DarthEvader

46G300U Intermittent Flickering / Flashing / Pulsating

I along with several other people on avsforum.com are seeing a problem with the 46G300U since we purchased it around Thanksgiving (good prices).  One person even bought two of these TV's and BOTH of them showed this same problem.

The TV will begin flickering / flashing / pulsating, usually when watching HD video.  I've seen this happen on all of the inputs, including the antenna input.  To describe the flicker, I would say that it reminds me of a fluorescent light when it is starting to go bad.  Turning the backlight all the way up helps to mask the flashing, but turning it all the way down is the best way to see it happening.  I have a feeling that's why lcjhorne12 said that turning up the backlight resolved his problem in this thread:  http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/TV-Troubleshooting-and-How-To-s/Random-blinks-on-46G300U1-with-Dish-Net...

It seems that the problem may revolve around when the "Film Stabilization" 120Hz setting is enabled, but I haven't completely verified this yet. It only intermittently happens and I haven't found an exact trigger.  For example, I had the TV on ALL weekend and it didn't start flashing until late Sunday night when I was watching a HD movie from Comcast DVR.   

A couple of us on avsforum.com have called Toshiba technical support and while they admitted that it should not be doing this, they told both of us that nobody has ever called in with this problem before and our only hope for resolution was to take it in for repair.  Since others are seeing the problem, I doubt taking it in for repair will result in anything other than me not having a TV for a couple weeks (and the repair guy most likely saying that he didn't find any problems). 

Anyway, I wanted to start a conversation here to see if there are others seeing this problem and if there is any hope of a firmware update to fix the problem (or some other fix).

You can read through the avsforum.com thread here:  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19642949&posted=1#post19642949 

RobEP

Re: 46G300U Intermittent Flickering / Flashing / Pulsating

I am a user with the EXACT same problem. I purchased two of these sets and as soon as Film stabilization is turned on, it Flicklers (Like the backlight is cutting in and our or something)

I called the Toshiba support line and they were some of the most smug support staff I have ever dealt with. They also told me it's a none issue. This site begs to differ.

I hope to hear from someone within Toshiba soon. I have less than 30 days to return these sets, which i will do, if a fix is not identified. Why would we turn off 120hz and Film Stabilization? Those are the reasons we bought the set.

2 HDMI feeds (PS3 and 360) When watching Bluray or Movies, especially bright backgrounds, like snow, show this problem. Component (Cable for me) if I am on an HD channel, same thing happens. I can correct it by turning OFF film stabilization, but again, this is not something I want to do.

JustMark

Just bought the 46G3001 3 days ago, and we've noticed that flickering on the HD channels.  I'll try the work-arounds mentioned by others, but thought we'd let Toshiba know that we've noticed the same issue several times in the last few days.

Steven_P

I am also experiencing this problem! I just received the television set 3 days ago. Toshiba has 27 days to provide a firmware fix or altnerative ... Otherwise, I'm spending the extra 100 dollars and getting the KDL-46EX500.

I have been a loyal Toshiba customer for a VERY long time. It'd be nice to see them pull through with at least some recognition, a firmware update would be even better. :smileywink:

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

FYI, Toshiba technical staff have reviewed this thread and the one referenced at avsforum.com, and are investigating.  I'll post any updates to this thread.

Jim

FatGoldChain

I am also experiencing this problem when switching to game mode on my Xbox 360 on input. I can usually trigger the symptom by switching game mode on and off a few times. This is easily remedied by shutting off the TV and turning it back on and only toggling game mode on once. Although, they do need to address this issue and provide a proper fix.

MrTechGuy

I've also had the exact problem, it looks like the backlight is flickering, changing inputs had no effect, power cycling the TV resolved the issue temporarily.  Occured both on Bluray player (constantly on HDMI, occationally on component - tried newest HDMI cables 1.4 with no improvement) and on dish 722 DVR reciever intermittently.  Never had an issue on our last HD TV.

Updated the firmware to the latest posted (12/4), no change.  Hopefully a fix is on the way, otherwise they're likely to get a pile of these back as returns...

If you're considering a purchase of this model, I'd hold off or look elsewhere until it's reported that the issue is resolved, if you're still able to return without a restocking fee, I'd say go for it.  They get enough of them back, they'll fix it.

andrejhoward

I also had the flickering problem.

I can verify that it only occurs with the clearframe enabled and Film Stabilization setting turned on.

I upgraded the firmware to no avail.  Then on a whim I reset the settings on my PS3 and re-setup the display settings and HDMI options.  

Since then I've used all 4 inputs and more than 60 minutes testing on each.  The problem has not returned.
I had a friend bring over his PS3 hooked up, flickered, changed settings, NO more flickering.  

I'm not sure what settings you can change for the dish box but I'd be happy to help anyone else out as this was really frustrating to me.

tvsteeler

I bought the Toshiba 46g300u1 on August 15, 2010.  Since then, I have experienced exactly what others are describing on this page.  When it initially happened I was in denial, and did not try to fix the problem or report it to Toshiba.  After the same thing happened several times I felt it should be dealt with.  I wish the problem would have happened within the first 30 days, because I would have returned it to the store and got my money back.  However.....

I called Toshiba tech support (which isn't open on weekends ???) and they suggested I unplug the set and wait one minute.  They told me it was to reset the processor inside.  They told me if it happened again, to pull up the menu to see if the flickering effected the menu box as well as the picture area.  So, when it happened again, I did as I was asked, and yes, the menu portion of the box was effected.

Again I called Toshiba and spoke to a customer service rep.  who was not helpful, and who repeatedly said "I apologize for the inconvenience sir".  I asked him to stop saying that as it was not helping my frustration level.  Just as soon as he agreed to my request, he said he was sorry for the inconvenience.  I guess either he was not listening to me, or he just wanted to upset me more.  Don't know which is worse. He then gave me a number for a local repair shop who, he said, would come to my place and look at the tv. 

I called the repair shop and set an appointment for this morning.  Sunday morning house calls..A glimmer of light!!!  I could not reproduce the problem, so he said to record it and email it to him.  He believes with 90% certainty it is a problem with the screen. After he reviews my recording, he is going to make a decision, and order the screen.  It will be installed in my living room, right in front of me.

I am happy I am not the only one with this problem, but believe Toshiba should be doing more to investigate the issues, and compensate the people in which it has effected. I paid for a new tv, and now I own a repaired tv months later.  Not right!!  Depending on how this issue is dealt with will drastically effect my decisions when it comes to consumer electronics.

Regular Contributor
hb

tvsteeler,

So did the repair happen yet?  

Imo, if a new display fixes the problem then you're arguably better off with a new repaired TV than a TV with all the original parts.  The display will be the newest part of your TV and everything else will be as new as it was before the repair.  But then I'm one of those guys who buys a lot of refurbished gear...

Of course, getting it fixed is a hassle but that's why we have warranties.  Stuff happens.   ;-)

tvsteeler

hb,

Ya, I know stuff happens, but I don't think it should happen as often as it does.  I don't often buy refurbished stuff, and when I do I don't get upset when something goes wrong. After all, I paid a reduced price.  But, as it stands, I have paid for a new unit, and I have a refurbished one.  You are absolutely right, after the repair, I will have a better product than I did, but keep in mind....It is only as good as it should have been before the repair. In addition, what is my time worth.  I do not think it right that I have to spend ANY of my time fixing this.  I suppose that is going a little far, but I guess I am tired of paying the dollar value for electronics and then spending my time paying for the same thing. Maybe the thing to do is doing what you do...buy refurbished stuff??? 

As of yet, the repair has not happened.  I sent some video footage tonight.  What I am seeing on the screen does not at all translate very well.  I do not know if it is going to satisfy the repair guy.  He then will share it with Toshiba, and they will make a decision. 

I suppose, as long as the darn thing gets fixed I will be OK with it.  If the hassle to me is limited, and Toshiba actually takes care of the situation....even if it costs me another Sunday morning...I will consider buying Toshiba again.  It will all depend on how much Toshiba makes me pay for Toshiba's mistake.

Regular Contributor
hb

@tvsteeler: Fair enough.  I can relate to the personal time cost.  I'm finding myself less and less interested in tweaking and troubleshooting even as I'm connecting more things than ever.  I just want stuff to work so I can relax and enjoy it!  

DanT

I have this same flickering problem.  The screen will sometimes flicker from dim to bright on occasion (even in the menus and when there is no input). It doesn’t matter whether I’m using my Bluray player, DVD player or Xbox, the problem persists. Sometimes toggling the inputs help and sometimes it doesn't.  It's a pervasive problem and had I known it would cause so much frustration, I would have returned it within the first 30 days to never look back.  I doubt a screen replacement will remedy the problem.  Everybody who has this TV has this exact same problem indicating it’s inherent in the design. Unless Toshiba upgraded the screen during production a screen replacement is probably a waste of time.  My guess is the firmware is modulating the brightness levels or the power supply to the back light is somehow unstable- but what do I know.  In any case, it would be nice of Toshiba to fix the problem before I opt for a Craigslist sell off and buy something else.

BTW: Thanks to everybody for posting to this message board!!  If Toshiba fixes the situation, it’s majorly due to the people who care to report the issues.

DarthEvader

As the OP of this thread, I want to thank everyone for their replies.  It is nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem.  As DanT mentioned, unless Toshiba finds a solution or makes a statement in the near future, I too will be placing a Craigslist advertisement and purchasing some other brand.

On a side note, I happened to read a very detailed review of the 46G300U on the televisioninfo.com website.  They do advanced testing using expensive calibration equipment, etc. It's a pretty good article (except for the pop-up advertisements) and I thought I would share:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Toshiba-46G300U-LCD-HDTV-Review.htm

This is the page where they provide a setting-by-setting calibration guide for the best picture quality:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Toshiba-46G300U-LCD-HDTV-Review/Calibration.htm

Tina62

I just purchased the 46G300U yesterday, and noticed this flickering right away.  I'll try turning off the Film Stabilization to see if we're still happy with the picture quality, but if not, back to the store it goes!

Vince87

[ Edited ]

Hi! I bought the same LCD TV from Leon's yesterday (it was reduced to $799 CAD).

I'm quite happy with it except for this flickering problem. For me, it happened the first time when watching an HD movie rented over "Videotron sur demande" (PPV on my cable box, connected to my TV via component cables).

Turning off "film-stabilization" seemed to fix it and it didnt flickered when I turned it back on (I only had 5 min left to my movie though).

I also updated the firmware prior to noticing the problem. I hope for a software fix (i.e. firmware update) withing the next 25 days or I will return the TV back the Leon's.

DavidEB

I bought my 46G300U1 from a local TV shop during the Friday holiday sales (11/26/2010).  After a day of use, I began seeing the problem described by others here.  The pulsing would begin to happen after an hour or so of watching _anything_, (BluRay per HDMI, Comcast DVR/cable via HDMI, Xbox360 via Component.)  I realized fairly quickly that changing _any_ setting related to 'ClearFrame' or 'Stabilization', would correct the problem for a short time...  sometimes another hour, before it would start up again.  I left the unit in various combinations of off/on for those features.  No matter which way it was left, the problem returned, and I would change the settings to anything else, and it stopped.  After a week of this, I called the TV shop, who brought me an identical replacement.

The replacement unit, began intermittently pulsing after a few days.  This time, rather than pulsing continuously, it starts to do it every once in a while... building up to doing so constantly.  With this replacement, the problem only occurs when ClearFrame is on, but doesn't seem to matter what setting the stabilization is on...  once the problem begins...  I can change the stabilization settings to anything else, and it goes away for a few hours.  Toggling any other setting doesn't seem to make the problem go away, like in the first unit.

My set was manufactured June 2010, ser# A23170M09618K1, firmware ver 1.04

I'm about to upgrade the firmware to 1.06...  But based on other comments here, I don't expect the issues to be addressed.  I will post an update once I've some experience with the 1.06 fw.

I had the choice to spend nearly the same amount on a similar Samsung and Sony units.  I'm hoping that Toshiba doesn't leave us in the flickering dark.  I'm beginning to regret this purchase.  Please turn this around.

I will make a call to support, only to add my voice...  but I'm not looking forward to condescension, or being treated like the issue doesn't exist.

tvsteeler

For all those interested, I thought I would bring you up to speed on where I stand in my dealings with Toshiba, regarding this issue.

My TV was picked up a week ago today.  It was delivered to Toshiba Canada, because they were "interested" in the issue.

After a week of watching the wall, I received a call from a Toshiba representative in Markham, Ontario, Canada.  I live in Toronto Canada, and for those of you who do not know, Markham is the city just north of Toronto, about 10 km away.  He told me, unfortunately, he didn't have any real answers, but he would like some information from me.  I did my very best to answer his questions.

To keep it short, as I sometimes have a problem doing, he asked me if I would mind being their Guiana pig with this issue.  I told him I had no problem with it, as long as they could resolve the issue. If the issue can not be resolved in a reasonable amount of time, with limited inconvenience to me and my girlfriend, I want another resolution, (read....A refund or upgrade). 

They feel the problem lay in the "board" or "processor" and not in the screen.  However, this is just an educated guess.  They will install a new board, and return the TV.  I am to use the unit as normal, and report my findings...Either way.  If it is not the board..On to the next component, the panal (screen).  If that does not resolve it, we agreed, I would be dealing with customer service for an alternate resolution.

On the one hand I am disappointed in the product.  On the other hand, the guy at Toshiba today was very helpful and seem legitimately concerned, unlike the guy at tech support on which I reported earlier (see my earlier postings for more detail).  I am quite happy with how he is handling the situation, and hope it stays this way.  For all of your sakes, as well as mine, I am in the highest hopes he can identify the issue and be able to find a solution. 

As for all of you hoping for firmware updates soon, it may be a while.  I can say, Toshiba Canada has a TV where the problem exists...And they can not identify the problem.  In their defense, they can not reproduce the issue, but nevertheless the fix may be a while.

I get my unit back tomorrow or the next day.  I will not know for some time whether the replacement part(s) have fixed the issue.  I really hope it has.  If it has, I am sure a firmware update will resolve the issue.  If not, it is more than likely in the screen, and then I think that is a whole other kettle of fish...Firmware update resolution...I think not. 

I

Inad

I see the same problem. TV bought in US 11/26/2010. I see the problem even with the calibration suggestions from this thread. I noticed on my TV happens more often during evenings. I wonder if there's a feature to dimm the backlight based on ambient light and it has a bug and keeps going on/off when the ambient light is not really bright or really dark.

buckdude

I got mine last week and it has the same flickering problem. I can temporarily fix it by cycling through the HDMI inputs or messing with the ClearFrame (turning it on or off) or messing with the film stabilization (standard, smooth, off). I noticed an additional sign or symptom of the problem. The screen will be working normally for a long period  then right before the flickering starts, the screen turns black for a split second. This characteristic seems like always precedes the flickering sequences.  I am not sure maybe something internally drops out, shorts or destabilizes.

I love the TV and price but am very disappointed in this problem. It seems like this is very common. Does anyone have a 46G300 set that does not flicker??? The tv is under the 30 day free return policy so I can return or perhaps exchange for a Samsung. I would love to get a Toshiba without this problem but I am not going to spend my money on a defective tv.