Heisenberg
Accepted Solution

55HT1U turns on by itself, wont stay off

I purchased a 55HT1U last month.  Yesterday the tv started turning on by itself every few minutes and will not stay turned off.  I have read recent reviews on Toshiba Direct from several other owners who have had the exact same problem.  Of course this started happening when I was 2 days beyond the 30 day return window at Sears.  What causes this and what is the fix?

Regular Contributor
hb

Re: 55HT1U turns on by itself, wont stay off

Sounds like there's an auto-on feature that is probably getting triggered by a source signal on one of your inputs.

What's connected as sources?  Maybe a bad cable is creating noise that looks like input from a signal source to an auto-on feature.  Does the problem still happen if you disconnect the cables from all input sources?

Shoerino

You could try disabling Regza link in the menu.  It might help.

Please report back if that works for you.

Heisenberg

Turning off the Regza link indeed fixes the problem.  Thanks for the suggestion.

seastarri

I am having the same problem. I have it connected to a Dishnetwork reciever that even when turned off provides a video output in the form of a screensaver. Any suggestions?

Regular Contributor
hb

Try turning off Regza link since that fixed it for the op.

seastarri

I in fact had already turned off the REGZA link. That said I called both Dishnetwork and Toshiba. Dish had nothing to offer. Toshiba insisted they had NO reports of this problem. Interesting given whose forum this is.

Anyway Toshiba indicated that there is no auto on "feature". They had me simultaneously cycle the power on both the TV and the Dish receiver by unplugging them from the wall. This seems to have resolved the issue. I continue to have an issue every day or two with the Dish receiver stopping responding to the remote. All I have to do is turn the TV off, cycle the Dish receiver into standby and back and then turn the TV on and normal function returns. I can live with it.

davidlove007

Hello,

I too am having a problem with my TV turning back on by itself. I turned off the Regza Link but it has not had any affect. Please let me know what else I can do to solve this problem. Thank you!

EdMcMuffin

I'm having the same issue. Turning of the Regza thing didn't work for me. I did unplug my input and noticed it stopped. I am using the cheap HDMI given to me by the cable company. I'm gonna try using component video and see if there's still an issue. Then maybe buy some expensive HDMI cable and cross my fingers! I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning this TV!

EdMcMuffin

Hey, thought I would update everyone, hopefully it helps. I have a home theater reciever with HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I swapped out that cable going out from my reciever to my TV and it hasn't turned on by itself since. Prior to changing it out it was litteraly seconds after turning the TV off that it would come back on. Hope this helps some of you out. Looks like it could be noise from a cheap HDMI cable (Mine was a free one from the cable company) Good luck to everyone.

504Plumber

I am wondering to the post above mine, did the new HDMI cables work? I bought this tv a little after christmas, loved it until this afternoon it started turning on by itself. I unplugged and even switched HDMI cables and ports from my cable box, the only way my tv stays off is if that box is not plugged into an HDMI port. Regza is off and I really don't want to have to keep unplugging my HDMI cables just to keep my tv off. Next time I will be buying extended warranty....

berni

You said you bought at Christmas and are having problems now...but you should still be covered under the one year warranty.  My TV just started doing this (also bought last christmas), anyone have any luck with claiming this problem under the one year warranty?

nskorick

Same issue here, bought it over Christmas.  I'll keep everyone posted.  I do know my cables aren't cheap.

EC2011

FWIW I had problems with a Dish DVR that was interfering with turning the TV on and off.

mbailey

I am having this problem as well with an ATT Uverse box.  I've confirmed that all Regza Link options are disabled in the TV, tried new HDMI cables, and swapped out Uverse boxes for others in the house.

The TV still comes on about 5 minutes after powering off.  The only way to keep the TV off is to unplug the HDMI cable from the TV which goes to the Uverse box.  I have also tried a different HDMI port which did not work either.

mbailey

Just to update people, I spoke with ATT at length and they checked and didn't find any other users with this problem, nor were there any firmware updates the might have a feature that did this.  However, after about a month of having to unplug the HDMI cable after using the TV, it's not staying off again.

This seems to me like it was something to do with a firmware update from ATT, however I'm not sure why the TV would be responding to anything and turning itself on when I have explicitly disabled the Regza link.

It seems like this feature might not work and could be the cause of other people's frustrations trying to get their TVs to stay off as well.

Rastaman

All you need to do is reprogram your TV firmware.Go to DOWNLOADS and find the firmware and instructions for your TV,follow the instructions on how to update the firmware on your TV and that will solve your problem.

Jac5

I updated my firmware and now have this problem.  Ironically, I updated because my TV wouldn't come off standby - now the blooming thing won't stay off!

jwesbrooks

I had this same problem with my TV and it was under Extended Warranty.

The Tech guy suggested it could be oxidation on buttons on side of tv as we always used remote.

He suggested to

1.Unplug TV

2. Push each button on side of TV several times

3. Then plug TV up and it should fix problem.

He suggested doing this every 6 months and it should not repeat this "never turning off" problem

He did replace Main Board under Extended Warranty, but he doubted that was the problem fix.

Be aware if you have this Main Board replaced and it blocks you out at Pin Number request, it could

mean this was a refurbished board and whoever had it had a Parental Code.

****The only way to work around it is to Push the Recall button 4 times while at the Pin Screen input and it

should take it back to when there we NO Parental Control.  This Manual (68 pages) is found online at Toshiba website. Toshiba will charge you $35.00 just to tell you where to look!!

Erich96

I do not have this exact TV, but I do have a Toshiba. I recently got an AppleTV for Christmas. Shortly after I hooked everything up I noticed that my TV would not turn off. I would turn it off and shortly after, when it looked like it was actually off, the Toshiba logo at the bottom of the TV would flicker and it would turn back on. I've since read a couple other forums and found that if I hold the HDMI cable away from all other cords, the TV stays off when I turn it off. There must be some cross-talk between cables causing an input of some kind that causes the TV to repeatedly turn back on. I would suggest testing all video and audio cables to see if it fixes the problem. Hope this helps!