Havikats

WII and VCR will only show in black and white.

While in WII or VCR mode, the video only appears as black and white. Any suggestions?

Peter

Re: WII and VCR will only show in black and white.

What model number is your TV? What kind of cables are you using to connect them? If you're using composite cables (red, white, and yellow) while connecting the video into a colorstream port, this effect can be seen.

- Peter
Havikats

Hi Peter,

It is a 40FT2U.

Havikats

Peter, my husband just told me that when we switched out our VCR for a newer one (which DOESN'T have the composite cables, that the VCR now works. It seems that was the problem.

So, this begs the question of what we should do with the WII since it DOES have composite cables.

Peter

The Wii uses the older composite cables by default, but you can purchase newer component cables.

Nintendo: Online Store

That's just a sample link. I obviously haven't done any price checking, and you should be able to find it in local stores as well.

- Peter
BossJap

You might want to try this as well.

1 From the Preferences menu, highlight AV Input.
2 Press left or right to select your desired setting.

so if your using a composite cable, then you have to switch AV Input to VIDEO then if you are using component then you have to switch back to COLOR STREAM

mithander

I had this same problem and switching to "video" instead of "colorstream HD" fixed it. However, I did eventually buy component video cables (GE brand) to use with my Magnavox DVD player, but the TV (40FT2U) does not receive any video input with the component cables, even if I switch back to "colorstream HD." Do I have to use Toshiba devices to use their "colorstream HD" component input?
TJones314

HEY MAN THAT WORKED AWESOME, THANX IVE BEEN RACKING MY BRAIN, OVER THIS WII, AND THAT WAS A QUICK FIX THANX MAN!!!

sturdevant_1

Thank you for the tips...was getting very frustrated with mine being black and white and grainy. 

khill1018

THANK YOU!! I was becoming very disappointed in this TV I bought it so my daughters could watch movies with their friends and that wasn't happening!

NickTup

Re: DVD & Nintendo only show in black and white.

[ Edited ]

I have a 2012 built 32C12OU TV, which works fine (and in color) when hooked up to cable, but only shows B&W when hooked up to either the DVD player or the kids' old Ninetendo 64. 

I read in several posts to select "Video" input instead of "ColorStream" when using composite hookups (red, white & yellow) which is what the Nintendo comes with.  However, the TV input choices are only:

0. Cable,

1.Colorstream,

2. HDMI1,

3. HDMI2, and

4. PC. 

I am not sure how to get around this.  Where do I get to choose "Video."  I've read a number of posts, but I don't recall seeing this issue.  Can anyone help?

asnvic

The menu does not show Video as input.  No category found called 'preferences.  Have new 23L135OU.  

roberjor

Hi! I was having the same problem. You can change an option so that the "Video option" appears instead of the ColorStream. Go to Menu - Input Option - AV Input - Video. Then you can select that on the Input screen. Then I needed to change a cord on the back of the DVD player - like everyone has already said, put Yellow into Green on DVD or Yellow into Y/Video on the TV. Hope this helps if you're still having trouble!

ElsieH

THANK YOU so much for your post! It worked perfectly! You would not believe how long my husband and I was at it trying to solve this problem! Unbelieveable!