dukie

47L6200U DLNA Issues

I have been trying for days to get my TV to work with a DLNA server.

The closest I get is being able to see the files, get all the file information, but the moment I click the file it tells me its "Unsupported File". or if waiting for the preview to open it gives me the same error.

The thing is, it does this even with file's I can play thru USB.

I've tried Transcoding Media Servers, Non Transcoding Media Servers.

Nothing has worked at all, even when sharing specifically only one file which I'm able to play perfectly thru USB it gives me the Unsupported File error, or lists a shared directory containing the file I played from USB as no applicable media files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peter

Re: 47L6200U DLNA Issues

If you can't solve your issue and no one in the community can help, contact support to speak with a tech support agent at (800) 631-3811.

- Peter
MattyMattMatt

Same problems here. After finally getting this dumb TV to see files, I cannot get it to play anything. This is despite the fact that I have every conceivable format... I created the same test file over and over. Even some just for your supposedly supported formats. Nothing :smileysad:
Is this something you are going to fix firmware side? Or even better, how about giving us the dlna sw and files you used so we can figure out how to duplicate this?
On the upside, the picture quality is great without even having adjusted. Little fine tuning in the future may even make it better. The backlight bleed some people complained about I can only see in really dark scenes with lights off, so I deem that acceptable. Its a great TV, now if only it was a smart tv.

Rambug

[ Edited ]

Same thing here for me. Tried every possible DLNA server without success. Mezzmo, Serviio, Windows 7, etc... nothing work. I needed Divx support but this is not supported like LG does.

Please fix you firmware to better support DLNA.

Thank you.

Regular Contributor
Railhound

The problem I have is that the TV just disconnects from the DLNA server after say 20 minutes. I have a different model TV but the issue is the same across this servies of Toshiba TVs.

MattyMattMatt

This implies that you can get it to play the files, even if just for a little bit. Please tell me how and if at all possible, share a test file. Please. Toshiba support was of no use... should be open on weekends, when people are not working.

Regular Contributor
Railhound

Well the media player doesn't support many file types. I can get it to play files from my Media Centre PC.  Can you see the files coming up on your TV? Just so I know how to help are you pretty adept at computers?

MattyMattMatt

Im a programmer and I have been using avisynth for a few years now. I understand computers and video files. The files pop up (the compatible ones), but the videos will not play. I am using serviio with the regza profile from my laptop. I have a server, but it is not set up yet. Trying to get rid of it anyway. Eventually Id love to juts hook some storage to my router and use its dlna capabilities. I do have a media centre pc as well.

Regular Contributor
Railhound

Ok well obviously, all of the usual steps I would advise someone to take have been done with a person of your experience and knowledge.

The videos I have tried won't play. For example, I record a show on my Media Centre and then try and play it using the TV. The problem is that the TV media player doesn't support the Microsoft video file format. I didn't brother to try and convert any file to an MPEG and see if that would work. The media player does seem to support Microsoft format for music.

It doesn't matter now any how because the connections to the DNLA servers gets lost after about 20 minutes. I've given up on using this TV as a smart TV. I should have done what I was going to do in the first place and just bought a computer and a large screen dumb tv to display. I have a media room with a computer and projector set up this way but my wife wanted a "simple TV" in our family room versus a computer with a tuner and a large format TV for display purposes.  Big mistake.

This would be my suggestion for you. You will just waste your time trying to get this TV to work as advertised. It just doesn't work as advertised end of story. I have tried to get Toshiba to fix the issues but to no avail. I called technical support and because I'm out of warranty it's my problem. When it was in warranty, the shop they sent me to told me not to bother replacing the motherboard because the TV is defective out of the box.

Toshiba did issue a fix for the CISCO problem after I spent months of my time debugging the issue for them. I did not apply it because I changed my WAN CISCO router to an SMC model. I wish they would have put some technical information up about this fix as one might be able to make changes to the router(s) (WAN and/or LAN) to help mitigate issues.

dukie

[ Edited ]

There is a fix for the disconnect after a period of time on some Toshiba units.

At least ive read about it on the Serviio forums.

Cant tell you if it works though because i havent been able to stream any movie content.

I have managed to stream mp3's which is horrendously slow, no JPG's so far for me.

Matt how did you get jpg's to work on your's?

I actually just managed to get a mp4 to bug play thru the preview window on the side, for like 4 random frames.

when clicked to start it wont work at all same unsopported file error.

I wonder if the real reason this doesnt work is actually something to do with the preview window setup over streaming etc.

Rambug

Finally got it working with Wild Media Server after some tweaks. This TV is really bad with DLNA.

MattyMattMatt

[ Edited ]

What did you do? First I am hearing of this one, so I am downloading it now to see if I can get it to work. I'll be back.

EDIT: Got nowhere fast. Even tried to tell it to just transcode everything. Didn't work. Cannot even get it to see the files... The forums are not much help either.

Dukie, jpgs and mp3s worked once I picked regza profile in serviio. I remember testing with jpg and jpeg extension, but I think both worked. I've honestly almost given up on this. I might be better off just getting my mum a samsung bluray and telling her to go via that. Or maybe I will build her a living room pc, though again, that will be complicated for her. Maybe boxee or something.

Regular Contributor
Railhound

dukie wrote:

There is a fix for the disconnect after a period of time on some Toshiba units.

At least ive read about it on the Serviio forums.

Can you provide a link to the site please.  

Thanks

Regular Contributor
Railhound

[ Edited ]

MattyMattMatt
Sorry man. I can't help you. You have way more knowledge of DNLA servers than I. Although if I figure something out I will post it here. I was the one who figured out that there was an issue with CISCO WAN routers and Toshiba TVs. (Actually it was the local warrenty shop here that told me).
I have spent weeks and months of my time tying to get my TV 42SL417 to work. These are common problems across Toshiba models. That leads me to suggest that it is a firmware issue or the selection of one hardware component in the maufacture that is garbage.
You would think Toshiba would want to fix these issues. It must be costing them a fortune. You should read the posting here from the guy from India.
dukie

[ Edited ]

Rambug wrote:

Finally got it working with Wild Media Server after some tweaks. This TV is really bad with DLNA.

I played around with Wild last night and wasnt able to get it to work, managed to get it to show file content using the default 1.5 DLNA profile, but nothing playable.

Can you share your "tweaks" hopefully if I can get it to work with WILD, i can tweak it to work with PS3 Media Center also, because WILD has an atrociously bad interface.

dukie

Ok finally some progress on my part...

Using WILD.

What you have to do is using Wild is get the media folders setup, then start the server.

Go to settings.
Then Devices.

Look for in the list, Linux/2.6.32.24-arm-r1.0.0a3, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.14
Highlight, hit settings on your right.
On Type, change it to DLNA device 1.0

I got it to work with mp4's that way for sure, and the preview window works, and everything.

Just got this to work now i can fine tune it and hopefully get it to work with ps3 media server.

Rambug

[ Edited ]

Sorry to be late..

Here is what I've done with Wild Media Server... (My interface is in french so be kind with my translation)

- Go to Parameters

- Choose device on the left

- Double click on Toshiba TV

- Click 'Preferences' at the bottom left

- Choose 'DLNA Device (version 1.5, 16:9, 720x406)' for type

- Select Upnp, DLNA on the left

- Check DLNA 1.5

- Click Codecs on the left

- File format to mp4

- Video codec : X264

- Audio codec : AAC

- Size modification : always (not sure if necessary)

- Click 'Apply' and OK

- Select 'Transcoding' on the left

- At the bottom I put 'Movies (primary) for the transcoding profil

- Click 'Apply'

Now it should work. Please let us know if it works...

MattyMattMatt

[ Edited ]

Rambug, no idea why 1.5 work for you, but 1.0 works for me. Now I just have to figure out how to stop this from changing my aspect ratio. Just seems stupid to squish everything into 16:9 no matter what.

Using all this info I am going to try and make serviio work for me. I feel it is just such a better implemented solution.

So thank you Dukie for that 1.0 tip. It works for me now. The fact that Toshiba is of no help whatsoever is disappointing to say the least. Ill be sure to not sell your stuff anymore. Your discount for retail employees is also terrible. Its too bad, really liked you guys, but this has certainly turned me off your products. I will probably still buy a higher end Samsung bluray just because the implementation is that bad.
Now to see if I get that same disconnect problem I have read others have.

Regular Contributor
Railhound

MattyMattMatt wrote:

I will probably still buy a higher end Samsung bluray just because the implementation is that bad.
Now to see if I get that same disconnect problem I have read others have.

I understand from the local repair shop that Samsung has similar issues with CISCO routers causing the TV to go on and off and turn into a brick. I don't know if that also applies to disconnects from the DLNA servers.

My suggestion would be to not buy a "smart" TV but to just buy a computer with a tuner and hook it up to a quality "dumb" monitor. Toshiba's TVs simply do not work as advertised and from what I'm hearing other manufaurers are having some difficulties as well. They probably are using some common part that is defective.

It is really surprising how quiet Toshiba is on this issue. Wouldn't they want to fix the issues rather than continuing to manufacture defective Tvs?

Beats me but I guess so.

MattyMattMatt

I have never had an issue with the Samsung set disconnecting. I just need to do some testing on whether or not the toshiba is going to have the disconnect issue.