marka09

No Sound when Using HDMI from ATT DVR to TV

I have a 52xv645u TV.  When I connect it to my ATT UVerse DVR using HDMI I get picture but no sound.  Using Composite everything works fine.  I've tried several HDMI cables.  If I use HDMI to my Surround Sound amp, I get both picture and sound (even with the amp volume muted).  The problem seems to be the connection between the DVR and the TV.  Does this TV support HDSC?  I believe that the DVR requires it to support it on the TV.  

I see that there is an upgrade for the firmware for this TV.  I have a Mac so the instructions don't work right.  I've downloaded the files to a flash drive but I am not sure if they are correct because there is no list of files available.  Does anyone know what files are needed so I can be sure that my flash drive has everything it needs?

Any help with these problems would be appreciated!  

Thanks,

Mark 

Peter

Re: No Sound when Using HDMI from ATT DVR to TV

After you extract the firmware to the USB stick, the root of the stick should have a folder called "ustv9as4" and two files, "6.1.46.0.txt" and "ustv9as4.prg" on it.

Does the TV produce sound if you connect a different device with HDMI?

- Peter
marka09

Thanks for the info.  I have 3 files on it - ustv9as4.prg, ustv9as4 (with 4 items in it), and 6.1.46.0.txt   I didn't do any extracting - it came in that way (I'm on a Mac).  

Yes, the TV has sound on HDMI if I connect it to the Bluray player or the AMP.  

Thanks again!   

Peter

That sounds correct. Are you able to update the firmware with it?

- Peter
marka09

Haven't tried it yet.  If the files don't work, will it hurt the TV?  I'm willing to give it a try but I just don't want to make the  TV inoperable.  Any thoughts?  

Peter

If the files are incorrect or for the wrong model, they shouldn't install. Of course, even when everything's correct, problems can still arise in any update process.

- Peter
marka09

If problems do arrise is there a way to correct them?  

Peter

Only by having it serviced, and you're TV is likely out of warranty. If you can configure your entertainment center differently to get sound from the DVR and are worried about damaging the TV, that might be the way to go.

- Peter
marka09

Is there a list of things that are fixed in the update?   I can get sound and picture through component but I fear that it's not the same quality as it would be through HDMI.  But again, it's only when I watch TV without going through my surround sound amp.  I can watch TV through my apm and watch my Bluray DVDs through the amp and it goes via HDMI.  

Peter

Sorry for not responding sooner. I was hoping to get that information, but I have not been able yet.

- Peter
marka09

No problem.  It's not a rush.   I looked everywhere to find the info but it seems to be a secret...  :smileyhappy: 

Peter

Just wanted give you an update. I still haven't received it, but it sounds like the person does have it. They just have to find the older archive. Hopefully I'll have it for you early next week!

- Peter
marka09

Thanks Peter!!! 

Peter

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are release notes for that firmware update. I know that might seem odd, but it's what I was told.

- Peter