Fanoosk

Attaching a Wii console to the 32DT2u Television

Can someone please tell me how to hook up a Wii console to the 32 DT2U television.  The Wii does not use a HDMI cable.  It has 3 RCA cables and a USB port.  I was told by a "gamer" that the USB port will not work.  Can't figure it out.  Please help!  Thanks.....

Peter

Re: Attaching a Wii console to the 32DT2u Television

[ Edited ]

On the back of the TV, do you see the red and white audio ports? Connect the red and white cables from the Wii to those. To the left of those two is a column of three ports. Plug the yellow cable into the top port.

Edit: After that, open the "Preferences" menu and switch "AV Input" from "ColorStream HD" to "Video."

- Peter
Sycopath

There are two types of connections you can use for the Wii:

1) Red, White and Yellow cables: are the basic cables that came with your console and are just standard resolution.

2) Green, Blue, Red (video) and red and white (audio) are composite cables and will give you 480p resolution. Which is obviously better.

Your tv should have these on the back or side of the tv. Hope that helps.

Roger

ajogg

I am having the same issue, I hear audio fine, but doing what you suggest I put the yellow cord into the top slot. I get a black and white picture. I can see the Wii page, but it's not in color. What am I doing wrong? I did exactly as you suggested and the pictures are in blacks and greys, please help.

robtimm

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue with bad image using composite video (red, white, yellow).  I bought an aftermarket component cable for $4 which I could not get to work at all, probably bad. 

As Peter the Toshiba moderator had posted, using the composite cable, plug the audio connectors (red and white) into the jacks on the right side of panel, and the yellow into the upper most on left (green) jack.  THEN go into menu and select Video rather than colorstream. Contrary to the spec sheet from Toshiba, there is no separate composite connector on the 32DT2U, the component connectors seem to be switched by using the menu selection as described.

Below is little primer on component vs composite from Wikipedia, however keep in mind you will see very little improvement with the Wii using composite as it does not output an HD signal (which is why you need to select video), so be happy with the red, white, yellow cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Don77

Peter - we have connected a new Wii console as you suggested in Feb 2012 post.  Games play in black and white.  Several users have suggested going to a 'Video' input on the TV.  Our question is how to get to "video' input on the TV.  Our input choices seem to be ant/cable; color streaming HD;  HDMi 1; HDMI 2, and pc.  This is a Toshiba 32DT2U1 appprox 1 yr old.  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Don

Peter

Hi Don,

The component (also called ColorStream HD) and composite (also called Video) connections share a single jack on the back of the TV. Rather than simply changing inputs, you have to go into the preferences to tell the TV you want to use it as Video rather than ColorStream HD. After that, you can change inputs and Video will correctly show up.

Open the "Preferences" menu and switch "AV Input" from "ColorStream HD" to "Video."

I should have noted that explicitly in my previous post, and I'm not sure why I didn't. I'll go back and edit that.

- Peter
Don77

Peter!  Thank you very much.  Worked like a charm!

Peter

Don77, I'm glad it's working. Happy gaming!

- Peter
mimspeas

I'm having the same problems cites previously and, alas, the "fixes" don't make sense to me and/or don't work. (I have a new 40-inch Toshiba HDTV.)

Where is this "preferences" menu that will allow me to change from "color stream HD" to "video"?

Using the "input" button on the remote doesn't bring up the "video" option.

Also...I have a DVD player I'd also like to hook up to the TV and I'm having the same problem.

How can I hook up both a DVD player and Wii to my television? The gentleman I talked to from Toshiba customer service told me it is possible. I can't figure out how.

Peter

mimspeas, what's the model number of your TV? I'll check for specific instructions. However, you should be able to open the preferences menu by pressing the "MENU" button on the remote.

The "Video" option can't be found when using the "Input" button becauase you don't have video input right now. You have ColorStream HD. After changing the setting, it will change the "ColorStream HD" to "Video" in the input menu.

- Peter
YazzyJ

Thanks Peter it worked perfectly

Etienne59

Hi Peter,

I have the exact same problem as described. I plugged in my wii and the image is in black and white.

I changed my TV preference for the av input to be on video and not color stream but it still doesn't work. The image is still in black and white.
I'm sure the wires are OK because when I plug them on my old TV, it is working great.

Any idea to solve this?

Thanks.

Etienne

Peter

I'm not sure, Etienne. You might want to contact customer support at (800) 631-3811.

- Peter
rontybd

HI,

how to connect wii to toshiba 32W1333d tv? 

Wii has only red yelloow white RCA cable and toshiba 32w1333d has no such port. 

help please

Peter

That doesn't appear to be a US model, so I don't have any information on it. If it's like US units, does it have component/colorstream inputs? You usually connect it to those ports, which will leave it in black and white, and then you change a setting on the TV. You might want to contact Toshiba in your region.

- Peter