Shamrock444
Accepted Solution

TV went black..

It is less than 2 years old, and today the screen went black.  I still have audio.  Is it dead?

It's a model 26av502u.  26 inch LCD.

Regular Contributor
hb

Re: TV went black..

What's your video source?  What type of connection?  Have you tried other sources and other cables?

tvkaren

My TV has just done the exact same thing. Different model (40xv551db) 40" LCD digital. It is also two years old.

I can still see it in  ATV  mode (analogue), just not DTV (digital). Also I can still view TV through it using my separate  freeview recorder. 

Anyone got any ideas? If I need to pay someone to come and fix it I would like to know in advance what needs to be done.

Regular Contributor
hb

I'd try reseating/replacing the digital video input HDMI or coax cable first.  Could also be a problem with your provider, if you're not getting your DTV by antenna.  Once you've rule out the cable and have another TV you can connect to test with that would be the easiest way to figure out if it's a problem with the TV or your digital signal source. 

tvkaren

For anyone who is interested, I finally solved it. The TV had decided to sponaneously put all it's 'picture settings' down to zeroes. The answer was to go into each possible 'picture mode' under the 'picture settings' option and use the RESET option which returned them all to the default values.  Picture then came back as before.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Thanks for coming back to let us know your solution!

Jim

Jamese77

Your fix sounds great but since my screen is blank how can I accomplish that task? Thank you so much. Carolyn

moi
moi

My TV (32AV502R - also less than 2 ysr old) goes black.  It used to happen ~~2 hrs after turning it on.  It now happens randomly after a few minutes.  When it goes off, the front litle green light starts blinking with a random pattern.  The TV does not respond to any controls (remote or TV control pannel).  I have to disconnect and wait over 1 hr or so, otherwise it would stay black if connected sooner.  I have checked all connections and the settings show normal (have reset a few times just in case). Obviously as you can see your solution does not work on this unit.  Any idea is most welcome.

dhen

I have the same model tv and it keeps shutting off on its own also. I have a 5 year warrenty on it. I took it in and they told me it was some power source that needed to be replaced. The day I brought it home I had it on for about 20 minutes and out it went! It does the same thing as yours with the blinking light and then as soon as the picture starts to come back on, out it goes and it keeps doing this until you unplug it. I took it right back up to the repair place and now the guy that is working on it is telling me that Tosiba is the only tv that has a code in it that if your tv is connected to a cable box and you loose your signal or you loose ac from you plug bar or wall socket the tv will automatically shut off. I do not believe this is what is happening and I told him that. We could not possibly be loosing our cable signal or ac power this many times as the tv has done it a lot lately. It has done it right from when we got it, but then it went for months without doing it and then a few weeks ago it started back up until one day it just went crazy, shutting off trying to come back on for about 20 minutes straight until we unplugged it. I will write again when I get an anwer from the techs. They are going to probably have the tv for at least a week.

myhometv

I have a 62HM15 Toshiba TV, I did replaced the lamp unit 3 times in 3 years I don't want to spend more money can can I do? 

marty444

Try shutting it off for 30 seconds. I am still dealing with this black screen problem! I get sounds, but no pic.

marty444

My 32HL67 is only 4 yrs old. I get sound but no pic. The tech I called said the bulb in the light panel needed replacing if I shined a flashlight on the screen and then could see pictures. He said the bulbs should last for 75,000 hours. If I watch TV for 6 hrs a day, that is only 2,190 hours/yr. How could I need a new bulb? Also he said if the flashlight trick didn't work, then I would have to replace the motherboard or the screen itself. They should last 200,000 hours. After reading all the posts, I think there is something wrong with Toshiba TV's. I bought this when the price was very high. I could get a new TV now for the cost of a repair!

baxter-s

So, how can I reset the TV when the screen is black?  No set-up screen comes on at all.

46xv640uzCostCo

TV goes black, then turns back on.

There a lot of people with problems and not a lot of people with answers.  Where's the company representative with answers?    My TV has sound, but no picture, except the picture will randomly turn on every now and then.  The longest the picture will keep up is around 30 minutes.  The picture will stay dark for hours and hours, then, like a miracle, will come back again.  This intermitent problem doesn't seem like many of the other problems here.  Anyone have an answer?

Peter

Re: TV goes black, then turns back on.

Customer support representatives can be reached at (800) 631-3811. It sounds like you may have a hardware failure that would require servicing.

- Peter
funkyjeweler

Re: TV goes black, then turns back on.

Customer support is rude and  very unhelpful. Seemed more occupied in the conversations going on around them. Won't even give advice if TV is out of warrenty even just a few days. Tech support was useless.

GabrielAlpuche

I bought a Toshiba television December of Last year 2013 a couple weeks into buying the Television it would power on but no sound or no picture would show up. After going through a series of protocols on your website nothing worked we contacted the Toshiba support hotline and they said since its out of the United States there was nothing we could do about it. We ordered the Main Board and it worked after installing it. A couple weeks after purchasing the main board the issue has reoccurred can I please have some assistance we are in Belize in Central America! THERE IS NO SOUND OR IMAGE AND THE REMOTE IS UNRESPONSIVE!

puck345

Please stop referring members to customer service for the black screen issue. They do not have a workaround for it, there is no known way to fix it without professional help. All customer service did provide an ear and tell me they were checking their resources. The gentleman came back on the line several times with no answers. He tried to take me through a troubleshooting cadence that was clearly for another issue entirely. I'm sure they provide great information but its not very useful for this particular issue so please stop referring customers that line. thank you
Peter

puck345, if it does need servicing, you call customer support to set up a repair. Calling customer support is the official way to obtain support for Toshiba products.

- Peter
Dumbestoyster

Out of warranty means they don't give a **bleep**.