Occasional Contributor
andybostick

White Dots all over your screen.

I have a Toshiba 65 inch DLP that has almost no hours on it. Last week it had two little white dots on the screen. The next day 4 dots. A week later when I turned it on 10 dots. I would say this is weird except its not the first TV I have had do this. I had 2 Samsungs that did the exact same thing. Samsung acknowledged the problem and eventually fixed it. They sent out a tech to replace the bad chip. It took ten minutes. Toshiba to my knowledge has not acknowledged this obvious fault in its product. If I am incorrect please feel free to send me to the right place. I have had no luck with phone center. If you are experiencing this problem please email me at Andy_Bostick@hotmail.com. I am collecting a list of owners so that maybe there will be strength in numbers. Im not a lawyer, but I know a little bit.

Peter

Re: White Dots all over your screen.

What do you mean when you say that you had no luck with the phone center? They refused to offer you any service? That seems unlikely.

What's the model of the TV?

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
andybostick

Model number top65hm167. When you ask what I mean by getting no where on the phone I mean I spent a lot of time on hold then wrong dept. Then they said that they had no other reported problems and that the set was out of warranty so all they could do is give me the number for the nearest Toshiba certified repair center. It takes very little time to find out about the defective chips and its more of an insult to act like you don't know about the problem than just to acknowledge your not going to fix it. It took Samsung a long time to get around to admitting the problem. To the point I had to go out and buy another TV because the spots got so bad. They eventually did yield to pressure and fix the defect free of charge. 

dman1

Was the problem a defective chip or expected wear?  My 65HM167 also began showing white dots (3) two weeks ago.  Is this common for this set?  Is there a fix?

Thanks

Don

tlreedy

yes, I am having the same problem.  tonireedy@msn.com

Ronniew281

I have a Toshiba 65 inch TV model # 65hm167, its about 3 years and I paid over $2000 for it. Since I have owned this piece of crap I have replaced the DLP lamp bulb 4 times. Now I have white dots all over the screen. I called the repair center for repair, the guy came out, charged me more money and told me that either the DLP chip or the light engine is bad. Estimated cost for repair,,,, over $900 not including a new bulb since the old one just popped again. If I fixed this TV and added what I already spent such as the repair cost linked to the bad DLP bulbs,, then the average yearly cost of use for this Toshiba TV would be over $1200 a year or just over a $100 a month for me to watch TV a few times a week. Its amazing to me that this has been a problem for so many Toshiba owners and no one has fixed this issue. I will NOT pay another penny for this TV. I will BUY another brand and also make sure that it doesn't have this same Texas Instrument chip. My parents still have and use a TV made over 20 years ago,, it still works great. TVs aren't made to last anymore, they're made to be disposable just like yours and my money is expected to be. I will research the next TV to make sure I don't buy another well documented Problem TV. And by the way,, I called everyone I could to get this issue resolved,, I was told my TV was out of warranty and there was nothing anyone could do, So Sorry See-ya. Research your TV and Brand name before you buy your next TV, computer or any expensive electronic item. Some of us have to finance our TVs, its a shame when your TV goes out before you finish paying for it

Occasional Contributor
andybostick

So I just keep finding post after post about this problem and haven't seen any more responses from the moderator. Do you know if Toshiba has any plans of acknowledging this defect?

tjthames1

hello guys! new here I bought a 62hm95 from a buddy almost 2 years ago, have gone through 3 bulbs (seems to be the common place) but NOW it seems the light engine is going out ( high pitch fan noise then a even higher pitched noise coming down) then the TV shuts off, which from reading A TON of forums is the inaccurate speed of the color wheel, (makes sense). I know this is older Technology and THANK god I didnt pay 2 or 2500 for this 5 years ago, but being that this seems to be a HUGE common problem, does anyone know if there is any suit being formed for the light engine themselves? I know the bulbs were settled but **bleep** so what is a 3 month here is new bulb warrenty when they only last 3 months anyhow?? and NOW the light engines (I have even read a few power modules have taken a crap as well) are dying in 4 or 5 years, $150.00 bulbs, $400 light engines, if you can even find one!!! WTH TOSHIBA step up!

DeputyChief

I contacted the Toshiba customer support line and was told that Toshiba would not help me with my White Dot Problem.  I have a 65HM167 DLP HDTV 1080p that is only 4 years and 6 months old.  I first started seeing the white dots in June of 2011 so I called Toshiba and did not get any help and was told it was outside of the Toshiba Warranty.  I was then told to contact the place where I purchased the TV and see If I had a extended warranty.  I contact Circuit City and found out I had a 4 year warranty that had expired a month earlier.  WOW wouldn't you know it.  I then started researching on the internet about the white dots and found SAMSUNG AND MITSUBISHI had the same problems with their DLPs and they repaired them at no cost to the customer.

I would like to know if Toshiba plans on fixing this problem with their DLPs or select models of DLPs that this is happening too.

I am not happy that I already called customer support with no results.  I love toshiba and their products and would like to continue purchasing them but why should I continue if they do not help the customer when it is not our fault that this has happened.  I fully understand the BULB going out and paying for a new one but to have this happen the the light chip is just unsat.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V/R

Salvador Cuellar

tjthames1

the sad part is it is probably all the same manufacturer of the light engine/ DLP chip as the others, this is incredible and I understand dealing with repair cost etc, and having to take ownership of the set at some point, however if you have a KNOWN defect then they should offer something or to be able to get the parts at cost! if you can even find a light engine its $400 but have to send your old in as a core first!! as I am sitting here with my TV cycling on and off trying to find the right speed at which to fire up the color wheel! No wonder Toshiba isnt part of the top 3, (Samsung, Sony, Sharp!)

tlreedy

This is terrible.  We had to finance our TV and I can't believe we are having to go through this problem without any help from Toshiba.  We are almost 60 years old, do not have a lot of money, live in a mobile home in a mobile home park trying to put our youngest daughter through college.  My 83 year old mother is living with us due to financial and health reasons and you would think a huge company like Toshiba would care enough about their customers that they would fix this problem themselves.  This sounds like the biggest scam.  We paid over $2,000 and I have spent $250 on a bulb so far and now I have to buy a chip that's over $450??????  Give me a break!  This is thievery!

Occasional Contributor
andybostick

Customer Satisfaction Is A Priority For Toshiba
Toshiba offers a very wide range of products in diverse industries in the United States. For each of our businesses, we consider customer support, satisfaction and feedback an essential element of our overall marketing effort. Please follow the appropriate links below for your product to obtain support, contact information, downloads and other information you may need. Unless that means admitting we've placed defective components into our products. In that case we refuse to acknowledge that there is anything wrong and just ignore you.
duttry56

My 65hm167 (4 yrs old) started doing the same thing two weeks ago. Posted a message before I found this one. Hopefully Toshiba sees this as a premature part failure and does something. Of course,If I would have known about the MTBF of the chip I would not have bought a DLP.

Occasional Contributor
andybostick

Do you check these threads? How many people have to come forward before there is something done?

Peter

I don't have any other information. Obviously it's a hardware problem and not something I can solve over the forum. If it's out of warranty, unfortunately you'll have to pay to have it repaired.

- Peter
DeputyChief

Peter,

With everyone coming forward on this forum and others don't you think it is not just a hardware problem but a DEFECTIVE Hardware Problem.  It was found that Bulbs were Defective and Toshiba backed that and got everyone who filed complaints replacements.

I would like to know if Toshiba is doing something to investigate these claims from those of us that purchased a Toshiba DLP and in 4 years or less started having Light Engine Chip Issues.  Other manufacturers had the same issue with the Texas Instuments Chip and they fixed it at no cost to the purchaser but Toshiba is not willing to do the same.

DeputyChief

Thats nothing, keepo watching and eventually those white dots will turn black.  Soon enough you will have a combination of White and Black dots that will take over the whole screen.

This is very sad.  I love my Toshiba.  I have 3 Toshiba's and my DLP is the most loved in the house.  I am trying to convince my wife to get a new Toshiba LED but she says NO because they are not willing to take responsibility for a faulty part and fix it like the other Television Manufacturers that had the same problem.

Occasional Contributor
andybostick

Over 471 views from the original post. Still no response. Does the moderator of this forum have the ability to contact toshiba? I would like to think that being some kind of advocate would be reading this from the company. Someone that wanted to help with customer relations. I know that this has been a toshiba free Christmas with my family and it looks like that will be from now on. 

Occasional Contributor
andybostick

Do you have the ability to contact Toshiba? With over 471 views as of today isn't it in Toshiba's best interest to at least acknowledge the problem exists?

Peter

Your best bet is to call technical support and make sure they know you're having the issue.

- Peter