ajogg

I am having a problem hooking up my Xbox 360 to my new Toshiba 32" 32DT2U TV...

I just purchased this 32DT2U tv and have an older Xbox 360 with the red, white and yellow AV cables. I hooked up the Yellow (video in) to the Green port, and finally got the sound working, but the screen is grey and white. I see the game and all, but there's no color. Any suggestions? Should I just get an HDMI cable to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Peter

Re: I am having a problem hooking up my Xbox 360 to my new Toshiba 32" 32DT2U TV...

There are two types of connections that look similar.

Composite cables are colored red, white, and yellow. The red and white ports are for stereo audio and the yellow port is for video.

Component cables are colored red, white, blue, green, and another red. The red and white pair are exactly the same as the composite ones. They carry stereo audio. However, the HD video is split into components (hence the name) and carried by the blue, green, and red.

Your TV does not have composite ports, and connecting the yellow composite cable to any of those component videos ports will not work.

I thought that the older Xbox 360s came with a cable that had both. In other words, it had the stereo pair for the audio, the three for component video, and the one for composite video. If that's the case, simply ignore the yellow cable and connect the other five. There should be a toggle on the base of the cable that plugs into the 360 with a toggle for SD and HD. Switch it to HD.

Of course, this is all from memory, and I'm definitely not a 360 technical support agent. I'm guessing if your cable was like this, you would have tried, so they must have shipped with different box contents at some point.

You could purchase a component cable or an HDMI cable if you only have a composite cable. Personally, I would go for HDMI.

- Peter
ajogg

Re: I am having a problem hooking up my Xbox 360 to my new Toshiba 32" 32DT2U TV...

I ordered HDMI Cables the other day, so all I'll need to plug in as far as the Xbox 360 is 1 HDMI cable and the power cord for the Xbox 360, correct? If so, thanks. The Xbox I have just has the composite cords, it doesn't have both pairs, so I'll wait and see if it works when I get those HDMI Cables hooked up. Thanks again.

Peter

That's correct, just the power cord and the HDMI cable (and controllers for charging)!

- Peter