smcclintick1
Accepted Solution

My Toshiba 37AV502U LCD TV channel flipping on its own

Recently my TV just started randomly flipping channels on its own.  

Its almost as if a up button is stuck.  

We have unplugged the tv.  Turned off and on etc.  

Doesn't only do it on the channels.  If we are quick enough to get it to the menu it starts going up on the menu selections also.  

The TV is connected to a cable box so it stays on channel 3 all the time.  We do not use the TV remote except when we change it the DVD player.  

We have taken the batteries out of the remote so we know its not the remote that is causing this.  

We never use the buttons on the side so I don't think it could the buttons would be stuck.  They don't look stuck.  

If we leave the TV off for a couple days it stops doing it and will let us turn it back to three and will be ok for a couple days.  Then it will mess up again.  

TV is a couple years old, but is well taken care of.  

Peter

Re: My Toshiba 37AV502U LCD TV channel flipping on its own

I would seek servicing. You can contact customer support at (800) 631-3811.

- Peter
grawls19

smcclintick1 wrote:

Recently my TV just started randomly flipping channels on its own.  

Its almost as if a up button is stuck.  

We have unplugged the tv.  Turned off and on etc.  

Doesn't only do it on the channels.  If we are quick enough to get it to the menu it starts going up on the menu selections also.  

The TV is connected to a cable box so it stays on channel 3 all the time.  We do not use the TV remote except when we change it the DVD player.  

We have taken the batteries out of the remote so we know its not the remote that is causing this.  

We never use the buttons on the side so I don't think it could the buttons would be stuck.  They don't look stuck.  

If we leave the TV off for a couple days it stops doing it and will let us turn it back to three and will be ok for a couple days.  Then it will mess up again.  

TV is a couple years old, but is well taken care of.  

Please advise on whether or not you were able to get this problem fixed. I am currently having the same exact problem and when I contacted Toshia Support they were absolutely no help at all.

Dan13914

Re: My Toshiba 40RV525U LCD TV has the same problem - channel flipping on its own

Model 40RV525U has the same issue.

Customer service can't help.

I can't trash since the picture is very good.

I know Toshiba must know what part is bad.

Please point to the part and I will replace it myself.

THX

Dan13914

Re: My Toshiba 40RV525U LCD TV has the same problem - channel flipping on its own

I found how to fix it myself.

In my case, something was wrong with the signal comes from the button control on the left side of the TV.

========================

What I did

========================

unplug the power cord.

Remove back cover.

Look into the motherboard ( biggest green at the center).

First, I disconnect a connector on the motherboard come from the IR board that receive the wireless signal control ( meaning the remote is disable).

I turn on the TV, press on Menu button on the TV side. Menu is still scrolling.

I turn off TV, disconnect power cord and connect the IR connector back to the motherboard.

I then disconnect the nearby connector that comes from the side control buttons.

Turn on the TV by remote, press menu button on the remote to check. The menu stays.

DONE.

I use electric tape to seal off the connector and let it hanging there.

Close the TV back panel

I have been watching TV for 3 nights without menus/channels scrolling.

NO AVAILABLE red message when watching DVD is no longer existed.

Hope this help someone else.

designEngineer

[ Edited ]

I have to agree with Dan...

My 32av502u was also switching channels backwards by itself.  I opened it and pulled the cable from the CN11 connector on the main logic board.  Before closing it up, I powered it up and it was no longer switching channels.  I powered it off and unplugged it again, reconnected the cable, powered it up again, and the problem was back.  Unplugged it and it went away.  Tried once more and each time the cable was plugged in, channels were flipping.  Each time it was disconnected, it was fine.

So since this thing is mounted pretty high on the wall, and we never use the side buttons, we have just left the cable disconnected.  (I cable-tied it to the nearby cable assembly to keep it from roaming around inside the tv.)

Bottom line is the problem is fixed, having cycled three times cable connected/disconnected, I'm sure this solved it, and the only thing is that we can't use the side buttons (remote only).

ghfenergy

Having the same problem with mine. You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the advise!!

harborlights96

My 40RV525U had the same problem with the volume going up to the maximum and staying there, along with constant manu scrolling.  The solution is to remove the back cover (lots and lots of screws!) and disconnect the cable that connects the side panel buttons to the mainboard.  You'll lose the functionality of them, of course, but the TV & remote will work fine. 

As stated in other postings, Toshiba is gonna charge hundreds of dollars for this fix.  They don't sell parts for these either.  Granted, my TV is about 5 years old but when I buy a thousand dollar TV I expect to get at least 10 years out of it.

I did discover that the side panel board and cable can be often be bought secondhand at a rather large online auction site (that I think we are all familier with) for under $20.  I would suggest if you want to replace the part this way you get both the board and cable. 

It's a very easy fix for anyone who 's 'handy', only takes about half an hour to take the thing apart and put it back together again, and requires no real electronic skills.

jcmulkey

Can yall put this in layman's terms for me??? Or email me pics??? Justinmulkey1991@gmail.com
trickilynn

Same problem, but this specific fix did not work for me

kkchin

I had the same problem. Dan's solution worked for me. I did one more thing though. I cleaned the solder joints of the side button circuit board with alcohol. After putting everything back together, the problem is gone. Now both the side panel buttons and the remote work perfectly. The volume is stable and the menu selections do not flip anymore. Looks like some conductive contaminant on the circuit boad had caused circuit short across the closed spaced solder joints.

The attached picture shows which board I am talking about.

Kwon