forlornpants

Regza RF350U Vertical Line Problem

I have a 40" Regza RF350U (one of the narrow bezel units) that has been giving me problems.   At first (about 6 months ago) a vertical section about 4 inches wide on the far left side of the screen started being displayed at a different contrast/brightness than the rest of the screen.   This happened on all inputs i had attached (cable, composite, component and hdmi).

Now the TV has started displaying multicolored lines over about half of the screen (again on the left side) when turned on.   These lines flash on and off for a few minutes and then the display seems to settle down and work as it did before (but with the 4 inch contrast problem still).  

After googling this issue, I have found several  other people reporting a similar issue with this model (40 inch)  and the 46 inch model.  According to the support site, Toshiba has extended the warranty period for the 46 inch models.  Is there any chance of this model being covered by warranty too?  I have owned this set for over 2 years so I know the 1 year warranty has expired.

Users who have had this problem and have had thier units serviced state that the repair person said that the panel is bad.  To me, this does not seem to make sense.   After the few minutes of "warm up" the picture displays properly.   So the LCD panel is still working properly, this has to be a problem with the controller electronics.

I am new to this board so I do not know if any Toshiba personell will actually read this or not.  If I am SOL on the warranty, I'd like to try fixing this thing myself.   Will Toshiba sell replacement parts to end users?

Thanks for reading 

forlornpants

Re: Regza RF350U Vertical Line Problem

I see that toshiba people do read this forum from time to time, so I am adding a little more information to show that I am not the only one with this problem. (i have not posted on any other site about this problem, so none of those posts are mine, even though they sound eerily familiar.) 

Amazon reviews

AVS forum Thread

When this TV worked, I thought it was perfect. I'd really like to get some word from Toshiba about fixing this.  I will be happy to provide pictures, videos or whaterver it takes to get someone (in a decision making position) to believe me.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Hi forlornpants, Although I monitor threads and occasionally provide info regarding known solutions/workarounds, there is no official support presence here in the forums. You'll need to contact customer support at (800) 631-3811 to discuss warranty and repair issues. Jim
forlornpants

Thanks Jim.   In the "46G300U Intermittent Flickering" Thread you mentioned

"Toshiba technical staff have reviewed this thread and the one referenced at avsforum.com,

and are investigating.  "

So I was kind of hoping that mabye my thread might catch somebody's eye at toshiba.   If you read the reviews contained in the links I posted in the previous threads, you may understand why I am hesitant to call customer support.    I do appreciate your response, though.  

linevans

I have a 52rv535u Regza television that JUST turned 2 years old. I am experiencing the same problem with my television and the vertical lines have consumed 1/3 of my viewing area! I called the Toshiba help line and they directed me to call a repair person who is over 2 hours away! I do not wish to purchase a new set and I would like the unit to be seen. Isn't there some way I can get this looked at without having to take a day off of work? How many more consumers have this problem?

billyork

This problem showed up on my 40" Regza this morning - a 3.5" wide vertical bar of brightly colored stripes on the right hand side.  Went away after about 15 minutes.  Same thing when I turned it on again this afternoon.  Does this mean "death" is approaching?  Called Toshiba Tech Support.  He indicated he had no information to indicate this is a "common problem".  What a joke.

forlornpants

" Does this mean "death" is approaching? "

Yes it does.      Mine has continued to deteiorate to the point it is now unusable.

LighthouseLady

I also have the problem with a 3 1/2 inch vertical line on the right side of my 40 inch Regza TV.  After calling the repair center that was given to me by Toshiba Support, I was told that the LCD panel is shot and the repair would cost $560 for a new panel and $225 for labor.  This is outrageous when a new TV would cost the same.  I was also told that this problem can be correct on the newer generation of TV for only an $80 part.  Any one have any suggestions?

Regular Contributor
hb

huh?  Your LCD panel is shot, right?  So you're saying that newer generation TVs have LCD panels that can be replaced for $80 ??

LighthouseLady

Yes, that's what I was told by an authorized Toshiba TV repair person.  Doesn't seem fair, does it?  Makes me think that this problem is more common than Toshiba Support is willing to admit.

suraj75

I have 2 .5 yr old 52RV535. Today, suddenly 1/3 of my screen (left side of screen, right side of the viewer) started having multicolored vertical lines. Gosh! I spent a fortune on this. I hope that this problem is fixable. Any luck guys

carolstv

I have a 26AV502R that I bought a little over a year ago.  Suddenly last night verticle lines appeared over most of the middle of the picture.  The picture is also cloudy.  I'm having the same trouble with my model.

seaofluv62

Good Luck finding support here .. email me at seaofluv62 at yaho...  u know the end .  I will let you know what my next step is is trying to resolve this problem.

seaofluv62

Hi.... I have the same problem different model # but I was told all the TV's (3 36: think a 42" and the 52") have the same monitor..  email me if you want I'll let you know what I will be doing to try and resolve my problem. 

pategnor

Have a 52RV535U that is 2.5 Yrs old 8" Rainbow line problem right in the middle. Can this be fixed or am I out $1800 dollars?

crstanford33

this television has been nothing but trouble since i have bought it once again it needs repairing vertical lines as usual, but the  good news is, i have to buy new tvs for the bedroom and i now know better than to ever buy toshiba again , lesson learned thank you so much. now does anyone know how much it costs to repair a 52 in regza

crstanford33

i agree with you also. does anyone know which is the best television to buy i need two for the bedrooms and would like to have them on the wall but i am leary of which one to buy because i don't want to waste anymore money on toshibas

gem2319

We have a Toshiba 46XV540U  which was just over 2 years old when we started having vertical lines (double vision) problems on the right side.  This was a problem for several minutes a couple months ago but has continued to increase in length to about 15 minutes now.  We had a Toshiba recommended repair service come take a look at it.  They said that the problem would continue to be longer and longer over time and then at some point it would never disappear.  Results were:  replace panel ($943.65 plus $220.00 labor plus $7.50 chems/materials) = $1171.15.  That is almost what we paid for the TV a couple years ago.  We had thoroughly enjoyed the TV up until this point.  We have never had a TV go bad on us like this one in our 39 years together.  We usually just get a new one for updated models.  We paid a lot of money for a TV we expected to last us many years. 

dmc2437

I have a 52rv530U, purchased new 12/20/2008. On 1/11/2010, I reported a vertical line problem that had manifested a couple of weeks earlier. The dealer/authorized service center told me that it was highly unusual. The LCD panel was replaced, under warranty, at an authorized cost of $2,531.91. A couple of months ago, the vertical line reappeared, intermittantly. Now, dealer/service center tells me that I need to call Toshiba Customer Service. Talked to a couple of polite folks, in the Phillipines, but, now, need to talk to the warranty department. Obviously, my one year warranty has expired. If this strip issue is so unusual, I'm curious to know if other folks have had a second panel fail.----and the result of contact with Toshiba.

dmc2437

Well, I've talked, so far, with four different folks, at Toshiba. The result--no help. Let's see $2500+ for a televison, for Christmas 2008. New LCD panel 1/2010. Now, it has the same problem. Average 15-16 mos. per panel. Oh, by the way, the first replacement was $2500+, under warranty. Now, the same job is $1550, should I choose to have it repaired. Hmmmmm. That makes for a lot of dollars in a television, with no warranty. The only logical conclusion is that I could expect the next one to die in 12-24 months. I am so done, with Toshiba!!! Will probably put this on FB and Twitter, also. Sure don't want any of my friends to have the same rotten experience.!