Sony LCD thats about 2 years older than my Toshiba DLP and still going strong. Gonna start researching an LED to replace that junker DLP though, and you can safely assume that the $2000-3000 I spend on it will NOT be going to Toshiba.

mrodina

Bottlerocket...I got the Mitsu 73" DLP...you can find them for under a grand now....awesome!  and Mitsu stands by their products!

Bottlerocket

Sounds pretty nice, but my next setup is going to be with an LED backlit LCD instead. I often get stuck living on base housing so the living rooms don't warrant a huge TV, especially one that sticks a foot into the living room. I hear Samsung makes some nice LEDs

mrodina

Good luck,,,,and stay safe

rdam

I am also a victim of the DLP White death. Both the Toshiba company as well as Texas Instrustuments are not reponsive with regard to this broardly prevailing issue. The product offered to the public has proven to be flawed but the companies responsible for this technical meltdown are choosing not to assist the public with this issue and/or to compensate them for their flawed product As a Japanese company I would have expected Toshiba to adhere to their traditional values of pride, honor, discipline, loyalty, and self-sacrifice but nothing is further from those values by the way the cosumer has been treated in this situation. From Texas Instructments these values can not be expected. Indeed most consumers will have arrived at the conclusion that by failing to address this issue properly both Toshiba and Texas Instuments no longer deserve their patronage in future .
greenikat

My 65 is doing the same thing.. replaed the bulb 2 times  and white dots all over. ive called toshiba over and over and they gave me a service guy near.. they want $399.00 to cme lok at it. im so mad..

Boswell

Since so many people are posting this problem, has Toshiba started looking into the issue and is it something that can be fixed?
MMJLL

I as well have the same problem.  I had replaced the bulb after 2 years or so.  Then the kids noticed a few white dots and then more and more and more.  Probably about 35% of screen at this point is white dots.

I think the cost of the replacement your speaking of is pretty high.  And Im just not sure it is worth it.  But I guess you cant get another 65" for that cost either.  I guess I am afraid of what else will go wrong.

If I choose to go that direction, would you know where I would find directions on how to change one?

Who refunds the 230.00?

Any help is greatly appreciated

HDMI

Well add me to the list of people with this problem.  Right now I only have one white dot, oddly enough it appeared right after doing a bulb change.  My third since I own my 65HM167.  WHat ticks me off even more is that I bought two bulbs this time because I am tired of not having TV for a week when the bulb goes so now I have to decide what to do if/when it gets any worse.

NOT a happy Toshiba customer right now.

joshwalther

White Dots all over your screen.

I have had the same problems with my Toshiba DLP Projection TV, model # 65HM167.  White dots cover my screen.  Additionally, I have replaced my bulb multiple times, with the first time occurring two months after purchase. That first bulb was free, since it went out during the initial 90 day warranty period.  However, the bulb problems dwarf the frustrations and problems I have experienced when compared to the white dot issue (supposedly cuased by the DLP chip).

I have contacted Toshiba multiple times, but it has been a waste of my time.  They have not been helpful and will not take ownership of the problem.  Toshiba has demonstrated that they do not care about their customers, nor do they attempt to develop a quality product for which they can take pride.

I will never buy another Toshiba product. When purchasing various products, I’ve had family and friends narrow their decision to Toshiba, but I have persuaded them to stay away from this company.

akhazz

andybostick wrote:

I have a Toshiba 65 inch DLP that has almost no hours on it. Last week it had two little white dots on the screen. The next day 4 dots. A week later when I turned it on 10 dots. I would say this is weird except its not the first TV I have had do this. I had 2 Samsungs that did the exact same thing. Samsung acknowledged the problem and eventually fixed it. They sent out a tech to replace the bad chip. It took ten minutes. Toshiba to my knowledge has not acknowledged this obvious fault in its product. If I am incorrect please feel free to send me to the right place. I have had no luck with phone center. If you are experiencing this problem please email me at Andy_Bostick@hotmail.com. I am collecting a list of owners so that maybe there will be strength in numbers. Im not a lawyer, but I know a little bit.

I have the same problem with my TV, only with my TV the entire screen is covered with dots. Is there a fix for this?

please send me email at   akhazz@gmail.com

Maddogg

I'm sure it's not going to do any good, but mine started about 2 weeks ago and I'm up to about 50 dots already.  i'm very disappointed to know Toshiba is not standing behind this obviously defective product.  I will certainly remember this when I'm looking at all the other options/name brands on the shelf.  Sad thing is I did my homework on this set before I purchased it and read in numerous places that Toshiba stood behind their stuff. 

LT4168

I just sent you an email. I also have the white dot disease on my Toshiba DLP TV. Keep me posted on any information y'all my find. LT4168@gmail.com

JDixon

Wow, it seems the moderator deleted the post I made last night. That's beyond low for not wanting to recognize a manufacturers defect. Like others here, I'm having the same white dot issue and will not be purchasing Toshiba products due to their unwillingness to take care of their customers.

My main reason to post is to encourage all users here to call Toshiba customer support and make sure you have reported that you have the issue. Service calls over the phone are annotated and sometimes recorded, so give them a call and make sure Toshiba knows this problem doesn't exist with only a handful of customers. 

There may be slight hope that after enough calls they'll formally recognize the issue and move to fixing it, though I won't hold my breath.

TomT

I did a Google search tonight for Toshiba 65" DLT and this message board was the first hit that came-up. About a month ago my son notice our first white dot. Now there are about 20-30 white dots on the screen. Not good.