Ah_Trini

Regza 46RV530U picture problem

Hi, I purcahsed the above in December 2008 and have noticed recently that when I turn the set on the picture comes on dark and distorted where the right side of the screen has a double image and does not refresh properly so it remains with a ghost image. After about 10-15 minutes this will change to a brighter picture which is still blurry and now the screen will be separated by 3 horizontal lines. Another 5-10 minutes after that the picture starts showing correctly. Can anyone tell me what they think might be going wrong with it? I believe I am technically saavy enough to open it up and replace parts if necessary as it is out of the warranty period now.

Thanks for any advice that can be given.

Shaheed

44theheels

Re: Regza 46RV530U picture problem

Did you get a solution?  We have the same problem!

Thanks!

gem2319

I had originally posted this under the vertical line problem and just now realized my error.  We have a Toshiba 46XV540U  which was just over 2 years old when we started having horizontal line (double vision) problems on the right side.  This was a problem for several minutes a couple months ago but has continued to increase in length to about 15 minutes now.  We had a Toshiba recommended repair service come take a look at it.  They said that the problem would continue to be longer and longer over time and then at some point it would never disappear.  Results were:  replace panel ($943.65 plus $220.00 labor plus $7.50 chems/materials) = $1171.15.  That is almost what we paid for the TV a couple years ago.  We had thoroughly enjoyed the TV up until this point.  We have never had a TV go bad on us like this one in our 39 years together.  We usually just get a new one for updated models.  We paid a lot of money for a TV we expected to last us many years. 

swami69

I have the same TV whose picture has been progressively getting worse (after it has warmed up it is fine, but it takes longer to warm up these days). It started out with just one or two vertical lines on the left of the screen, and now at times the entire screen is distorted/discolored. After it has warmed up some, the picture sometimes snaps back in place after I push on the upper left corner of the TV or move it slightly, but it never seems to self-adjust these days. I have read numerous online posts where other consumers have the same problem, but I am unaware of a recall for this TV.

I'm curious how many Toshiba owners this has affected and whether it is specific to this particular model or multiple LCD lines.

StanSherman

Hi:  I was unfortunate to also buy a 46 RV530U . At 2 years it started to have distortion on the right side and a poor

picture. Repair says that it needs a new screen which costs more than the original $1100.00 Being an avid Toshiba

buyer for years I`m very disappointed and wouldn`t buy one again I see that many others are having the same problem.

Ah_Trini

Sorry that I haven't been on to respond to the topic. I had bought the set from our local RadioShack but it's out of warranty now and I had to go through a long process before they would agree to take it in to have a look. I am supposed to be taking it in soon and will let everyone know what the outcome is. If the cost of repairs is more than the cost of a new comparable set I guess I'll just get a new set. I am very disappointed though because we have another older 32" CRT toshiba set for about 10 years now and that one works great still.

Don't get me wrong I was very happy with the picture quality from the tv but the problem has gotten worse and we have resorted to not turning the set off at all. We just power off the cable box and leave the tv on with a black screen. 

daileyl

I have also experienced the SAME issue and purchased my tv in late 2008. I called support and they said because there was no bulletin they couldnt help. I have many toshibas so I was shocked with this response especially after seeing all the same issues on the forum. I am not going to pay $900-$1100 for a tv that I paid a similar amount to be repaired when I can buy a new one. Maybe now though it will not be a toshiba.

Ah_Trini

Well the tv went in to be serviced and as I suspected they are telling me that the panel has to be replaced but the cost of replacing it is almost the cost of a new set. I am now looking at getting a new Sony set as I am not impressed with the offerings from Toshiba at the moment and I am getting an additional 2 years on the warranty for just $140 extra.

I'm leaving the tv with Radioshack and trying to get some store credit to probably get a decent 5.1 receiver instead. I'm disappointed that it turned out this way and that Toshiba has never acknowledged that there was a problem with these panels but alas I'll just voice my opinion with my wallet and take my next purchase elsewhere.

daileyl

I ended up buying a new non-Toshiba tv as Toshiba would not provide anything or even call me back as they mentioned they would.
Laughing_Whale

Hi, I have the exact same problem, except it's on the left side of the screen (when facing the TV). Picture does not refresh properly  and shows the ghost effect. After 10 minutes, I also get the screen separated by 3 horizontal lines, and eventually the picture will show correctly. Well, recently it ended up being stuck with the three lines.

I am also interested in replacing parts: I thought I would start with the main board (I read that some data needs to be updated / see attached doc).

MalcolmDunnett

I am having the same problem. Is it the consensus that the only solution is to not buy Toshiba?

Dineromotor

We have the same problem.  We had an authorized service company come out and they told us that it is the panel; that this is a common problem with them!  The service man suggested (and showed us how to ) flex the panel to correct it.  It does temporarily fix the problem.  I called and found out that there still is no recall on this issue. 

Good luck.

ScottR

Add me to the growing list of dissatisfied owners of the 46RV530.  I purchased it in 2008; it's hard to believe that it would fail after just over four years of use.

Mhel

Count me in as disatisfied owner of Toshiba 46RV53CU LCD TV. I bought mine from Costco back in Dec 2008, and have the same problem since mid of 2011. Kept it in a storage for quit sometime thinking to have it fix later. after moving to a new house, i was able to find this forum. Im so disppointed with this TV as it lasted only to me for 3 yrs. Disappointed with Toshiba that they seemed to ignore which seems to me a deffective design, without recall or at least fix the issue with cost cosideration. 

auher76

I also have all  the same problems listed above with our 46RV530U TV. We also purchased our TV in October 2008.  In Oct. 2012 we started having the black on the right side of the screen with the ghost image lasting about 5 minutes but only ocasionally.  By Nov. 2012 It would increasingly do the ghost screen but also added where the screen and images would be all blue and red or green and red vertical lines and after quite a while it would get better and only have the 3 horizontal lines.  Sometimes we can turn the tv on and off repeatedly and it will occasionally turn on normal.  Now, we have to turn the tv on approx. 30min. before we want to watch it because it takes that long for all the problems to work themselves out.  Tech support has been of no help as of yet as this tv was out of warranty a few years agoe. No bulletins have been issued and no recalls either. This was a replacement to another Toshiba TV that we had purchased and was under warranty and went bad within a year also with screen issues. Does anyone have a solution to this problem yet??  If there are so many customers with this problem, why are they not putting out a bulletin or doing something to rectify the situation?

horn

Heads up, bought mine late 2009 just recently started to have shadows and thin horizontal lines. After a month the TV is dead. Needs new panel after only 3 years
auher76

One of the messages I read said something about the weight of the panel is too heavy for the frame of the tv.  That the panel is sagging and loosening connections or something and that if you "flex" the tv it immediately fixes the picture.  I have tried this and did find it to work immediately which is awesome for the short term.  I have had to do it a few times in the last month so it is a quick fix for the picture, but not a fix for the underlying problem...Toshiba????  Does anyone know how to stabilize/strengthen the frame to keep the panel where it should be?

Ardana

Wow, I am perplexed that there are so many customers experiencing issues with Toshiba TV.  I too am experiencing this same problem.  I never imagined that the tv will fail so quickly, I was previously a satisfied customer of Toshiba and its quality.  This truly bothers me that there is no recovery for obviously a defective low quality product.

The company should offer refunds or free repairs for these defective products, it saddens me that no one has had an positive response.

This collectively identifies fault on the behalf of the manufacturer.  :-(

Please advise if you know of any solutions, class action suits, etc

cbkowitz

I am having the exact same issue with my Toshiba 46RV530U

fredmdu

Another Regza 46RV530U picture problem

Exact same problem for us on this model (46RV53CU bought from costco). Problem started exactly 4 years after we bought it (Feb 2009) and we did not even consume a lot of TV time during these 4 years (about 10hrs a week max).

We are very disappointed by Toshiba who seems to clearly ignore the problem is not isolated. Maybe this silence simply means Toshiba is acknowledging the issue and do not care about consumers who paid a premium for a "branded" TV set. 

Does anybody think starting a class action would be a good idea to at least get our TV set repaired/exchanged?