RobA

46G310U random power off / power on

On a Toshiba LCD TV [46G310U], the unit will randomly just shut off. Screen of course goes blank, lower left green power button goes out. Then after approximately 30-45 seconds, it will simply turn back on. The unit is only 8 months old.  There does not appear to be any obvious pattern as to when it happens [ie. length of time the unit is on?, overheating?]. It has happened a few times during one evening.  Reset the unit to factory defaults and will monitor although my guess is that this will not resolve the issue. Have seen other posts on power board issues for this model although these issues appear to show no recovery. Have others experienced this? Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Re: 46G310U random power off / power on

If the problem is still there after the factory reset, you may want to contact customer support at (800) 631-3811.

- Peter
moffatpeek

My same set has been experiencing the same symptoms. Any answers to help fix this?
Lupinskitten

So far nothing... mine's been doing it since October (4 months after I purchased it). So far I've had the motherboard replaced and all the software re-loaded, to no effect. It also gets worse the longer it goes on -- at first, it would work for 3 hours at a time, now I have to unplug it/re-plug it in every 5 minutes. =/

TinaTanuz

I've had mine for about 10 months... I hate that I can't watch a program without it shutting down every 20 minutes or so... What gives??? Spent over $600 on a hunk of junk!! Never again will I buy a Toshiba product!
TinaTanuz

And when I called customer support I had no warranty so in order for them to talk to me I have to pay more money! I'm less than pleased!!!
Eczjames

I have the same problem. Mine turns off for about a minute then turns on for only about 5 minutes. But when you first turn it on, it plays for a good while. Then IT STARTS!!!!! Very frustrating! The Toshiba tech support has directed me to my local authorized service center. And I had to pay $35 for the bit of trouble shooting they did that didn't work. I'm not a happy camper :-(
hunter2013

Mine is doing the same thing.  Model 37AV502R.  I too am terribly disappointed.  Shopping for a new one - no more Toshiba that's for sure.  Called the support line and they said all brands do this!  So that makes it OK?  Class action lawsuit?  Sign me up.

TONYD26

I have a 46G31OU that is less than 2 yrs old and the the issue of the screen going blank,then the losing audio  has been happening a couple of weeks now. The TV stays on after being plugged back in for 1 minute and goes out. I see that some people are having the exact same issue and that tells me the TV is garbage that Toshiba does not stand behind. NO HELP FROM CUSTOMER SVC! The repair will cost as much as a new TV so i guess im back to buying Pioneer because Pioneer sttod behind a TV that went bad after 5 yrs and covered the cost. Never again will i buy Toshiba and thats a shame.

hunter2013 wrote:

Mine is doing the same thing.  Model 37AV502R.  I too am terribly disappointed.  Shopping for a new one - no more Toshiba that's for sure.  Called the support line and they said all brands do this!  So that makes it OK?  Class action lawsuit?  Sign me up.

Regular Contributor
Railhound

See my many posts here on these forums about this issue. It is a known problem with certain cable modems. For whatever the reason the TV will shut down at odd times when connected to certian cable modems. I wish people would read these forums before buying. I twould save them a lot of trouble.

dshaffse

Where again can I find your information?  I did have a different cable box for the first 6 months then I got the new ones comcast has out.  It also starter when my airconditioner comes on and pulls the electric.  I have it on a surge protector but thats not for voltage decrease.  Do you think that has anything to do with it?  It still does it off and on randomly. 

Regular Contributor
Railhound

Just do a search on my id "Railhound" I have all kinds of posts here.

This has been an issue for years with various models it seems. It has something to do with the connection to the LAN. Certain types of cable modems react badly with this TV. Actually I should say the reverse. This TV acts badly with certain types of cable modems.

So, Toshiba has not responded here to the problem. I am not going rewrite everything here but the Toshiba repair shops here in my city are aware of the issue.

It gets worse. It doesn't work well with DLNA servers either. It seems that there is a serious design flaw in the LAN components of this TV. No amount of the usual unplug and replug in your TV will fix that. After 70 plus posts here I have not had one response from Toshiba. I just keep posting to help some folks to not waste their time.

dshaffse

I don't have a cable modem just a comcast box for cable tv.  I do know that it started when my A/C unit drain to much electricity from tv and it went into this mode.  My question is I have it open and I want to order or buy the power board because I think then delay safety feature must be in it.   My question is Do you think it is in the PS board?  I can find one on ebay that new.  

Regular Contributor
Railhound

Who provides your internet, The cable company?

dshaffse

I fixed it.  The backlight and contrast in pisture control is at full 100%.   I turn it down and most other controls to off.  It stopped and plays as new and the backlight dimmed is barely noticable.  So its all good.  If you have any others that are having the off/on 45 second interval..  Let them know to turn backlight less then 75% and it should be fine.   

GeorgeK1

There is a repair for this on ebay, go to ebay and type in Toshiba 46G310U repair service and it will come right up. 

oldtech

There is a surface mount cap that is leaking and causing the power supply to go into "brown out" mode and shut down.

The cap is C808 and is on the back of the board by U2.  Remove the cap.  Desolder it, or break it off.  Get rid of it and replace it with a .22uf soldered to pins 2 & 3 of U2 (or equivalent wiring).  Pin 2 is the brownout signal, and pin 3 is common.

That should do it!

Regular Contributor
Railhound

[ Edited ]

Wow. So you have a new TV and you have to fix the motherboard's design flaw.

Hmmm. That's also pretty hard to do if it is surface mount components. Not easy for the average person.

What is causing it to detect a "brown out".

JoeValotta

There is a repair for this on ebay, go to ebay and type in Toshiba 46G310U repair service and it will come right up. 

Just Service  Ask for Ray great guy 312-473-7494

JoeValotta

changing c808 to a .22uf will not fix the problem but only make the TV stay on a little longer before it shuts off again. There is a design flaw in the cicuit with the Chicony PK101V2520I REV:01 power board  Goto justservice.com they have the fix  it's on ebay . Just enter 46G310u random power fix.