mscheapskate

Hulu listed on Toshiba's site!!! But not on my TV!

Check out http://us.toshiba.com/tv/research-center/technology-guides/internet-tv-apps

It clearly says:

"Apps Overview

Depending on the model, our NetTV™ with Yahoo! TV Widgets comes with a selection of today’s most popular online apps.

Treat yourself to the latest movie releases, TV and radio without ever leaving your living room. Download today’s hottest flicks from Netflix® and Blockbuster®. Watch shows and videos on Vudu® and Hulu™. Stream this week’s Top 40 hits from Pandora®. And take advantage of other movie and music apps too."

So why isn't Hulu in my widgets?  I set it up last night and even ran the software updates, which added Twitter and Facebook.  Where is Hulu?  It's why I finally bought an expensive wifi TV!!

Occasional Contributor
fhoegler

Re: Hulu listed on Toshiba's site!!! But not on my TV!

What model toshiba do you have. I have the SL417 and don't see Hulu. I have Netflix, Blockbuster, Vudu, Pandora, Yahoo, aand one other can't recall.

mscheapskate

32SL415U.  I assume the YahooTV widgets are just one package.  Do they offer them differently for different models?  I took it to mean any TV with the widgets got the same widgets.

mscheapskate

I called CS and asked that they pass on a request for Hulu to be added as it is listed on their site.  I suggest you do the same.  If enough of us ask for the software upgrade, maybe they will get around to doing it.  It's why I paid so much for this TV.

Kerntuber

I don't think that Hulu is on any of the Toshiba TV models.  From what I can tell from the web, Yahoo apps are some kind of open source system where anyone can develop apps and submit them to be placed on their site and connected to your TV.  This is why there are so may local news stations listed as widgets or apps from Yahoo.  I'm guessing someone that knew how to develop them contacted all the local stations and sold them the developed app.  Anyway, Hulu is available on Yahoo Apps on Vizio TV's and on Sony TV's.  My guess is that Toshiba has not paid Hulu the licensing fee to use their app on Toshiba TV's.  Since Toshiba is advertising that Hulu is available on Toshiba TV's, I would imagine that this amounts to fraud and could end in an "Unfair Business Practices" lawsuit of some sort if it isn't resolved.  There was probably discussion with Hulu prior to them implementing Hulu Plus and in the development of the TV and the Hulu changes they came to an impass on the licensing.  Hopefully they get it resolved soon so that we can access Hulu on our TV's in the future.

bcoulam

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty upset about this. I researched all the brands and models for years, waiting for flat panels to come down in price. When I decided to purchase the high-end 3D Toshiba, Hulu was advertised as an app. I got it in December and found that wasn't true.

I can hook up my laptop, but it's AV out is DisplayPort, which for some reason, with the appropriate adapter cable, does not deliver audio to the HDMI in port on the TV. So trying to watch Hulu on my TV is a problem when I have to rely on my laptop's little speakers for audio.

Please Toshiba, next to YouTube and Netflix, Hulu is one of the most used, ubiquitous sites on the net. Please provide a native app to access my Hulu account and view its content.

But I have yet to see an actual Toshiba rep replying to anything on this site, so I assume they don't even monitor these threads. Will be calling CS tomorrow and maybe every day after that.